When it comes to having a baby, there are so many choices to make and one of the most important is selecting the right electric breast pump. Not all pumps are created equal and there are some important factors to consider when making your decision. Here is a list and review of the best electric breast pumps on the market today, based on our findings.
What is an electric breast pump?
An electric breast pump is a device that you can use to express your milk and collect it for later. They’re pretty similar to regular pumps, only they’re battery-powered and therefore not tied down by a cord.
Different types of electric breast pumps
There are two main types of electric breast pumps: single and double.
- Single bottle: This pump has one bottle which collects the milk. There are two types of single electric pumps: closed system and open system.
- Closed System Pump – This has a barrier between the storage container and the breast shield, so it is easier to clean because no milk can get into the tubing or motor that way. However this type often creates more suction in order to get the milk out.
- Open System Pump – This pump has no barrier between the milk collection container and the breast shield, so it is easier to clean because you can wash both parts thoroughly at once. However this type often creates less suction when extracting milk.
- Double Bottle: This pump extracts milk from both breasts at the same time. This is a popular choice for moms who want to pump as quickly as possible.
Electric pumps are different from their manual counterparts. A manual breast pump requires you to press a lever or a handle yourself in order to express milk from your breasts. Manual pumps are lightweight and don’t require batteries, which makes them an attractive choice for those who are constantly on the go.
How to choose an electric breast pump
When choosing an electric breast pump, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First of all, what type of bottle will you want? The type that collects milk into one container or the type that collects each side separately?
Secondly, how much suction power would you like? The more suction power, the easier it will be to extract your milk. But if the pump has too much power this can cause discomfort or pain while pumping.
Thirdly, how often do you plan to use it? If you expect to only pump once or twice a day, then buying a manual breast pump may be your best bet. If you plan to use it multiple times a day, then you’re better off investing more money into an electric pump.
Fourth, is the ease of cleaning. When choosing your breast pump, it’s important that you pick one with parts that are easy to clean and also sanitize. A closed-system (one-piece) pump is easier to clean because you only have to wash one part. An open system (separate pieces) will require more cleaning and sanitizing of each component.
Last, is the price. Breast pumps can cost anywhere from $50 to over $400 and that’s a huge difference in investment! If you’re only planning on pumping every once in a while, then spending over $150 is unnecessary. If you plan to pump several times a day for several months though, it may be worth the investment to purchase one of the higher-end electric pumps.
For all these reasons and more, we are thrilled to present our top picks for the best electric breast pumps
Best Electric Breast Pump 2022: Spectra S1
After comparing the 18 brands of electric-powered breast pumps in the market in 2022, we crowned Spectra S1 as the overall best in this list.
Spectra S1 is a hospital-grade quiet pump that you can get at a great price. It has decent suction strength and unique add-on features such as a nightlight and a timer.
I have reviewed this S1 model of Spectra in the review section below but if you are in a hurry, you can check its current price on Amazon here.
10 Best Electric Breast Pumps
Below is a comparative table of our 10 best electric breast pumps available in 2019:
|Name||Rating on 3/10/19||Price|
|Spectra S1||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Spectra 2Plus||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Medela Pump||4.2/5||Check Price|
|Spectra Baby USA – S1||4.4/5||Check Price|
|Yunbaby S19||4.5/5||Check Price|
|Philips Avent||4.7/5||Check Price|
|Medela Freestyle Double Electric Breast Pump||3.3/5||Check Price|
Reviews of Top Electric Breast Pumps 2022
1. Spectra Baby USA S1Plus Electric Breast Pump with Rechargeable Battery
Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus is our overall best electric breast pump you can find in the market in 2022.
Spectra S1 is a hospital-grade breast pump that provides moms with a comfortable, natural breastfeeding experience. Its unique features and technology make it the best electric breast pump for moms who are looking for an easy to use and portable device that will help them achieve their breastfeeding goals.
The Spectra Baby S1 has been clinically proven to mimic the feeling of nursing your baby naturally as closely as possible. It features a patented backflow protector which creates a complete physical barrier between the milk collection kit and tubing, ensuring hygiene and safety. This feature also allows you to pump
breasts simultaneously. The device comes with three customized settings to allow mothers the ability to fully customize their pumping experience, which allows them to select any speed and suction combination for maximum comfort.
It also works as an electric double pump; it is compatible with all major brand bottles and breast flanges (sold separately) so you can use the kit with your existing breast flanges. An added benefit of the system is that it fully supports hands-free double pumping.
The unit comes with a rechargeable battery, allowing for portability and flexibility when pumping on the go or at work. The pump also has an option to run off AC power so you won’t be left without power!
Truly, this is the best electric breast pump available on the market.
It was introduced to the market on July 13, 2019, as an improvement to the earlier S1 model that has been in the market since 12/212/2013. Over 2000 mothers have rated this pump highly, 4.5/5, and is among the best-selling breast pumps on Amazon (12th).
Below are some of the key features that I like most about the S1 Plus model:
- It has a strong suction power
- It is very easy to assemble
- It has a very low noise level
- It mimics the feeding of a baby thanks to its massage feature
- The massage feature of the pump, extraction can be sped up while stimulating a letdown
The table below summarizes the features of the S1 model and why we rated it as the overall best electric breast pump in 2022:
|Ranking and Rating||12th best-selling breast pump on Amazon and rated 4.5/5 by over 2000 mothers as of 10/3/2019|
|Why we like this electric pump and why we included it on this list||Made of BPA-free material, It is consistent with suction strength delivering consistent supply, very comfortable, and feels just like a baby’s suckle. This is despite the suction being strong, it is still comfortable and not painful at all.|
|Other features||Soothing soft pink, single or double pump capability and built-in nightlight for middle-of-the-night pumping|
Before we review the pros and cosn of Spectra S1, let’s go through the differences between S1 and S2 brands of Spectra breast pumps:
|Spectra S1||Spectra S2|
|It is blue in color||It is pink in color|
|It has a built-in battery that lasts for 3 hours when it fully charged.||It does not have a built-in battery|
|It is more portable than Spectra S2||It is not as easily portable as Spectra S1|
|It is slightly more expensive||It is cheaper|
|It weighs 1.1 kgs||It weighs 900 grams|
|Check price||Check price|
You can read a more detailed comparison of Spectra S1 vs S2
2. Bellababy Double Electric Breast Feeding Pumps
Bellababy Double Electric Breast Feeding Pumps is our second-best electric breast pump and as of this publication, it is the most sought-after electric pump on Amazon. It is the best-selling breast pump on Amazon and has over 3,000 parents who have rated it 4.3/5. It is designed with a closed system that makes it easy to clean and maintain and it came second on this list because it makes pumping comfortable compared to other options on this list.
The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump is the most advanced and powerful breast pump on the market today. It is designed to be a closed system, meaning that it won’t draw in any air from outside of the pump. This will ensure that you get 100% of your milk every time you use it and helps prevent infections or bacteria from being drawn into the pump. The Bellababy Double Electric Breast Pump features an LCD screen with 4 different modes and 9 levels of suction for your choice. It also has a massage function, which can help stimulate and prepare your milk ducts for breastfeeding.
The pump comes with many accessories, including two bottles, two storage cups, nipple covers, a charger and even a warming bag to keep your milk iced while you’re on the go. It has all the great features of the likes of Medela but is more affordable!
Bellababy was released to the market on July 4, 2018, an interesting coincidence with Independence Day (for Americans). For mothers, it meant a new era of a truly reliable and portable electric breast pump that is ideal for any working mother with a busy day schedule.
Bellababy is a battery-operated pump that eliminates the need for outlets and plugs.
This breast pump comes with a storage bag and it weighs less than one pound. Below is a video review of Bellababy:
According to Helium10, Bellababy ships over 3,700 units of Bellababy double breastfeeding pump as of Jan 2022. As shown in the snapshot below, Bellababy double electric breast pumps which cost about $60 is cheaper than Spectra S1, Spectra S2 and Medela breast pumps. Not sure if that entirely explains why it is currently the best-selling electric breast pump in 2022.
The chart below shows the sales trends from Dec. 15, 2019, to Jan 15, 2020:
3. MOSFiATA Double Breast Pump
Mosfiata double breast pump is our third best electric breast pump in our 2022 list.
Looking for a high-efficiency breast pump that will save you time? Look no further than the MOSFiATA Double Breast Pump. This automatic pump features three modes with nine suction levels each, so you can find the perfect setting for your needs. Made entirely from food-grade silicone and free of harmful substances, this pump is safe and comfortable to use. With its soft silicone massage cushion, it will make you feel comfortable while pumping milk and provide a secure seal and snug fit.
This pump features 3 modes with 9 suction levels each, so you can find the perfect setting for your needs. The soft silicone cushion provides a comfortable and secure fit, while the food-grade silicone parts are safe and free of harmful substances.
The rechargeable battery allows you to pump anywhere, anytime. When the power is running low, simply plug it in with a USB charger.
Mosfiata is currently the 28th best selling electric breast pump on Amazon and over 80 mothers have rated it 4.4/5.
This electric breast pump came second because of the following features we like the most:
- It is highly efficient: With this pump, you save over 70% of the time you would use with other breast pumps. This is because it has an automatically pacing mode that stimulates milk flow. In addition to the pacing, it has three suction modes with each mode having nice suction levels. You can use these levels to adjust to the level that works best for you making it very customizable.
- It is safe: Mosfiata is made of food-grade silicone that is BPA-free and without any harmful substance. With this breast pump, you can rest easy knowing that it won’t cause cancer.
- It is comfortable: The pump is made of a soft 3D silicone massage cushion that is very comfortable and will make you appreciate the electric breast pump as totally worth it.
- Adjustable: This pump has t3 Modes & 9 Suction Levels for Each Mode making it fully customizable to the suction level most comfortable for you.
When you purchase this pump on Amazon, you get the following items:
- 1 * Breast Pump,
- 2* 5oz/150ml Milk Bottle,
- 2* Nipple with Lid,
- 1* USB Cable,
- 2* tubes,
- 1* Straw Split Ends,
- 1* User Manual,
- 1* Pouch Bag
The table below compares Mosfiata vs Medallia vs Spectra S2
|It weighs 1.5 pounds||It weighs 7.02 pounds||It weighs 3.3 pounds|
|#175 in Electric Breast Pumps||#13 in Electric Breast Pumps||#8 in Electric Breast Pumps|
|Waterproof||Removable cooler bag with a contoured ice pack||Built-in nightlight for middle-of-the-night pumping|
|Double Electric Breast Pump With LCD Screen, Hygienic Closed System Design, Adjustable Suction Levels And Customizable Pumping Styles For Maximum Milk Production.||Three stylish microfiber bags to choose from (On-the-go-tote, Backpack, or the Metro Bag)||Single or Double Pump capability|
4. Medala Pump
Medala Pump is our fourth best electric pump in 2022 and it made it to this list as the favorite for mums who prefer it for these three main reasons:
- It is the easiest to clean amongst all other electric breast pumps in this list
- It is very portable
- It is very easy to assemble.
Medala Pump has only been in the market for less than three months as it was released on June 5, 2019. It is currently one of the most sought-after electric breast pumps on Amazon and as of this publication in October 2019, it is the 13th best-selling electric pump as shown in the snapshot below:
As shown in the rising sales chart below, Medala is gaining favor among mothers who prefer it for the reasons listed on the table below:
The table below summarizes features and functionalities of this breast pump and specifically what made us add it to this list as the fourth-best electric breast pump in 2019:
|Ranking and sales per month||#13 best-selling breast pump and 747 sales per month (Data source: Helium10)|
|Manufacturer||Medala, a company founded in 1961|
|Why we like this pump||It uses a patented 2-Phase Expression Technology, the first technology in the world to replicate a baby’s natural sucking behavior and natural nursing rhythm. It is also very portable as it comes with a rechargeable battery. It as overflow protection|
|Date released to the market||June 5, 2019|
|Cost||It cost $199 on October 3rd, 2019 but you can check its price today here.|
5. Yunbaby S19
Yunbaby S19 is our 5th best electric breast pump in 2019 and it was released to the market on April 24, 2019. Despite several additional features that other pumps don’t have such as nightlight soother music, this pump will only cost you a third of Medela’s cost yet delivering incredible comfort, flexibility and portability.
We included this pump specifically because of the pumping flexibility it gives as it has 5 pumping modes and 9 suction levels in each mode. Over 150 mothers have rated this pump 4.5/5 on Amazon for the following three key reasons:
- Ease of Use
Yunbaby S19 is similar to Spectra S2 and Medala but it has more suction modes and costs significantly less. A few complain have however been made by mums who found its suction power to be wanting.
The table below has mode details on features and why we included it as the 5th best electric pump in 2019:
|Manufacturer||Yunbaby, a Hong Kong-based company with over 5 years of experience manufacturing quality baby products|
|Ranking and rating||4.5/5 as of 10/3/2019|
|Why we included it||Portable, comes with 1800 mAh rechargeable batteries than can last for over 3 hours. It has several suction modes, with 9 different levels. It is safe as it is made of BPA free material. Very hygienic as it allows you to pump directly into our pre-sterilized breastmilk storage bags. It also comes with 5 free storage bags. It has a night light and great music player|
|Check Price||Cost $60 (on 10/3/2019) but you can check its current price here|
When you buy Yunbaby, you get the following in the packaging box:
- Yunbaby Breast Pump * 1
- Breast Milk Storage Bag * 5
- Milk storage bag adapter * 1
- Nipple with Lid * 1
- Dust Cover * 1
- Bottle Base * 1
- USB Cable * 1
- Dust Bag * 1
- Manual * 1
6. Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump SCF334/22
Philips Avent is our 6th best electric pump in 2019. It has been in the market for the last 2 years as it was released to the market on October 10, 2017 and after analyzing all the reviews that parents who’ve used the pump had to say, we found three main reasons why they preferred it despite being one of the pricier electric pumps on this list:
- It is designed to optimize milk flow and it comes with optional soft power cushions that add a suction boost when needed
- Its suction power is more reliable
- It also comes with a few parts that are very easy to assemble.
7. PiAEK Electric Breastfeeding Pumps
PiAEK Electric Breastfeeding Pumps is our 7th best electric pump in 2019. This product has been given a 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon as of November 2019 and there is NO critical review about it! Some of the reasons why most parents love it include;
- It aims to enhance the breastfeeding experience of the baby and the mother.
- It ensures that babies get the best nutrients in their diet.
- It enhances the bond between mother and child.
Some of the great features we loved about this pump include:
- Made with medical grade materials
- Require less effort to use than manual pumps
- Faster than other methods of expressing milk
- More comfortable because multiple settings
- Offer you flexibility, as hospital grade pumps can be hired
- Powered by 850 mAh capacity built-in battery
- Used 5-6 times only charged 1.5H
8. Spectra S1 Plus
Spectra S1 Plus is our 8th best electric pump in 2019. It is rated as #2 in Electric Breast Pumps . It has some great features that make parents consider it as one of the best electric pumps in 2019. These include;
- It is portable and quickly rechargeable for active moms
- Spectra S1 has a convenient, inbuilt rechargeable battery.
- It is quiet and discreet for soothing pumping
- The added night light allows you to easily pump at any hour
- This pump conveniently weighs only 2.9lbs
- Maximum suction strength of 250mmHg
- Ability to be used as a single or double pump
- The suction is adjustable in both let-down and expression mode.
9. Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump SCF334/21
Philips Avent Double Electric Breast Pump SCF334/21 is our 9th best electric pump in 2019. Some of the features include;
- Quiet Efficient Pump with a comfortable pumping position due to unique no lean forward design
- Choose from 3 expression settings (low, medium, high) after starting in the gentle stimulation mode.Stages 0-6 months
- Soft, warm stimulation massage cushion now has a soft, warm texture intended to help stimulate breast milk flow
- Compact, lightweight design for ease of use and transport- fewer light weight parts
- It weighs 1.99 pounds
The electric pump box comes with;
- Breast pump body: 1 pcs
- Base unit incl. tubing: 1 pcs
- Large massage cushion (25mm): 1 pcs (A smaller size cushion is available separately)
- Power cushion (27mm): 1 pcs
- Natural bottle 4oz with newborn nipple: 1 pcs
- Travel cover: 1 pcs
- Sealing disc for milk storage: 1 pcs
- Breast pad sample packs: 2pcs (2 Day pads & 2 Night pads)
10. Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump
Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump is our 10th best electric pump in 2019. Some of the great feature that we loved about this pump include;
- Battery pack (The Metro Bag’s is in a soft pouch): Lets you pump anywhere, anytime
- On-the-go Tote & Backpack have a built-in pump The Metro Bag has a removable pump: For portable, discreet pumping
- Three stylish microfiber bags to choose from (On-the-go-tote, Backpack, or the Metro Bag): Holds everything you need to pump
- Single knob speed/vacuum adjustments: For comfortable pump settings
- Removable cooler bag with contoured ice pack: Holds 4 breast milk bottles and ice pack to keep breast milk bottles cool
- All parts that touch breast milk are made without BPA: Safe for you and your baby
- On-the-go Tote also features: – Built-in bottle holders – Tubing storage pocket: Help prevent spills and keeps tubing organized between pumping sessions
- Dual voltage: 110-240v allows mom to pump while traveling outside the United States
In the box, you also find;
- 1 – Pump In Style Advanced featuring Medela’s 2-Phase Expression technology
- 1 – cooler bag with ice pack
- 4 – breast milk bottles with lids
- 1 – double pumping kit with PersonalFit breast shields
- 1 – power adaptor
Buying Guide for Electric Breast Pumps
How to use Electric Breast Pump
The video below describes how to use an electric breast pump:
Manual Vs Electric Breast Pump
Below is a video describing the differences between manual and electric breast pump:
How to Clean and Sterilize an electric breast pump
Personally, I did not exclusively breastfeed( also called Exclusive Breastfeeding, “EBF”) but I still appreciated using a reliable electric breast pump when I needed it. I mostly used it during the weekdays and I can’t describe how helpful it was.
Any busy mom or working mom understands the incredible convenience that breast pumps offer on a daily busy schedule. For busy mums who need to pump and leave the milk with the caregiver to be given to the baby at a later time. The portability and the reliability of any electric breast pump will go a long way in assisting you to conveniently manage expressing milk to have it ready when your baby needs it.
Before we review all the top-rated breast pumps that are powered by batteries or AC, let’s go through the different types available in the market.
Types of Breast Pumps:
You can choose from any of the following types of breast pumps:
- Double-electric breast pumps: If you are mostly in a hurry, double-electric breast pumps enable you to pump both breasts at once. These types are the favorite for a lot of parents and I personally got one of this when I first bought an electric breast pump.
- Single-electric breast pumps: With a single electric breast pump, you can only pump one breast at a time and while it may not be as fast as a double electric breast pump, it is cheaper and can allow you to save some money.
- Battery-operated breast pumps: They are few electric breast pumps that are powered by batteries. While battery-operated breast pumps make them very portable, they also run out of battery quickly and do not generate enough suction power, making them slower.
- Manual breast pumps: If you want to do more of the work, the manual breast pumps are excellent as they are more portable, light, and inexpensive.
Open-system or Closed-System pump?
Any parent in the market for an electric breast pump will come across these terms.
- Open-closed System: Open systems are not the most hygienic pumps as they don’t have a barrier between the milk and the pump system. Milk flows to the storage bag through tubes but they do not have an anti-overflow mechanism. They are cheaper than closed systems.
- Closed-system pumps: Closed-system pumps are also regarded as hospital-grade as they are designed to avoid overflowing of milk. It is called a closed system as the pump is sealed off from milk by a barrier. They are very hygienic but have smaller tubes that make them difficult to sterilize.
Electric Breast Pump FAQs
Yes. Electric pumps are a good investment because it has a double pump and therefore more convenient when you are planning to be away from your baby for a long time or when you have twins.
Yes, electric pumps are better than manual because they are not as labor-intensive as the manual breast pumps. Also, most of the electric breast pumps are double and emulate the two-phase suckling pattern.
When you are pumping and your milk starts to flow, you may feel a tingling sensation. However, pumping should not be painful and if it does when you are using an electric pump, lower the suction level.
When you are pumping breast milk for your baby using a double electric breast pump, it yields more milk and decreases the amount of time spent pumping the milk. This leads to a stimulation of more milk production in the body and hence an increase in milk supply.
According to statistics, just like breastfeeding, pumping breast milk using electric breast pumps reduces the risk of breast cancer.
Yes. However, you should call the airline you are flying to confirm the rules and get them in writing if possible. If you are flying with a breast pump, make sure you carry your pump on. It may not be counted as a carry-on but as a medical device by the airline.
Some of the places that you can rent the electric breast pumps are your hospital or local lactation consultant who may have rentals. They can also refer you to the nearest rental facility. You can also search for rental locations at Ameda or Medela’s website.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhood HQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.