If you have a difficult set of stairs in your home, you may be wondering if there is a way to babyproof them. The good news is that there are many options available, including baby gates. In this blog post, we will discuss the pros and cons of using baby gates for difficult stairs, as well as some of the best options on the market. Let’s get started!
Reviews of the Best Gates for Difficult Stairs 2022
1. Dreambaby Chelsea Auto-Close Extra-Wide Baby Safety Gate-Black
The Dreambaby Chelsea is our overall best baby gate for difficult stairs and you’ll love that it is pressure-mounted. This pressure-mounted gate allows you to easily open and close your gate with one hand. The wider width of this baby safety gate (29″) makes it perfect for larger openings, such as doorways or hallways. This extra tall pressure-mounted gate will keep your child safe in rooms throughout your home.
If you want to move through the doorway without opening the gate, twist the handle on top of the frame to disengage from its lock position and pull up on the handle to fully extend it. When it’s time to close the gate, the handle will automatically lock and you simply push down to engage it. With a simple twist of the tension knob on top of the gate, you can adjust it to fit your desired width.
The Dreambaby Chelsea Extra-Wide Auto-Close Gate is also easy to install due to its pressure-mounted design. You don’t have to worry about any damage or drilling when you install this gate. All in all, it’s a great option for anyone looking for a baby gate that they can easily install and open with one hand.
- MEASURE YOUR OPENING BEFORE PURCHASING - This gate fits openings 38-42.5 inches. It will not fit any opening smaller than 38 inches. If your space is larger than 42.5 inches you will require an additional extension, purchased separately.
- VERSATILE AND DEPENDABLE- The Dreambaby Chelsea gate is loaded with features to help make your home a safer place. The gate can accommodate openings of 38-42.5” wide and is 29.5” tall. Using optional extensions sold separately, the gate can be extended up to 98.5 inches
- QUICK AND EASY OPERATION - With the Chelsea Extra-Tall pressure mounted gate, installation is a breeze and using it is even easier. The gate allows for one-handed operation and the double action locking feature helps keep even the most curious toddlers at bay.
- SMART STAY-OPEN, AUTO-CLOSE - Doing laundry, entertaining guests or carrying in the groceries? With the convenience of the Smart Stay-Open feature, the Chelsea gate can be made to stay open to allow for seamless movement throughout the home. For all other times, it has a handy Auto-Close feature, ensuring that the gate reliably closes every time.
- EZY-CHECK INDICATOR- For added security, the EZY-Check indicator will help you identify if your gate is securely closed with just a quick glance. **Tip: The EZY-Check indicator is also great for helping to make sure that your gate is properly installed.
2. Lascal Kiddy Guard Me Baby Safety Gate
Our second best baby gate for difficult stairs is the Lascal KiddyGuard.
This safety baby safety gate is designed to be mounted at the top of stairs, balconies, hallways, at the bottom of staircases, and in doorways. The width of this baby safety gate can be adjusted from 29″ to 60″, making it an ideal option for different stair configurations.
The Lascal KiddyGuard is very easy to install because your only requirement is a railing or wall that is 16″ wide. This safety gate doesn’t require any tools and is easy to open with one hand, making it a great option for those who need to move up and down stairs frequently.
The Lascal KiddyGuard has a security lock that allows you to move the handle into the locked position for added security. The latch also features a magnet that is designed to keep the gate closed. When it’s time to open the gate, you simply need to press the button on top of the handle and move the latch out of its locking mechanism.
- Swedish Design Complements Your Interior
- Fully Retractable Gate, Disappears When Not in Use, Leaves No Trip Hazard
- Simple Release & Lock Mechanism Can Be Operated with One Hand
- Safe for Use at Top of Stairs . Minimal space needed
- Easy Installation & Adaptable Configuration; Expands up to 40”
3. KidCo Safeway Baby Gate
This Safeway Baby Gate from KidCo makes a fantastic baby gate for top of stairs that you can get for under $50. The brand has been in the industry for nearly 30 years and was among the first company to make metal baby gates. This Safeway Gate won the award for the Best Overall Safety Gate by Good Housekeeping. It fits openings that are 24.75 to 42.5-inches wide and comes with a height of 30.5-inches.
We loved this baby gate, particularly because is designed without any tripping hazard or bottom threshold. As such, it has been approved for use on top of stairs since your kiddo can’t trip and fall. Even better, it has a directional clip to prevent it from swinging out over the staircase. KidCo has also fitted this safety gate with a double-action locking mechanism that is easy for parents to lock and unlock.
4. BABELIO Metal Baby Gate
Are you on the hunt for a baby gate that is best for narrow stairs? Babelio got your needs covered with their metal baby gate. This pack of 1 gate measures 26 to 40-inches wide and is very quick to set up via the pressure mounting design. We chose this for installing at the bottom of the stairs since it is not wall-mounted.
This metal baby gate from Babelio stands 36-inches tall thus making it ideal for restricting your toddler from climbing upstairs. What we loved most about this baby gate, however, is the self-closing feature that allows for a hands-free operation. In addition, the walk-in door has double-lock lever handles that only adults can use for child safety.
The major downside we found with the Babelio metal baby gate was complaints on quality control. Some also buyers report about the lack of a linear adjustment between the two width endpoints.
5. Regalo 2-in-1 Extra Wide Baby Gate
This extra-wide baby gate from Regalo is also another fantastic choice of a baby gate for the top of stairs. It features a hardware-mounted installation style which reduces the risk of toppling over. Ideal for children 6 to 24 months old, this Regalo baby gate fits broad stairs that measure 24 to 40.5-inches wide. It has no bottom rail that your kid can step over and trip.
We loved the 28.75-inches height of this baby gate that restricts even toddlers from reaching the safety-lock feature. It is made using steel material for durability and convenience. Even better, the baby gate has a walk-through door with an easy rotating latch for adults to open easily. Although it comes with a hardware mounting kit, most people complained about difficulties in installing it.
Regalo has, however, specifically instructed you on where to install this gate so it can be easy to set up and use.
6. Summer Infant 27903Z Banister & Stair Safety Gate
If you need a reliable banister-to-wall stair gate, Summer Infant got you! Their 27903Z baby gate comes in a beautiful color that matches most décor at an affordable price of $90. This baby gate is meant to fit openings that are 31 to 46-inches wide and requires no drilling during set-up. It stands 32.5-inches tall.
We loved the design of this Summer Infant baby gate with a door that is not suspended which helps prevent tripping. Other features that we loved include support foot for increased stability and a directional door stop that adds safety over stairs. It is a perfect solution for babyproofing your stairs with tight straps that your little one can’t shake.
7. Toddleroo by North States Swing & Lock Gate
Toddleroo by North States revolutionary products have been protecting our little ones for more than 60 years. This swing and lock gate from the brand features a cool design with a warm white finish that complements any décor in your home. We loved the adjustable design that makes it fit for spaces 28.68 to 47.85-inches wide making it ideal for standard stairways.
Recommended for babies aged 6 to 24 months old, this baby gate comes with a height of 36-inches like Babelio baby gate. It is hardware-mounted which means that it is very stable and can withstand your baby’s weight. The baby gate has no threshold so no risk of slipping. And since it only swings in a single direction, it will not swing over the stairs which are very safe.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a grand-mom to two boys and is part of the review board here at Motherhoodhq.com. She is responsible for the quality control of content and is among our most experienced moms. She has over 20 years of writing parenting content online focussing on baby safety indoors and outdoors. She has written widely on babyproofing nurseries and homes for infants and toddlers and published work on privacy and the safety of baby monitors. She is a renowned advocate for non-wifi baby monitors that cannot be hacked and spends a lot of time educating parents on how to secure their homes – including ways to secure the baby from harm in and around homes. Sandra is a native of Atlanta where she also works. She can be reached using her email, Sandra.w(at)motherhoodhq.com