Electric cars for kids are getting popular as Tesla cars dominate the transition from fuel-based to electric-powered vehicles. For kids, electric cars enable them to have fun and feel as if they are driving a real car. Many electric cars for kids now have radio control and batteries with long-lasting life. Parents can now feel safe about letting their children drive an electric car around the neighborhood.
What to consider when picking the best electric cars for kids;
- Safety: The most important thing to consider is the safety features of an electric car such as safety strap. You want your child to be safe while having fun.
- Type of tires: The type of tires is also important as it affects the stability and speed of an electric car. Tires with rubber coverings are good for outdoor use and those with plastic covering work better on smooth surfaces such as hardwood floors, concrete, and tile flooring as they don’t slip.
- Budget: As a parent you want your child to have fun but you also want them to use it within your budget constraints. For kids high-quality electric cars are slightly expensive compared to other vehicles for children. It is important to know the features of each electric car in order to get the best deal.
- Weight it can support: The maximum weight an electric car can support will determine the age group of children who can drive it. Electric cars with high weight capacity are safe for older kids, whereas smaller ones are best for toddlers.
- Space in the car and back storage: An electric car’s storage space can affect how long your child plays with it. An indication of the game longevity is the amount of time spent by kids playing with it on average, that way you can choose an appropriate sized car for your child.
- Battery life: The battery life of any vehicle determines its use and playtime before charging again. With normal use, an electric car can last up to 4 hours. Different batteries charge at different speeds and it is important to check the charging time of each car before purchase.
- Speed: Electric cars come with different speed settings and maximum speed. They are appropriate for kids who are old enough not to be distracted by the speed as they might cause accidents or injuries.
- Radio control: Many electric cars for kids have a radio control feature that enables the parent to drive the car from a distance if their child cannot do so themselves. It is important that you select a fast enough remote control car so your child does not get distracted by the speed of the remote-controlled car and focus more on driving it.
- Design: The design of an electric car affects how much your child wants to play with it. It is important to select a car that has bright colors and appealing looks. Whether the electric car is realistic or not will also determine how much your child wants it.
Although electric cars for kids come in different designs and colors, the most important thing is that you as a parent feel comfortable with what your child is playing with. You can always buy more than one car if they like to play with more than one toy. However designing their room around the toys might be challenging, but it can be fun as well.
Our top picks:
- Peg Perego John Deere
- 12V Ride on Kids Electric Car
- Power Wheels Dune Racer
- 12V Ride on Lamborgini
- 12V Electric Ride Modern-Depo Police Pursuit
- Power Wheels Jurassic World
- Radio Flyer Tesla Model
- Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
- Carbon Black SLS AMG Mercedes Benz
- Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali
Reviews of 10 Best Electric Cars for Kids 2022
#1. Peg Perego John Deere: Overall Best
The Peg Perego by John Deere emerged as the overall best electric car for kids in our 2022 list. It is currently the best-selling electric car for kids on Amazon and over 1700 parents have rated it 4.5/5 (average) as of this publication in October 2019. Whether your kids like farming or not, this electric car will get your toddler comfortable and feeling like a real mature farmer. It comes with a detachable trailer and is very ideal for outdoor use, perhaps very ideal if you live in the country. Any toddler from ages 3 to 7 will find this John Deere branded electric car their favorite baby gear.
Aside from being one of our 10 best electric cars in the market, Peg Perego is unique in a few ways that made us rank it top ahead of others in this list. Some of the features we really like are:
- Flip-up armrests
- Adjustable seat
- Two-speed levels and a reverse gear
The table below summarizes the features of John Perego electric car:
|Name||Peg Perego John Deere|
|Manufactured||Fort Wayne, Indiana|
|Power Up||12-volt rechargeable battery and charger included|
|Speeds||2 ½ or 4 ½ mph on grass, dirt or hard surfaces (4 ½ mph lockout for beginners)|
|Weight Capacity||Can hold up to 130 lbs|
- Peg Perego John Deere is great for toddlers from age 3 to age 7
- It has high traction wheels that enable it to maintain good friction on the ground and avoid sliding
- You can choose from 2 speeds and can also reverse it
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 85 pounds
- It weighs 50 pounds
- It has a radio that connects to FM frequency.
2. The battery power is great for a kids’ toy.
3. It really has good traction on grass even when it is kinda wet.
4. It is easy to assemble
2. It is not very efficient on concrete or blacktop.
3. There are a ton of steps to change out the battery of the radio.
#2. 12V Ride on Kids Electric Car: Best for Off-road
Best Choice Products presents this 12V Ride On Truck for kids. With a realistic driving experience, controls sized for small hands, and a powerful 12V battery that runs up to 2 hours on a full charge, this truck provides hours of interactive fun. The four-wheel drive with spring suspension pairs with working LED headlights for a realistic multi-terrain experience, while the safety belts with locking doors keep your child safe while cruising around the house.
- Weighs 45 lbs
- It is recommended for kids from the age of 3 years
- The run time is 1 – 2 hours
- The battery is rechargeable and it comes together with a charger
- A built-in AUX outlet allows your kid to plug into their music of choice.
|Name||Best Choice Products 12V Ride On Car Truck w/ Remote Control, 3 Speeds, Spring Suspension, LED Light – Red|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon|| 4.1 out of 5 stars |
#3 in Kids’ Electric Vehicles
|Weight limit||Depends on the size of your kid|
|Speed Range||1.75-3.75 mph|
|Charge Time||8-12 hrs|
2. It is easy to assemble and works efficiently.
3. Great parent controller and good music.
4. Batteries are easy to change as long as you get the right measurements.
2. The wheels are not always perfectly aligned.
3. Not suggested to use on wet grass.
#3. Power Wheels Dune Racer
Power Wheels Dune Racer is the third-best electric car for kids you can find today.
This highly rated electric car for kids from Power Wheels is perfect for children aged 3 to 7 years. The Monster Traction system drives on hard surfaces, wet grass, and rough terrain, and the car can be driven 2.5 and 5 mph forward and 2.5 mph in reverse. The metal sidebars provide hand support, and the Power Lock Brake System ensures a safe ride. The car includes a 12-volt battery and charger.
- Monster Traction system drives on rough terrain, hard surfaces, and wet grass.
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 130 pounds
- It has a Power Lock Brake System.
- Drives 2.5 mph and 5 mph forward and 2.5 mph in reverse.
- Metal sidebars for hand support.
- Includes 12-volt battery and charger.
|Name||Power Wheels Dune Racer, Green|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.4 out of 5 stars|
|Age recommendation||3 – 7 years|
|Weight limit||130 pounds|
|Battery||1 12V batteries required.|
2. Easy to assemble when you use the step by step instructions.
3. The Size is big enough for 2 kids to easily fit comfortably .
4. It has 2 velcro lap-belts for some safety.
5. Forward in two speeds (2.5/5MPH), Reverse in one (2.5MPH).
#4. Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride
Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride and is ideal for kids between the ages of 4 years.
The Lamborghini Aventador is one of the most popular exotic cars on the market and now your child can drive this amazing car just like mom and dad! This 12V ride-on car for kids has a realistic design with doors that swing open, headlight details, working horn, MP3 plug in, and an adjustable seat belt. It also features remote control operation to make driving easier for your child. The battery is included along with a charger to keep it powered up. Made from durable materials including ABS plastic, this kid’s battery-powered two-seater is built to last. It’s a perfect role model for your little one!
Great adventure awaits kids with this Lamborghini Aventador sports car ride. Kids can ride on their own but for peace of mind, parents can step in with a remote control to ensure they are safe.
- It comes with a rechargeable 12V battery that allows for enough playtime.
- It has a maximum speed of 3.7 mph
- The remote has speed selection and forward/reverse controls.
|Name||Best Choice Products Kids 12V Ride On Electric Lamborghini w/ 2 Speeds, LED Lights/Sounds, Red|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.5 out of 5 stars|
|Age recommendation||3 years and above|
|Weight Limit||Can only support one kid|
2. The remote control allows you to stop the vehicle and speed settings.
3. When turned on, it makes an engine start noise.
4. It has a working radio and the lights are great.
2.It is quite heavy
3. The doors are harder for the kids to open and also step in or out of.
#5. Modern-Depo Police Pursuit 12V Electric Ride
Modern-Depo Police Pursuit Car 12V Dual Drive Children’s Electric Ride is the best electric car for kids who are 2 years old.
It is a car with lots of features for the price. 2 speeds, siren, roof and grill lights, a working microphone and a PA system, and additional songs played through a built-in speaker.
- It can be controlled by parents with the provided remote control or driven manually by kids.
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 77 pounds
- Realistic multicolor LED lights that border the top of the windshield, headlights, & side mirrors. This gives kids the feeling of being on duty.
- It includes a real siren, horn, MP3, USB socket, seat belts for safety, adjustable volume and engine sounds, and two varying speeds i.e high and low.
- It has doors that can be opened.
|Name||GRTVF Police Pursuit Car 12V Dual Drive Children’s Electric Ride 2.4G Remote Control Police Car Toy Alarm Flash Walkie Talkie Bumper Double Open Door|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.4 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||2 years and above|
2. It can be controlled by parents with the provided remote control.
3. It is easy to assemble.
6. Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler
Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler Ride is the next on this list. It is the best electric car for kids who are 5 years old.
Power Wheels Jurassic World Jeep Wrangler is the ultimate prehistoric play vehicle! The Power Wheels Jurassic World Jeep Wrangler features realistic Jeep Wrangler styling, working headlights and taillights, a roomy storage compartment, two seats and is designed for kids ages 3-7 years old. As your child drives over obstacles, the Power Wheels Jurassic World Jeep Wrangler’s front wheels will lift so it can drive over anything in its path! The Power Wheels Jurassic World Jeep Wrangler also features real working sounds and cool dinosaur graphics that will excite every dinosaury lover! Product Features High quality, authentic styling and details Power lock brake system 2.4Ghz radio control for kids to start up the car with ease Includes 12V battery and charger approx. 40 minutes of continuous play time Front wheels lift to drive over obstacles Authentic Vehicle Details Capacity: 60 lbs per seat speed forward: forward only maximum speed of 2.5 mph maximum
Your young adventurer knows just what to do; hop into their Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler vehicle and get moving and enjoy the moment. It has awesome styling, Jurassic Park graphics and exciting dino-chase sounds, and a real working light bar. Your kids will feel like they are driving the real car.
- Cool dinosaur sounds and realistic Jeep Wrangler ‘chase’ sounds.
- Real working light bar and roomy storage area.
- Two seats and holds a maximum weight of 130 lb (59 kg).
- Enhanced durability and performance
- It drives on hard surfaces and grass at 2.5 mph and 5 mph i.e 4 and 8 km/h.
|Name||Power Wheels Jurassic World, Jeep Wrangler Ride|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.1 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 7 years|
|Weight Limit||130 pounds|
2. Real working light bar, roomy storage area, and doors that open & close when need be.
3. It includes 12-volt battery and charger.
7. Radio Flyer Tesla Model
Radio Flyer Tesla Model Ride is the best electric car for kids who are 6 years old and 7 years old.
- Working Headlights
- Spacious interior
- Working horns
- It has a front trunk
- It supports your kid for up to a maximum of 81 pounds
|Name||Radio Flyer Tesla Model Ride|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.9 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 8 years|
|Weight Limit||81.0 lbs|
2. It is easy to assemble
3. It has MP3 sound system
8. Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler Ride is eighth-best electric car for kids who are 4 years old to 7 years old.
This fun car comes with pre-loaded music and sounds so the children can have a great time while driving. The car is built tough, so your kids can have as much fun as possible while ensuring safety and security. It has realistic Jeep details and also a spacious seat.
- Realistic Jeep Wrangler styling and cool flame graphics.
- Spacious rear storage area that hold more than one kid.
- Tough Talking microphone that has voice-amplifying speaker and fun sound effects.
- Drives 2.5 and 5 mph (4 and 8 km/h) max. forward
- Drives 2.5 mph (4 km/h) max. reverse
|Name||Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||4.3 out of 5 stars|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 7 years|
|Weight Limit||69 pounds|
2. It has two speeds going forward.
3. All the buttons and sounds work and they are lovely and loud.
2. There is just one pedal and there is no separate brake pedal.
9. Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids
Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids is ninth-best electric car for2 years old to 6 years old.
Your kid will enjoy and experience a comfortable ride because it has realistic mirrors and they can play their music from the phone. The car also has a large space for your kids.
- Two speeds and two motors with a Maximum Speed of 3 Mph – 6 Mph.
- It has Rubber Traction Band integrated wheels for a smooth and safe ride for your kid.
- Soft Harness Seat Belt
- LED Lights around Seat
- It has both reverse and forward switch.
- It has a built-in MP3 Player, Plays files from USB Flash Drive or Micro SD card.
- The music sounds and the horn are on the steering wheel.
- It has realistic doors and windows that can be opened, Floor Mat kid’s electric car.
- It has an electric brake system, gradual acceleration and reliable braking.
|Name||Carbon BLACK SLS AMG Mercedes Benz Car for Kids, 12V Powered Kids Ride On Car|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon|| 4.3 out of 5 |
#45 in Kids’ Electric Vehicles
|Age Recommendation||2 years – 6 years|
|Weight Limit||66 pounds|
2. It has a digital screen programmed with lots of entertainment such as frozen music and videos.
3. The remote option is awesome such that you can control the car before your child can’t figure it out yet.
10. Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 Volt Ride-On Vehicle, Black
The Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 volt ride on vehicle is a fun and safe way to get your child moving. This battery powered toddler car has 2.5 mph forward and 5 mph reverse speeds with high-speed lockout, working LED headlights/horn sounds, MP3 connector with speakers and two opening doors with realistic windows, dashboard, clear windshield, tailgate and side-view mirrors.
The Rollplay designs and markets products want to provide empowering play experiences to your child.
- Weight capacity allowance of 130 pounds.
- High-speed lockout with 5 mph maximum forward speed and 2.5 mph maximum reverse speed.
- It has two opening doors and opening tailgate that makes playing with friends fun.
- It lets you check how much of playtime is left. 12V ride-on charge time is 8 hours -12 hours.
- It has rubber traction strips on tires that makes off-roading a breeze.
- It has MP3 jack that lets your child jam out while she or he rides.
- Real Sounds and Headlights that your kid will love.
- It is easy to charge
|Name||Rollplay GMC Sierra Denali 12 Volt Ride-On Vehicle, Black|
|Rating and Ranking on Amazon||3.7 out of 5|
|Age Recommendation||3 years – 8 years|
|Weight Limit||130 pounds|
2. It has two opening doors
3. It is easily chargeable
Electric Cars for Kids Buyer Guide:
Below are some of the features you should closely look out for when purchasing any of the above 10 best electric cars.
- Safety: If your kid is below 3 years of age, you should get an electric car with safety belt straps to keep your baby. For safety reasons, make sure the car can also be locked and that your baby wouldn’t be able to start driving out on their own without some way of controlling.
- Speed: Speed settings in various electric cars for kids vary and if your baby is just starting out to drive, you can get one with speed controls that would not endanger your little one. The speed ranges from 3 to 5 miles per hour, although there are some that exceed 5m/h. Also, some cars come with the ‘lock-out’ option which is another layer of safety for kids still learning to get used to speed of moving objects.
- Weight capacity: Watch out of weight limitations in the car you’re considering so your baby won’t be locked out from using it because of it weight limits
- Durability: You won’t want an electric car that will fail barely 6 months after purchasing it. Pick a durable one that will last for at least 2 years.
- Remote control: Pick an electric car for your kid that uses a remote if you think you need one. This is an additional safety gadget.
- Suspension: Get an electric car with shock absorbers to ensure a smooth ride for your kid.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Mary Stephens is our infant development and baby fun activities specialist here at Motherhood HQ. She has over 10 years of experience dealing with kids, previously as a K3 teacher and now as a K9-12 teacher specializing in physical education and Social Studies. She is certified to teach in New York and Massachusetts and when not teaching trampoline jump tricks or giving toddler safety guides, she enjoys writing and providing helpful guides to parents on baby fun activities from infancy to toddlerhood. Mary is also an independent consultant providing parents with fun activities at home and appropriate toys and baby gear for infants and toddler development. She can be reached at her email, mary.s(at)motherhoodhq.com.