Crawling is a big milestone and in this article, I have analyzed, compared, and condensed our list of best baby floor mats for crawling babies in 2022.
Crawling is part of healthy child development, and we all know how vital this stage is. It is a time when their muscles need to stretch and get stronger in preparation for standing and walking. Babies in this stage spend hours on the floor crawling, rolling, sitting, and generally exploring their surroundings.
As a wise parent, you want to provide the safest and most comfortable ground for your baby to crawl on. You could use a thick garment like a blanket as a cushion against the hard ground, but it is even better to have a crawling mat.
Playmats are specially designed for your little ones crawling needs. They are made with different materials, a wide range of colors and patterns your baby will love, and vary in size. With so many types of play mats in the market, you can get one that precisely suits your needs and budget.
How we ranked the best floor mats for crawling
To compile this list of the best mats for crawling we considered the following factors:
- Cost: it is not always that the more money you spend on a product the more value you get. A good deal is laying your hands on a mat that offers you value for money.
- Material: you want to choose a mat made from materials that have been approved by health and safety regulation bodies. Choose mats that are hypoallergenic and toxic-free.
- Available space and type of flooring: mats in the market vary in size. Select a carpet that is fitting for the space that you have. Also, if you have a hard floor, the best mats are those that have thick padding for comfort and non-slip features to secure it in place.
- Color and design: Some people may prefer vibrant colors or animated charts that will be eye catchy for the baby or contrast their décor. In contrast, others prefer more subtle neutral colors that will blend in with their furniture. You will have to decide what type you prefer
- Special features: Nowadays, mats come with many features; there are those foldable mats that you can store away, taking up very little space or carry in a bag; others have foldable edges, so they make a play area with fencing. It all depends on your needs.
10 Best Floor Mats for Crawling Infants and Toddlers
- Play Mat Floor Mats for Kids
- IHEARTYOU baby crawling mat cute giraffe play carpet children bedroom décor living room rugs
- Folding Kids Play Mat
- Baby Care Reversible Cloud Play Mat
- Baby play mat tiles extra-large thick foam puzzle mat
- Eanpet Baby Play Mat
- Prince Lion Heart ABC Play Mat
- Hape Foldable Playmat
- Wee Giggles Large Baby Play Mat With Fence
- Lolland Playmat
Reviews of Top Baby Crawling Floor Mats 2022
#1. Play Mat Floor Mats for Kids
Play Mat Floor Mat by Dooboe is our overall best floor mat you can pick for your crawling baby in 2022. Dooboe is the manufacturer behind this beautiful baby play mat. Their baby play mat is foam-based and includes 12 square pieces (24 triangles) with a snugly fit design. When assembled, these pieces complete a total floor mat measuring 4 feet x 3 feet with a thickness of about ½ inch. The Eva foam makes the mat soft, durable, waterproof, easy to clean, and portable.
We especially love the triangle border design that you can use to create endless amazing designs and also gives the mat a lovely rug play mat look. Also, this playmat is so versatile: it provides a comfortable place for your baby to crawl and play, you can use it as a rug for your hardwood floor or as an exercise mat for you.
It is our favorite playmat because it has all the great features that we need for a playmat; great cushioning material, large, and very affordable, and the fact it can also be used as a regular rug or exercising mat.
- Measurement: 4ft x 3ft and ½ inch thick
- Material: Eva foam
- Design: Square/triangle Chevron styles
- Colors: pink, blue
- Rated 4.2/5 by over 60 parents
- Great value for money
- Lovely colors for both boys and girls
- It provides sufficient cushioning against injuries when playing or crawling.
- It is not skid proof, so you might be needed to secure it depending on the floor
- The material is likely to attract hair and dirt easily.
#2. IHEARTYOU baby crawling mat cute giraffe play carpet children bedroom décor living room rugs
IHeartyou is our second favorite baby crawling floor mat in this list. It is a large mat with animal-themed patterns that are perfect for complimenting a nursery or playroom.
It is made from a soft, environmentally friendly microfiber material that will provide your baby with comfort when crawling or playing without being harmful. Because this mat is large, it gives enough space for you to join your baby for playtime.
A lot of customers praise this mat for being easy to clean; it is a machine or hand washable and can be safely tumble dried on low heat.
The only disadvantage is that a lot of parents find it is not cushy enough, so it might not be suitable to use alone on hard floors, but it has anti-slip features that will keep it in place.
With its variety of lovely animal patterns that will liven up any toddler, this can also make a wonderful gift for a mom-to-be or a kid.
- Measurement: 76 x 58 inches and 0.6 inches thick.
- Material: natural cotton
- Color: lion, bear, rabbit, deer, giraffe, fox, and elephant pattern.
- Machine washable, hand washable and low tumble dry
- Includes Anti-slip balls
- Rated 4.7/5 by over 130 parents (as of 2022)
- Adorable animal themed patterns
- Covers a wide floor area
- It has as anti-slip features
- It is easy to clean and durable
- Some parents feel it does offer sufficient padding against hard floors.
#3. Folding Kids Play Mat
Our third best is this super easy-to-fold XPE foam mat by Fortstart is my favorite and is our best baby crawling mat for hard floors. It has some of the best features you could wish on a play mat. This double-sided playmat is 0.4 inches thick and provides sufficient cushion for the baby’s knees from the hard floor.
First, it is made with materials that are BPA-free and non-toxic, so you can rest assured that your little one will not be exposed to harmful chemicals as they crawl.
This playmat is full of different small patterns that inspire play activity and encourage learning. All the designs are made in a soft tone that will not hurt your baby’s eyesight. Because the mat is extra-large, you and your baby get plenty of space to have fun and learn.
If you wish to put it away, you can do so without any hassle; it folds up nicely into a compact size that you can store in a small space or even carry in a bag because it is lightweight too.
That’s not all, the foam material is water-resistant, easy to wipe down accidental spillages and you never have to worry about stains. Even better, it is reversible usable, so you get double for one, and the texture is anti-slip.
- Measurement: 78.7 x 59 x 0.4 inches
- Material: XPE foam
- Design: learning and playful patterns
- Color: white
- Includes a non-slip texture
- Rated 4.2/5 by over 50 parents
- It is foldable and portable
- It uses safe materials
- Provides great cushioning injuries on hard floors
- Adorable designs
- It is a bit expensive
- The material can peel and tear easily if the baby digs into the mat.
#4. Baby Care Reversible Cloud Play Mat
The baby care reversible mat provides your baby with a safe ground for playing right and can be used right from infancy to toddlerhood. The mat is thick and cushy, providing a soft landing whether your toddler is crawling, rolling, tumbling, or falling. You can use it in any room, and it will significantly reduce noise and impact and act as an insulator for all floor types.
It features warm and lovely happy cloud prints on one side and stars and moon on the other side. The waterproof polyvinyl resin mat is water-resistant, easy-to-wipe clean, and is compactly foldable for storage and portability. It also comes with a one-year warranty.
- Measurement: 82.7 x 55.1 inches
- Material: polyvinyl resin
- Design: happy cloud print/stars and moon
- Provides perfect cushioning for the baby
- It is easy to clean
- Ideal for snack time, playtime or diaper changes
- Lovely colors and designs
- It is not non-slip so you might need to secure it down
- Not machine washable, but you can vacuum clean it safe
#5. Baby play mat tiles extra-large thick foam puzzle mat
If you are looking for that super stylish, soft, and durable play mat, then this is it! It will offer your adorable baby with the most comfortable and safe area for them to crawl, play, learns to stand and walk, and even lay down.
The mat is made from the safest materials; chemical tested, choking-free, and non-toxic. It is made from interlocked snugly fitting oversized tiles that are thick for extra shock absorption and comfort.
This mat has neutral colors that blend in with your décor and therefore, can be used in any room while providing necessary insulation. The material is waterproof and cleans up easily. You will also love the fact that you get a carrying bag when you buy the mat, making it convenient for travel.
These features make the play mat an excellent gear for your baby and can be a wonderful gift that any parent will greatly appreciate and hence being number five of our favorite baby mats.
- Measurement: 2ft x 2ft x 0.6 inches
- Material: foam material
- Safety: BPA, PVC, lead, latex, and phthalate-free
- Design: square tiles
- Color: gray and white
- Large and thick mat for perfect cushioning and covers a large area
- It is effortless to assemble
- No hard time cleaning
- The textured tiles keep the mat from sliding
- It is expensive
#6. Eanpet Baby Play Mat
Our sixth-best baby mat is the Eanpet mat, made from a high-quality XPE foam material that is non-toxic and eco-friendly. It features extra-thick foam tiles that provide a super comfortable and safe play area for your little one, whether they are jumping crawling, or tumbling.
Eanpet baby features cute designs, including height charts and cartoon animals that not only provide fun but also challenge your little one to learn.
You don’t have to worry about cleaning the mat; all you will need is to wipe it clean with a wet cloth. It is also foldable and portable.
This mat is suitable for nursery, playroom, outdoor travels, picnics, as a yoga or exercise mat.
- Measurement: 59 x 79 x 0.4 inches
- Material: XPE foam
- Safety: phthalate, formamides and BPA free
- Color: animal
- Provides a soft and comfortable area for the baby
- It can be used for a lot of activities
- It is easy to clean
- It is foldable and portable
#7. Prince Lion Heart ABC Play Mat
Our seventh-best baby floor mat is the Prince Lion ABC mat. It functions as a protective mat and a learning chart at the same time. It is designed to cushion your baby and delight them at the same time featuring: creatures, letters, and roadway, all of which engage your toddler in an imaginative play.
The mat is waterproof, easy-to-wipe clean, foldable, and portable, making it suitable for tummy time and playtime. It is durable and lasts through your child’s development stages and encourages them to explore more.
- Measurement: 5ft 11in L x 6ft 7in W x 5mm thick
- Material: foam
- Design: dual-sided city roadway/ ABC creatures
- Provides a wide, comfortable play area for the baby
- It is easy to clean without the color coming off
- Very affordable
- Provides fun learning for babies and young children
- It does not provide sufficient cushioning for hard floors when used alone
- Some customers say the mat tore easily
- Some customers say the creasing lines remain after unfolding.
#8. Hape Foldable Playmat
The Hape foldable mat is our eighth-best baby mat. This fantastic mat is made from BPA-free, non-toxic foam material that is large and offers a comfortable and fun ground for tummy time. It is dual-sided with a colorful town scene and jungle design setting that inspires interactive play.
It is waterproof, vacuum cleanable, and foldable, making it suitable for travel. Hape guarantees you a full refund if you’re not satisfied with the mat.
- Measurements: 4ft. 10in. x 5ft.10in
- Material: XPE foam
- Design: jungle/town scene
- It provides a soft puffy area for the baby to have fun
- Easy to clean
- Foldable and includes a carrying case
- Dual sided use
- The colors are bright and vibrant and engaging puzzle
#9. Wee Giggles Large Baby Play Mat With Fence
Wee giggles were developed by a pediatric nurse who decided to make a playmat for her grandchildren to use so you can be sure it was created by someone who put their heart into this product. It is made with high-quality Eva foam that does not have toxic chemicals and is hypoallergenic.
This is a durable mat designed to last through the transitioning process from infant to toddler and beyond. It is versatile and stylish, featuring large puzzle squares in gender-neutral colors.
It is waterproof and easy to wipe clean. It also has foldable edges that can be used to contain toys and give small babies a visual edge. Also, it comes in a zippered carry case for portability.
- Measurement: 5ft x 7ft
- Material: foam
- Safety: BPA, latex, lead, phthalate, and formamide free
- Color design: gender-neutral tile design
- Foldable with collapsible edges
- Thick enough providing perfect cushioning against hard floors
- A lot of parents love that the neutral colors blends well in their homes
- The fencing works well to contain the baby and keep pets out
- Some customers do not like that the animal cutouts often fall off the squares
#10. Lolland Playmat
Lastly, our tenth best play mat is the Lolland mat. It is made with a non-toxic, hypoallergenic foam material that is thick and spacious, providing your baby a safe and comfy space for tummy time, rolling, sitting, or crawling. You can also use it as an exercise mat.
This mat features a modern, chic style that looks great in your house and a heavyweight construction that will not easily be pulled apart by active toddlers and is easy to clean with a simple wipe-down.
The multiple foam layers reinforce the overall strength that can withstand everyday wear and tear from heavy play and a textured surface that is non-slip and water-resistant.
- Measurements: 4ft x 6ft
- Material: EVA foam
- Safety: hypoallergenic, non-toxic material
- Color: gray, pink
- It is thick and provides perfect cushioning for your baby
- It is easy to clean
- Great design; one side for entertaining kids and the other side fitting for adult
- Rolls up nicely for easy storage
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Hi there! I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhoodhq.com. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.