If you are in the market for some bedding sets for your baby, you need to be extra careful to get breathable safe options made from machine-washable non-toxic fabric. I have worked with many parents who regretted doing little research on bedding set safety, washing, organizing, and babyproofing once they started using the set. I have put together a comprehensive guide on the best baby bedding sets, their benefits, and what you need to know before making your purchase.
What is a baby bedding set?
A baby bedding set is a collection of coordinated infant bedding. The most common items in a set are a crib sheet, bumper pad, and comforter or quilt. Some sets also include a diaper stacker, toy bag, and valance.
There are many benefits to having all these coordinating pieces. It saves you time and money from having to search for each item separately. It also ensures that your nursery will have a pulled-together look.
When should you buy a baby bedding set?
You can buy a baby bedding set at any time. However, many parents choose to wait until they know the gender of their baby. Others wait until they have the nursery decorated before purchasing a set.
If you want to buy a bedding set early, you can always find gender-neutral sets. These sets are usually white, cream, or gray and can be used for either a boy or girl.
Fabrics used in baby bedding sets;
Babies and their skins are extra sensitive and you need to ensure that you are getting a safe, breathable, and non-toxic bedding set.
Cotton is a natural fiber that is soft, breathable, and absorbent. It is also hypoallergenic, making it a good choice for babies with sensitive skin. They can keep your baby warm and their material strength is firm and is easy to wash. The only downside is that cotton is a high-maintenance fabric and needs to be ironed after each wash to keep it looking crisp.
Linen is a natural fiber made from flax plants. It is similar to cotton in that it is soft, breathable, and absorbent. The linen is also hypoallergenic and gets softer with each wash. The only downside to linen is that it wrinkles easily.
Polyester is a synthetic fiber that is often used in baby bedding sets. It is less expensive than natural fibers and is easy to care for. Polyester is not as breathable as cotton or linen and can trap heat, making it less ideal for warm climates.
You can also find bedding sets made from a blend of various fabrics like a flannel. Flannel is a soft, napped fabric made from various fibers. Cotton flannel is the most common type and is used in many baby bedding sets. Flannel is very absorbent and can wick moisture away from the skin, making it ideal for use in crib sheets. The only downside to flannel is that it can pill easily.
Fabrics to avoid;
- Rayon: Rayon is a synthetic fiber that is made from wood pulp. It is often used in bedding because it is inexpensive and has a silky feel. However, it is not as durable as other fabrics and can shrink when laundered.
- Acrylic: Acrylic is a synthetic fiber that is made from petroleum products. It is often used in bedding because it is soft and has a wool-like feel. However, it is not as durable as other fabrics and can pill over time.
- Nylon: Nylon is a synthetic fiber that is made from petroleum products. It is often used in bedding because it is strong and durable. However, it is not as soft as other fabrics and can be uncomfortable for your baby.
Safety tips when it comes to purchase and use of baby bedding sets;
- 1. When you are buying a baby bedding set, be sure to check the labels for care instructions.
- 2. Follow all care instructions carefully to avoid shrinks, fading, and other damage.
- 3. Wash all bedding before using it for your baby. This will remove any chemicals or pollutants that may be present.
- 4. Be sure to check the fit of the bedding before using it for your baby. Make sure that it will not be too snug or too loose.
- 5. Keep all bedding away from fire and other sources of heat.
- 6. Keep all bedding out of reach of pets and small children.
There are also different levels of quality and prices. You can find sets in all price ranges from less than $100 to over $1000. So what is the best bedding set on the market today? We did some research and found these five brands which we think deserve consideration:
Things to consider when picking the best baby bedding sets:
- The fabric of the bedding set: make sure it is 100% cotton, not chemical treated or dyed. Avoid blends since the additional chemicals may be unsafe for your baby.
- Breathability: you want a fabric that will allow air to circulate and not make your baby overheat. Look for a natural fiber like cotton.
- The thread count of the bedding set – this is a measure of how many threads there are in one square inch of fabric. The higher the number, the softer and more durable the fabric will be.
- The size of the bedding set – you want to make sure that the set will fit your baby’s crib or bassinet properly.
- Safe: Make sure your baby will stay safe inside the crib due to the type of materials used in manufacturing. No formaldehyde-treated wood should be used and there should be no corner posts that stick up more than 1/16″ to cut back on the risk of head entrapments. In addition, make sure that any bumper pads or ties are not within the crib (a safe distance is at least six inches away from the sides of the crib).
- No chemicals: Check for lead and other harmful chemicals in the dyes and finishes. Do not use products with lead since this can cause problems for your baby’s health and development.
- Machine washable: Since babies can be messy, you will want to make sure that the bedding set is machine washable.
- The design of the bedding set – you may want to choose a set that has a cute design or one that is more neutral in color.
- Complete: Make sure to buy a set that will fit all of your needs: e.g., comforter, fitted sheet, mattress pad, crib skirt (if applicable), bumpers, mobile, etc.
What. you get on a complete crib bedding set;
- Crib sheet: A crib sheet is a rectangular piece of fabric that is placed over the mattress in a crib. It is typically made from cotton or another soft fabric and has a fitted design so that it stays in place.
- Crib skirt: A crib skirt is a piece of fabric that hangs down from the edge of the crib and covers the space between the mattress and the floor. It is typically made from cotton or another soft fabric and has a gathered or pleated design.
- Crib bumper: A crib bumper is a piece of fabric that is placed around the inside of the crib to provide padding and support for your baby. It is typically made from cotton or another soft fabric and has a quilted or padded design.
- Fitted sheet: A fitted sheet is a rectangular piece of fabric that is placed over the mattress in a crib. It has a fitted design with elastic edges so that it stays in place.
- Comforter: A comforter is a thick, quilted blanket that is typically used for warmth. It is typically made from cotton or another soft fabric and has a down or synthetic filling.
Some brands even come with Crib mobile. A crib mobile is a decorative item that is hung above the crib and features spinning elements (such as animals or flowers) that your baby can look at and reach for.
Top 6 Best Baby Bedding Sets – Our 2022 Picks
- Disney Amazing Mickey Mouse 3 Piece Nursery Crib Bedding Set
- Bedtime Originals Lavender Woods 3 Piece Bedding Set
- Disney Baby Minnie Mouse All About Bows 4 Piece Nursery Crib Bedding Set
- Bedtime Originals Jungle Buddies 3 Piece Crib Bedding Set
- The Peanutshell Black and White Crib Bedding Set for Baby Boys or Girls
- NoJo Dreamer Elephant 8 Piece Comforter Set
In the next section, I have reviewed each of our top picks above.
Best Baby Bedding Sets Reviews
1. Disney Amazing Mickey Mouse 3 Piece Nursery Crib Bedding Set
Our overall best baby bedding set in this 2022 list is the Disney Mickey Mouse 3-Piece Crib Bedding set which is set with a mickey mouse theme from Disney. It made it to our list today as one of the best unisex baby bedding sets on the market. This bedding set has been highly rated by parents softness and value for money with a price tag of under $60. It is currently at #14 in Crib Bedding Sets on Amazon.
These gender-neutral baby bedding sets are made using polyester microfiber fabrics that are very soft and comfy for your little one. A bright and playful classic mickey mouse crib set, it comes in a 3 piece set, including a dust ruffle, comforter, and crib sheet. Based on your child’s gender, you can pick from the red, navy, and white (with pops of light turquoise blue) colors.
The mickey mouse crib set is designed to fit your baby’s standard-size crib mattress. If you want to add a touch of vintage Disney to your baby nursery space, they will love this one. It is also available in other 4 colors.
2. Bedtime Originals Lavender Woods 3 Piece Bedding Set
Are you on the hunt for the most ideal baby bedding set for girls? Our second-best product from Bedtime Originals is a fantastic choice. This 3-piece bedding set comes in a lovely purple color that is just right for your baby girl. She will love how Tootsie is hanging on her special branch that is decorated with flowers and leaves. It is priced under $60 on Amazon.
This bedding set for babies is made using a blend of cotton and polyester material for both comfort and durability. Made to fit a standard size crib mattress, the sheets feature 55% cotton and 45% polyester fabric. Its dust ruffle features a 10-inch drop with a resilient 100% olefin (polypropylene) platform. Make your baby girl’s room elegant with this lavender woods-themed bedding set with a secret forest surrounded by lavender, lilac, plum, and apricot.
3. Disney Baby Minnie Mouse All About Bows 4 Piece Nursery Crib Bedding Set
Our best overall baby bedding set on the list today is the Minnie Mouse-themed set from Disney. It has been highly rated for durability, softness, and value for money by more than 3,0000 parents and is currently #1 in the Crib Beddings Set on Amazon.
Designed in Minnie’s touch hues of pink, bright pink, aqua, white & black, this cute infant bedding set comes with 4 pieces. The comforter features Minnie at the center smiling with a bow over her head accented with dots, bows, and dots. Its dust ruffle is pink in color while the crib sheet is a delicate toss mini print of tiny hearts and bows in white, pinks, aqua, and pops of black. Sounds gorgeous, right?
To make your baby nursery magnificent, you can complete the look with the Minnie Mouse-shaped wall décor that comes ready to hang. All the fabrics are 100% polyester fabric. This bedding set for kids is also available in other 11 cartoon themes and colors. The price tag is between $60 and $150 on Amazon.
4. Bedtime Originals Jungle Buddies 3 Piece Crib Bedding Set
If you want the best baby crib bedding sets for your boy, you can’t go wrong with the Jungle Buddies crib bedding set from Bedtime Originals. It comes in a set of three that includes a comforter, fitted sheet, and a dust ruffle. All the components are made using a blend of polyester and cotton. Jungle Buddies is among the cheap baby bedding sets priced at under $40 on Amazon.
This bedding set with an exciting jungle theme for nursery features an oversized plush elephant and his dearest pals. Your baby boy will definitely love this one. The comforter features a bright multi-stripes border that makes this safari theme bedding set cuter and fancier for your boy. Most buyers love the quality saying it is worth the price.
5. The Peanutshell Black and White Crib Bedding Set for Baby Boys or Girls
This gender-neutral black and white bedding set is yet another admirable pick in the baby bedding sets under the $50 category. The 3-piece crib collection features a reversible patchwork baby comforter, fitted crib sheet, and a 3-sided dust ruffle. It provides your baby nursery with a modern nursery appearance. At the time of this review, this bedding set ranked as #32 in the Crib Bedding Sets category on Amazon.
We loved the soft feel of this bedding set for kids with unisex colors that make it perfect for your baby boy or girl’s bedroom.
6. NoJo Dreamer Elephant 8 Piece Comforter Set
If you are looking for a unique crib bedding that is ideal for both traditional and convertible baby cribs, NoJo got you covered. Currently, this 8-piece set from NoJo ranks at #8 in the Crib Bedding Sets category on Amazon. We were impressed by this Dreamer Collection bedding set as it is giftable, affordable, and soft. It comes in 25 beautiful colors that match your home décor with a price tag of under $100.
This bedding set for kids comes with a quilt, dust ruffle, printed pillow, diaper stacker, and a changing pad cover. We also loved 2 printed crib sheets and the beautiful coral fleece blanket with applique. You have never seen your kiddo happier like he or she would be when you gift them this Dreamer Collection bedding set.
The brand boasts 40 years’ experience in the field and makes its bedding sets using a blend of 65% polyester and 35% fabrics. This makes the products durable and comfortable.
Additional Baby Bedding Sheet Buying Guide
Where to buy
If you live in the US, Australia, Canada, NZ, the UK among other places, and are looking for the best place to buy baby bedding sets, you can get it on Amazon using the links we provided above. These baby bedding sets are also available occasionally on sale at Argos, Target and Walmart.
What makes the best bedding set?
When shopping for a bedding set for your little one, make sure that you go for the perfect fit so as to prevent the risk of suffocation. In addition, check the materials used to craft the bedding set, either one or a blend of two fabrics. Lastly, pick a bedding set that matches your baby nursery’s theme. If it is a toddler, you can ask their preferences to ensure they are contented.
AAP Updated Guidance on Safe Baby Sleep
In 2016, AAP updated its recommendations warning parents to avoid soft bedding or sofa sleeping. Watch the 2-minutes video below for more;
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Hi there! I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhoodhq.com. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.