Baby monitors that are operated by batteries rather than AC power have several advantages, my favorite being that I can use a battery-powered baby monitor while traveling. One parent personally asked me to send her some suggestions of battery-operated baby monitors that have great functionalities such as video, night vision, two-way talk, and even lullabies. I thought I’d find them easily but I was wrong. There are audio baby monitors that rely on batteries but you may have to rely on outdoor security cameras that use batteries as traditional video baby monitors mostly use AC power for the camera/baby unit mainly because some features such as night vision consume a lot of power that batteries just can’t support.
The best audio baby monitor that can be entirely operated by batteries is the TimeFlys Audio Baby Monitor. It uses AAA batteries in both the baby unit and the parent unit and unlike VTech audio monitors’ batteries that barely last for 3 hours, TimeFly’s last for up 10 hours – and they are rechargeable. When you get it on Amazon, it comes with 3 AAA batteries.
These battery-operated baby monitors are the most ideal for camping whenever you are, in Australia, the UK, the US, or any other part of the world. You can also purchase most of them on Amazon or on physical retail stores such as Target, Argos, and Walmart.
I spent over two weeks putting together this list and having previously developed a guide for baby monitor batteries, this didn’t seem like a difficult exercise. The list below has both audio baby monitors and some great video baby monitors that rely on AAA batteries as well as rechargeable batteries.
Best Battery-Powered Baby Monitors 2022
|Name of Monitor||General Features||Check Price|
|Billfet Audio Baby Monitor||Can be fully powered by batteries but can also use AC||Check price|
|Levana Jena||Video, powered fully by batteries||Check Price|
|Motorola MBP855CONNECT-2||The camera is powered by batteries, lasts for 3 hours per charge.||Check Price|
|Arlo Baby Monitor||Wifi baby monitor||Check Price|
|Graco Battery Operated baby monitor||Audio, non-wifi||Check price|
|Arlo Pro, Camera and Base||Wifi, rechargeable batteries||Check Price|
|TimeFlys Audio Baby Monitor||Audio||Check Price|
|DBPOWER Digital Audio Baby Monitor||Audio||Check Price|
|Vava Baby Monitor||Video and audio – up to 24 hours, 4500 mAh battery storage||Check price|
|Motorola MBP36XL||The camera and parent unit can run on batteries||Check Price|
|VTech VM819||Check Review and Price|
|Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro||Its battery life is about 8 hours but you can purchase an external 10,000 mAh battery pack that can extend battery life for up to 48 hours. The external battery pack/power bank is less than $20 and you can check it on Amazon here.||Check the Price of Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro on Amazon here but first, read our review here.|
Reviews of Battery Operated Baby Monitors
1. Billfet Audio Baby Monitor Powered By Batteries
Billfet audio baby monitor is my best battery-powered audio baby monitor in 2022. With Billfet, you can choose to power it entirely using batteries or you can choose AC. The parent unit and the baby unit both can be used with 1.5V AAA batteries but can work with 100V-240V AC. It is perhaps the cheapest battery-operated baby monitor for camping.
Below is an image of Billfet
Below are some of the features I like most about this audio baby monitor that sells for under $40:
- It uses FHSS transmission technology, guaranteeing you 100% privacy and no limited interference with other 2.4 GHz-frequency devices
- Clear 2-way communication
- Long indoor range of up 150 ft.
- It has a good design which makes it very portable
- It is voice-activated which enables it to save battery and reduce EMF radiation
- Similar to VTech audio baby monitors, Billfet has a clip that allows you to attach it to your belt.
2. Levana Jena Battery Operated Baby Monitor
Levana Jena is perhaps the go-to battery-operated video baby monitor that has been in the market since 2011. Levan Jena comes with rechargeable batteries that power the parent and the baby unit and can last for up to 8 hours!
Over 1300 customers on Amazon have given this battery-powered baby monitor 3.8/5 but as of the publication of this article, it wasn’t available for sale on Amazon. You can still click the link to check if it will be available when you check it.
Below are some of the features that have drawn more than 1300 customers to try this batteries-only baby monitor:
- It has automatic night vision with a reliable range of 15 ft. This is comparable to some of the best non-wifi baby monitors we’ve reviewed such as Eufy Spaceview S and Infant Optics DXR 8 that have 16 ft. and 15 ft. night vision ranges, respectively.
- It has a power-saving PEEP mode feature. Wondering what PEEP mode is in Levana Jena? PEEP mode in Levana Jena is similar to VOX mode in other baby monitors. PEEP is a short form for Power-on/off Energy Efficient Picture and when this PEEP mode is turned on, Levana Jena enters standby/sleep mode after 60 seconds of inactivity. It will only come back to the active Live-view mode or non-PEEP mode when it detects when the baby makes noise. Levana Jena claims that having this PEEP mode on may extend the battery life of Levana Jena for up to 48 hours!
- It comes with 8+ hour rechargeable batteries that you can rely on when traveling and have no AC power.
3. TimeFlys Audio Baby Monitor
TimeFlys Audio Baby Monitor is the best baby monitor for camping as it can be powered entirely by 3 AAA batteries and can last for 8 hours. The three AAA batteries that it comes with when you buy are rechargeable but you can just get many AAA batteries on Amazon and go off-grid for some time. You can get a pack of 36 single-use AAA batteries for as low as $10 on Amazon.
TimeFly is a sound-only monitor that has cool features including;
- Temperature Monitoring and Warning,
- 8 lullabies to lull your baby to sleep
- 1000 feet range which is very impressive
- Two-way talk
- Vibration alert which is ideal for those with hearing impairments or heavy sleepers
- LCD Display showing the real-time temperature of the baby room’s/location. You’ll get a warning if the temperature is out of the set 60.8F – 86F range.
- Night Light which you can remotely control using the parent unit.
4. Motorola MBP855CONNECT and MBP855CONNECT-2 with Rechargeable Cameras
Motorola MBP855CONNECT-2 is our forth battery-powered baby monitor designed and distributed by Binatone Global, the owner of Motorola branded baby monitors. Like several other Motorola baby monitors, it has some really poor reviews on Amazon despite having a large 5-inch video screen.
This monitor uses Wi-Fi and 2.4 GHz FHSS wireless connectivity to allow you to view your child on the included 5-inch monitor or on compatible smart devices while you’re away from home. The ergonomic parent unit features a 5″ diagonal color screen that makes it easy to see your child, and with a simple press of a button on the unit or a touch of the screen on your smartphone, you can talk through the device to comfort your child.
You can recharge the cameras of Motorola MBP855Connect which lasts for 3 hours per charge. This battery-powered video camera that has built-in Wi-Fi and can be set up in any location inside your home. They include remote pan, tilt, zoom, and infrared night vision so you may see everything clearly whether it’s day or night. Plus, with two-way communication. This two-way communication device lets you hear your baby’s every coo and giggle, and even check in on them with the room temperature display. You can also soothe them to sleep with any of the five lullabies built into the device.
Below are some of its features:
- FHSS transmission technology, not dependent on Wifi
- 5-inch diagonal screen
- 1000 ft. outdoor range
- Two-way communication
- Rechargeable batteries placed in the cameras can last up to 3 hours
- Expandable and can support up to 4 cameras
- You can remotely pan and tilt the camera
- Camera expandability to monitor multiple locations
- Whole room view with pan, tilt, and zoom features
- The Hubble app lets you manage the camera and receive feeding straight to your phone no matter where you are.
- It allows viewing in split@ screen for multiple cameras
- Poor ratings citing frequent camera disconnection
- Some customers say the night vision is poor
- Some customers report that the sound quality is poor and that it fails altogether sometimes
While Arlo baby monitor does not have a battery-operated baby monitor base, it came fourth in this list of top battery-powered baby monitors. You should, however, note that its battery life is not very long. Users have found it to last for up to 3 hours and not the 6 hours advertised by Netgear.
6. Graco Battery Operated baby monitor
Graco Secure Coverage Digital Baby Monitor is another battery-operated baby monitor by Graco. More than 800 customers have rated this product 4.2/5 on Amazon but in March 2020, it was not available on Amazon.
This Graco battery-powered baby monitor uses a 900MHz frequency to transmit signals from the baby unit to the parent unit. I previously reviewed this audio baby monitor in our list of long-range baby monitors with up to 2000 ft. outdoor range.
You can check using the link below.
7. Arlo Pro: Fully Battery-Operated Camera and Base
Arlo Pro is my favorite battery-powered security camera with a battery-operated base. More than 15,000 customers on Amazon have rated this Netgear camera, 4.1/5. Arlo Pro camera which can be turned into a baby monitor, when used together with the base station is currently retailing at under $200 and is most ideal for campers that want very long battery life of up to 1 week. Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 can both rely fully on rechargeable batteries.
While Netgear claims that the batteries could last for as long as 6 months, users have found it to last for up to 4 weeks. If you are going camping, plan effectively to make sure that the Arlo camera and base station do not drain the batteries before your camping trip ends. You should also note that when a battery is used, you should expect 720p HD resolution images and not the 1080p HD resolution images you’d expect when plugged into AC power.
Users of Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 have really found these Netgear battery-operated baby monitor cameras to be handy when traveling or camping in remote locations where AC power may not be available to recharge the batteries. While Arlo baby monitor can rely on batteries, it cannot last for more than a few hours. This makes Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 the best battery-powered cameras for baby monitors.
Below is an image of Arlo Pro 2 which comes with 2 cameras and is great if you plan on using it when camping with your twins.
The table below shows a further comparison of Arlo’s cameras.
8. DBPOWER Digital Audio Baby Monitor
For under $30, you can get yourself this battery-powered audio baby monitor by DBPower (image shown below). In 2021, more than 150 customers on Amazon have rated this 1000 ft. range battery-only baby monitor, 4/5. It comes with three rechargeable batteries and is quite easy to carry as it has a belt clip similar to VTech’s audio baby monitors.
9. Motorola MBP36XL: Camera and Parent Unit Operated by Batteries
Motorola MBP36XL is a battery-operated baby monitor- the camera/baby unit and the monitor/parent unit are powered by rechargeable batteries. The batteries for the camera/baby unit can last for up to 3 hours and the parent unit’s batteries can last much longer – up to 6 hours. This baby monitor can operate without wifi which allows you to use it when camping totally offline.
Below are some other features of this camera:
- The monitor/screen of this baby monitor is quite large, 5-inches diagonally. It made it to our list of best large®-screen baby monitors list.
- The technology powering the communication of the baby monitor is hack-proof. The 2.4GHz FHSS technology fully secures and encrypts communication between the baby unit and the parent unit.
- This baby monitor is expandable and up to 4 cameras can be hooked up. If you want to monitor twins or more than 2 kids in your home, this is an ideal baby monitor. It also has split-screen viewing.
- With this battery-powered baby monitor, you can talk to the baby – the two way communication enables you to soothe the baby without getting physically close to your baby. Read more about two-way communication baby monitor here.
You can read more reviews and check its current price on Amazon here.
Battery Operated Baby Monitors FAQs
We’ve selected a number of battery-operated baby monitors ideal for camping on our list above. You can choose from Billfet, Levana Jena, Motorola Connect, Arlo baby monitor, and Timeflys baby monitors
In 2020, VAVA released a non-wi-fi® baby monitor that can last for up to 24 hours – mostly because of its large battery storage capacity of 4500mAh. You can read more about the Vava baby monitor here.
|List of Top Baby Monitors||Editors' Choice|
|The Top Non Wifi Camera Baby Monitor||Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro|
|Best Dual-Camera Split Screen baby Monitor||Babysense HD S2|
|Best Baby With the Longest Range||Panasonic Long-Range Video Baby Monitor|
|Best Monitor Powered by Batteries||VTech VM819 Video Baby Monitor (19 hours on a single charge)|
|The Best Voice-activated(VOX) Baby Monitor||Anmeate Baby Monitor|
|The Best Breathing Baby Monitor||Owlet Smart Sock 3|
|Best Large-Screen Video Baby Monitor||VTech VM919HD Video Monitor|
|The Best Audio/Sound-only Baby Monitor||Philips AVENT SCD720/86|
|The Best 5 GHz Wifi Baby Monitor||iBaby M8 Video Baby Monitor|
|The Best Baby Car Camera/Monitor||Yada Portable Baby Monitor|
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Hi there! I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhoodhq.com. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.