If you live in a small apartment or have a baby nursery with limited space, this article will give you nine options of the best baby bassinets I’ve picked and reviewed for small spaces. Despite their small sizes, all compact-space bassinets in this article meet all the safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM. It is important for you to strongly consider safety as you purchase a bassinet.
There has been progress with bassinet safety with recommendations such as those given by AAP against the use of crib bumpers and a 2008 study by Rachel Moon, MD, published in the journal of Pediatrics revealed a connection between SIDs and bassinets. As a parent, make sure you are getting an ‘airy environment’ bassinet regardless of the size you prefer – small or big.
What Is Considered a Small Bassinet?
A bassinet is simply a cot that your baby can lay or rest in. Bassinets come in different sizes, varying in length, width, and height. However, as is the case with most other baby products, large and bulky bassinets are not very convenient. Your baby mostly needs an appropriately sized bassinet that is safe and cozy. Plus, a small bassinet saves space and is much easier to handle in a small setting. So, if you were going berserk trying to find the resources that’ll enable you to move to a bigger house just because a baby came along, don’t fret. A small-sized room can work out just fine. This article will show you just how comfortable you and your baby can be in a small setting, with the small but cozy bassinets reviewed in the Reviews section of this informative piece.
This article will show you just how comfortable you and your baby can be in a small setting, with these small but cozy bassinets reviewed in the Reviews section of this informative piece.
So, what is considered a small bassinet?
A small bassinet is just like a standard cot; with features and specs that are quite similar. The most distinct difference between a small bassinet and a cot is that a bassinet can be referred to as “small” if it is roughly 18” wide and 36” long.
A small bassinet, just like a cot may contain a space underneath for storage, a sleeping place, cloth sides, mesh covering, and a canopy cover.
9 Best Bassinets for Small Spaces 2022
- #1. Dream on Me Baby Bassinet: 19.5′ Width
- #2. Simmons Kids By The Bed City Sleeper Bassinet
- #3. SwaddleMe by Your Side Sleeper Deluxe
- #4.Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet
- #5. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
- #6. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper
- #7. MiClassic All mesh 2in1 Stationary & Rock Bassinet
- #8. Abreeze Baby Bassinet for Bed – Outer Space Baby Lounger
- #9. HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper, Essential Series, Modern Lattice
What Is the Best Bassinet for Small Spaces?
The best bassinet for small spaces should factor in the following features:
- Storage pockets that are preferably large in size
- Wheels that offer smooth movement
- At least 5 options for height adjustment
- A quality level that is premium
Taking these factors into consideration, we have Dream On Me Baby Bassinet as our overall best bassinet for small spaces. Dream On Me Baby Bassinet is one of the most reasonably priced bassinets that will practically fit in very small spaces. It is elegantly built and very lightweight for portability. If you need the best of the best, this is definitely the basset you ought to for.
Reviews of Best Bassinets for Limited Space
#1. Dream on Me Baby Bassinet: 19.5′ Width
Dream on Me is our overall best bassinet for small spaces as it is the most compact with small width measuring 19.5 inches with easy fold and unfolding ideal for small apartments. Dream on Me Baby Bassinet is an excellent product that has so far managed to garner more than 3,429 global ratings on Amazon with over 78% of this giving it a 5-star rating. It combines all the aspects of style, safety, and convenient spacing to give you a product you’ll love. All these thanks to DOM Family, a family-owned and operated company that has accumulated 30+ years’ worth of experience in manufacturing baby products.
|Name||Dream on Me Baby Bassinet|
|Dimensions||33′ Length x 19.5′ Width x 37′ Height|
|Why it’s ideal for a small nursery with limited space||It has the smallest width of 19.5 inches. It also easily folds and unfolds in a snap and parents have loved it using it in small apartments. The compact size and easy fold/unfolding makes it great for travel|
|Rating & Ranking on Amazon||4.6/5 by 3,400+ parents who reviewed it. Best-selling bassinet on Amazon in 2020.|
The basset also includes a rocking motion for putting your baby to sleep, a stylish canopy, and a storage basket underneath it with a large capacity. And, what you’ll love most is its collapsible frame that when folded makes the entire basset almost flat so you can comfortably either take it with you as you and baby are traveling or easily stow it away whenever it’s not in use.
This product weighs a mere 12.4 lbs and has dimensions of 33” x 19.5” x 37”. You can check its availability on Amazon by clicking on this link.
- Folding mechanism and assembly that requires no tool
- Spacious interior
- Adjustable canopy
- Large storage bag
- Polyester foam fabric material
- Dual-sided mattress pad, 1 inch thick
This is a great product that you should consider for your baby. However, this product has a few shortcomings. The major shortcoming is it has a weight limit of 25 pounds so your baby is likely to outgrow it within just a couple of months. The bassinet also lacks wheels but its folding mechanism works just fine for portability.
Our second best bassinet for small spaces is the Simmons Kids by the Bed City Sleeper Bassinet from Simmons Kids- a producer of high-quality furniture with 80+ years’ worth of experience. This basset is an amazing piece that comes with wheels, an airflow mesh, and an adjustable height option that makes it very easy to handle and an excellent option for your baby.
The most distinctive feature that will make you love this basset is its adjustable base that has been designed to fit beside your bed, sofa, or chair and can be adjusted to various heights so you can easily keep an eye on your baby.
For storage, this basset comes with storage pockets located on each end. It is also comparatively lightweight at 22 pounds with dimensions of 31” x 19.5” x 41.5”.
The manufacturer of this basset recommends you use it for babies that are not more than 5 months. And, if your baby isn’t yet 5 months but has already started pushing on hands and knees, you should also stop using it.
You can check this bassinet’s availability and current pricing on Amazon using this link.
- Mesh side-coverings for a clear view
- Ample storage from storage pockets located on each end
- 5 adjustable heights
- Base with wheels
- Washable fabric
#3. SwaddleMe by Your Side Sleeper Deluxe
SwaddleMe by Your Side is a baby basset by SwaddleMe that is tailored for those parents that want a separate, safe space for their baby to sleep in while still keeping them close by. This means that your baby has a cozy space of their own in this basset but they are still sharing the same bed as you. While this may be a problem for parents with anything less than a king-size bed, it may be a great solution for those that don’t have any space to spare for a basset with a stand.
This product comes with mesh sides so your baby has an endless supply of cool, fresh air,2-speed vibration, and sweet melodies to calm them down. And, because the basset shares the same bed with the parents, it is made of a sturdy metal frame that is essential in protecting the baby especially when the parents’ roll over.
The age recommendation for this basset is 0-3 months. It is very lightweight at 6 pounds and its dimensions are 14.5” x 32” x 11”. And, for those that travel with their bassets, this one folds perfectly flat for easy storage.
You can check it out on Amazon by using this link.
- Sturdy metal frame
- Mesh side coverings for air circulation
- Mattress pad and sheet included
- Night light clip-on unit that is detachable
- 2-speed vibration and soothing melodies
- The removable and washable pad
As you can see from the above details, SwaddleMe by Your Side Sleeper Deluxe is a good option for those parents that only have the choice of having it share the same bed-space as them. However, the biggest problem you may encounter is if you have a smaller bed you may have a very uncomfortable time with this basset as it tends to lean towards whoever is sleeping right next to it.
The mattress included is also made out of polyurethane which is considered by experts as unsafe for babies. And, the fabric isn’t waterproof so you are likely to get the occasional molding if it comes into contact with any baby fluids.
All in all, it is pocket-friendly and great for parents with limited space.
#4.Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet
Delta Children Deluxe Sweet Beginnings Bedside Bassinet is our fourth choice for the best bassinets for small spaces. This is a product from Delta Children that is designed to provide your child with a serene sleeping space right next to their parent’s bedside.
This bassinet has a modern design and is made from materials that are both durable and safe for your child.
For providing your baby with a sound night’s sleep, the bassinet includes soothing music and a nightlight so the parents can easily check on the baby. It also comes with a storage basket that can accommodate a large number of essentials for the baby that you need to have close by.
One of the most distinct and impressive features that you will definitely love about this product is it has lockable wheels that provide optimized mobility as you move it from room to room; as well as prevent the bassinet from rolling aware on its own. It also comes with an adjustable canopy and machine-washable sheet.
This product weighs 11.97 pounds and has dimensions of 21” x 35.5” x 45.5”. The manufacturer recommends you stop using it once your baby reaches 5 months or starts to push on hands and knees.
You can check its availability and pricing on Amazon by using this link.
- Nightlight and sound
- Large storage basket
- Adjustable and removable Canopy
- Lockable wheels
- Water-resistant pad for mattress
This is a perfect bassinet for all parents that want a very mobile solution that can fit well in small spaces. However, this bassinet lacks an adjustable height feature. Other than this small perk, we highly recommend it.
#5. Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet
Our 5th best bassinet for small spaces is Fisher-Price Soothing Motions Bassinet. This product is designed to provide your baby with a perfect night’s sleep by incorporating features tailored for soothing and calming them down. Among the myriad soothing features present, you can be sure to find calming vibrations, baby-friendly music, and sounds, and an excellent sway to accompany. The bassinet also comes with a deluxe mobile with overhead stars and light features.
This product weighs 20 pounds and has a recommended 40 pounds maximum weight. It measures 22.8” x 5.9” x 40”. You can check it out on Amazon using this link
- Mesh sides for breathability
- Sway motion
- Lighting mode with dual options
- Deluxe overhead mobile
- Music, sounds, and 30 minutes’ worth of calming vibrations
- Lockout for a minimized sway motion, optional
This is a great product for all those parents that find it a bit difficult to lull their kids to sleep. However, the basset doesn’t have wheels for easier mobility and it lacks an adjustable height option.
#6. Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper
Baby Delight Beside Me Dreamer Bassinet & Bedside Sleeper is a product from Baby Delight and our 6th best bassinet for small spaces. This bassinet provides your baby with a safe, and comfy sleeping space of their own all from an arm’s length from your bed so you can watch or feed them easily. The most lovable feature about this basset is it has a Bedside Sleeper option where you simply unzip the side panel that is closest to your bed and pull the basset right next to the bed so you can conveniently handle your baby, especially at night.
This basset also has an optional standalone feature and has breathable side coverings. For convenience, it comes with a 6-level height adjustment option and straps for attaching the bassinet to our bedside during Sleeper Mode. It also comes with a storage pocket for additional storage space.
This product weighs 23.8 pounds and has a recommended maximum weight of 20 lbs. or until the baby reaches 5 months. It measures 37” x 22.5” x 30.75”. You can check the basset’s availability and pricing on Amazon using this link.
- 6-level adjustment height
- Breathable mesh sides
- Anchoring straps
- Standalone option
- 2 wheels for easy rolling its base under the bed
This bassinet is perfect for all parents searching for a mobile and adjustable solution for their baby. However, it could do better with 2 more wheels for room-to-room mobility. Plus, the storage pocket is really small for most parents.
The MiClassic All Classic 2in1 bassinet is one of the most efficient travel bassinets in the market and our 7th overall best bassinet for small spaces. This bassinet is equipped with a quick 1-second fold mechanism for easier storage and travel. It also includes 1 carry bag.
Another lovable feature about this product is it has two modes; Rock mode that is useful for soothing the baby to sleep and a Stationary Mode for when the baby is already fast asleep. Apart from this, it comes with a breathable mesh covering.
This bassinet weighs 18.96 pounds and measures 37.4” x 23.8” x 11.02”. The manufacturer recommends you use it for babies between 0-5 months or until your baby starts to push on their hands and knees.
You can check out this product’s availability and pricing on Amazon using this link.
- Stationary and Rock modes
- 1-year warranty
- Breathable mesh
- The 1-second quick fold system
Other than the info outlined above, this basset doesn’t have much to tout. It lacks wheels, doesn’t come with adjustable height, and lacks a canopy. The basset also lacks a storage basket.
This is a portable basset from Abreeze that is 100% cotton and designed to provide your baby with a cozy place for resting and sleeping. The most lovable feature of this basset is Baby Nest, a feature tailored to provide the design and comfort offered by the uterus.
This product is also optimized for co-sleeping and comes with a sewn-in handle for easy carrying. It is perfect for parents with no space to spare for a standalone basset since it works perfectly as a side sleeper. You can also check my list of some great co-sleeping bassinets alternatives that rival Abreeze.
This basset is very light at 3.04 pounds. It measures 20.4” x 14.9” x 2.8”. You can check out its availability and pricing on Amazon using this link.
- Baby Nest bionic design
- 100% organic cotton fabric
- Machine washable fabric
You can expect to find what has been outlined above on this basset. Other than this, nothing much can be said. It lacks a stand so no wheel, no height adjustment feature and it doesn’t come with a canopy.
#9. HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper, Essential Series, Modern Lattice
The Halo Bassinet Swivel Sleeper is manufactured by Swivel Sleeper. It is the only bassinet with a 360 degrees rotation feature. This is the most unique and lovable feature of this product. This is perfect for parents that want their babies to have a separate place for sleeping due to risks that usually arise from bed-sharing. It also swivels to allow a better allowance for getting in and out of bed. Tending to your baby is also made easier on this product by side-wall lowers that are patented. You also have the option to lock the wall in an upright position if you want.
The product also comes with a base that is stable, adjustable, and easy to fit next to most beds.
For storage, the bassinet comes with 1 storage pocket.
This basset weighs 46 pounds and measures 35” x 19” x 12”. It also includes a recommended maximum weight of 20 pounds.
- Rotates 360 degrees
- Includes swivel feature
- 4-level adjustment base
- Polyester fitted sheet
- Waterproof mattress pad made out of Polyurethane
This product is perfect for parents that want an independent bassinet that can fit next to the bed. However, its mobility and portability are greatly impeded. For one, the bassinet is quite heavy and it lacks wheels. Its mattress pad is also made out of polyurethane a material that is considered unsafe for babies.
Small Baby Bassinets Buying and User Guide 2022
Do I Need a Bassinet for My Baby?
If you are wondering whether you truly need a bassinet for your baby, the answer is a definite YES.
Here are a few reasons why purchasing a bassinet for your baby is a must.
- Safety- A bassinet provides a safe environment for your baby to rest in. From the mesh covering to a sturdy built, a good bassinet protects your child from such extremities as biting insects, annoying flies, and so on.
- Comfort- A good bassinet is cozy. It is loaded with a variety of exquisite features tailored to provide your baby with optimized comfort while at the same time preventing them from straining or even suffocating especially when left in the bassinet for long periods of time.
- Saving Space- Your average bassinet is usually smaller than a cot. You will therefore require a smaller space than a cot would require in the same circumstances.
- Portability- Due to their small sizes, bassinets tend to be easier and more convenient to carry around especially when traveling or moving.
- Added Storage- As we discussed on our definition of a small bassinet, bassinets come with a storage space that is underneath for extra storage. You, therefore, get the opportunity to store all the odds and ends you need for your baby close at hand.
What to Look For in the Best Bassinet for Small Spaces
To get the maximum benefits from a bassinet, you need to first choose the best bassinet. To do this, there are a number of factors you need to take into consideration. These factors include:
- Size of your baby– everything concerning baby products should revolve around your baby’s comfort. A bassinet shouldn’t just be small but should provide your baby with the required space. If it can grow with your baby, that is an added advantage.
- Available space– Before buying a bassinet, you should first measure the space where you intend to place it. Then go through the list of bassinets you have in mind to see which one has dimensions that will fit best in the available space.
- Durability and Longevity of use– You also consider a bassinet on the basis of the length of time you will need to use it. If you’ll only use it at one time and for a short period, you can comfortably purchase any basset. However, if you want to use the bassinet repeatedly for a longer period of time, then you need a bassinet that is designed to last against the agents of time.
- Portability– most baby products are manufactured for on-the-go purposes. A bassinet should be easy to travel with without inconvenience.
- Features– Bassinets come with different features. You definitely want a bassinet that has the best combination of all the essential features plus other unique extra features that may be helpful.
Advantages of Bassinet over Crib and Playard
- A bassinet requires less space since they are smaller
- Bassinets come with better structures for added safety and stability
- Bassinets are multi-faceted. They can be used for multiple purposes such as changing tables, tabletops, etc. You can also check these cribs with changing tables.
- Bassinets are much easier to carry
- Bassinets are cheaper because most are smaller and have a simpler design
What Is the Best Way to Use a Bassinet?
A bassinet can be put into optimum use if you know how to use it best.
Below are a few hacks for efficiently using a bassinet
- Place the baby in the bassinet when it is awake. This is helpful in letting your infant learn to fall asleep on their own.
- Come up with a routine that is consistent. Putting your baby to sleep will be much easier if they adapt to a fixed and regular routine.
- Don’t let the night-light option stay on after the baby has fallen asleep as this will interfere with their sleep.
- Use the lullaby feature and sway or rocking functionality that comes with most bassinets to help your baby fall asleep fast.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Naomi Lambert is a mother of two and an elementary school teacher leading our product quality review here at Motherhood HQ. Naomi has a degree in Elementary Teaching from the University of Utah. She has also worked as a product tester for Consumer Reports. Naomi enjoys reading and getting immersed in new research, especially on topics related to parenting and pets. When she’s not reading or testing baby gear, Naomi enjoys hiking in the midwest and hanging out with her two dog pets. Naomi is originally from Salt Lake City, Utah.
Naomi work leading baby gear/product testing:
To test new gear before we review here at Motherhood HQ, Naomi goes through a multi-step process that includes reading up on the latest research, conducting her own hands-on testing, and evaluating the results. She also consults with experts in the field, such as pediatricians, to get their input. This comprehensive approach ensures that our reviews are accurate and helpful for our readers.
Testing involves using the gear with her own children, as well as observing other parents using the products. Ms. Lambert looks for safety concerns, ease of use, and whether the product actually lives up to its claims. She also takes into account the price of the product and whether it is a good value for what you get.
After testing a product, Naomi writes up her findings in a review. She includes both the positive and negative aspects of the product, as well as her own personal recommendations. Her reviews are honest and unbiased, and they can help you make informed decisions about which products are right for your family.
Aggregating Other real-user reviews from other moms:
A critical process in our reviews is incorporating feedback from other moms who have used the products we are testing. To get this information, we talk to parents in our networks and consult with product-specific experts.These experts must have published work in the field of early childhood development, have worked extensively with the product in question, or have significant experience in the manufacturing or design of the product.
We also read online reviews from other parents, but we take these with a grain of salt. We recognize that many online reviewers are not objective and that some may be biased because they were given the product for free or paid to write a review. For this reason, we only consider online reviews after they have been vetted by our team of experts.
If you are a parent who has used a product that we are interested in reviewing, we would love to hear from you! You can contact us at naomi.lam@motherhood