In this post, we have reviewed the best foldable and portable bassinets ideal for travel.
A bassinet is one of the must-have items if you have a newborn and a foldable one that is portable is even more helpful. It provides a comfortable spot for your baby to sleep and keeps the baby close for convenient nighttime checks, diaper changes, and feeding. This closeness helps the baby feel safe and secure and will eliminate any anxiety you may have, translating to better sleep for you and the baby. Some bassinets are designed with a lowering wall so that you are practically co-sleeping but with the baby in their safe bed.
Having a portable bassinet is even more wonderful because you can take the baby with you to other rooms where you may be working. When visiting relatives and friends or vacations, it can be folded and carried conveniently. If you are looking into buying a portable bassinet, check out the carefully compiled list we made after hours of research. Read through the reviews of the best foldable and portable bassinets below so you can make an informed choice before buying.
Best Foldable and Portable Bassinets Reviews 2021
The BabyBjorn has a modern and minimalistic design and is an excellent option if you are looking for a basic bassinet with premium quality. It tops this list because it is light and small in size, which means you can pick it up and carry it to any room in your house easily without disassembling it. And in case you need to travel, you only need to remove a few screws to be able to fold it flat into a compact package.
The other reason we loved this bassinet is that it uses safe and high-quality materials with JMPA certification. See all JPMA-certified bassinets here. As you know, your baby’s health is critical, and having such certification means that your baby is not exposed to any harmful substances.
It has all-sides mesh, which allows you to see your baby from any direction and provide maximum ventilation. The design is also great because there are no loose parts or bars that can trap your baby’s tiny hands or feet.
This bassinet has wooden and metal legs that look stylish and sturdy and sit low to the ground, enabling you to see your baby from any angle.
Lastly, it has the ability to rock when you gently push on the sides when you want to lull your baby to sleep.
- Simple design and aesthetically appealing
- Uses high quality materials which guarantees durability
- Easy to put together in minutes
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- All mesh sides provide plenty of airflow and visibility
- It is great for small spaces
- It provides gentle rocking motion to help relax and lull the baby to sleep. See all auto-rocking bassinets here.
- Easy care, machine washable fabrics
- It is expensive
- It is too low to use as a co-sleeper, and the height is not adjustable
The Halo bassinet is a dream come true for any parent as it offers excellent functionality with its many features. Its most popular feature is the 360-degree swivel motion that allows a parent to move the baby close or to the side when they want to get out of bed. The other adored feature is the lowering sidewall, which makes it easy to access the baby from the bed. The base is adjustable to fit beds measuring 24 to 34 inches high, and the slim legs slide under the bed enabling parents to have the bassinet as a co-sleeper. Those three features make the Halo an excellent choice for C-section moms as they can tend to the baby without much strain.
This bassinet is also a soothing center with a variety of features that will be effective in calming and relaxing your baby. It has a night light, vibrations, and soothing sounds and melodies. These features will help even a fussy baby to fall asleep faster and sleep longer. It also has a back-to-sleep reminder to put the baby back to bed, which is so helpful when you are dozing off as you nurse/feed your baby in the middle of the night.
The other things you will love about this bassinet are the mesh walls for maximum breathability and visibility from all angles. Plus, pockets on the sides to keep some handy essential items you need for diaper changes and the likes.
The Halo with a swivel stand is not a portable option given the heavy and large base. However, you can still be able to carry the bassinet with you by detaching it from the base, which is easy enough. The second option would be to buy the Halo portable stand (at an extra cost), which is lighter and simpler to take across rooms. The only disadvantage will be that you won’t have the swivel function.
- It is very sturdy and durable
- It has mesh sides for safety and visibility
- 360-degree swivel makes it easy to draw the baby close and move the bassinet out of the way
- Adjustable height to fit different beds for easy access
- Has lowering sides that allow in-bed access and can also be locked in place
- It has vibrations, soothing sounds, and lullabies to lull the baby to sleep. Check out our list of all bassinets with vibrations and music here.
- The nightlight provides just enough light to allow feeding and diaper changes without waking the baby
- It is expensive
- Some customers complained of the baby tilting to one side
If you want not just a portable bassinet that you can move around your house but also a travel-friendly bassinet you can use on an airplane, the MiClassic 2-in-1 is perfect. Not just that, it also has the soothing capabilities of a rocking bassinet helping your baby fall asleep easily and longer.
Coming back to the portable aspect, you need to know that the bassinet is foldable. Even more impressive is that it only requires you to pull up on the strap in the center crease of the mattress, and it will fold right in half into a compact size. It is so convenient for travel because once you fold it down, you can easily slip it inside the included carry bag, and the large straps make it easy to tote around.
The other thing we loved is that it has mesh on all sides, which is a great safety feature. This gives parents peace of mind to know that the baby can still breathe easily even if she/he somehow managed to roll to the side. It also allows visibility from all sides.
Again, this bassinet gently rocks to soothe your fussy baby to sleep. And another benefit is that setting up or taking it apart is super easy for anyone, and it does not require any tools.
- Provides excellent value money and affordable
- Lightweight and foldable for convenient storage and travel
- Easy to assemble without tools
- It has a higher weight limit compared to others and plenty of room for the baby to grow
- Mesh sides allow maximum breathability and visibility
- It has rocking ability to help soothe the baby
- The mattress is thin and feels hard
- The folding crease in the center causes the mattress not to lay flat
Fisher-price bassinets are very popular for their great pricing and functionality. This model is designed with portability in mind and can be easily moved from one room to another, when visiting friends and family, or going on a vacation. It’s easy to assemble and take apart, and folds down into a small package that can be stored or carried with an included travel bag.
The other thing we loved was the all mesh panels enabling you to have a full view of your baby from any side while providing maximum ventilation. And on the side is an electronic center with calming vibrations that are very effective in relaxing the baby.
If you want a functional, traveling bassinet that fits within a tight budget, this bassinet retails under $50, making it a great choice.
- Inexpensive, and cheapest on this list
- Cute design
- Well-made and sturdy
- All mesh sides for maximum breathability and visibility
- Lightweight and foldable making it perfect for travel
- Has calming vibrations to soothe the baby
- The mattress lays flat and is comfortable
- The travel bag does not close completely
- It might not be suitable for air travel due to the awkward dimensions, which makes it hard to find a fitting container.
The Arm’s Reach Cambria with dropping sides functions as a co-sleeper allowing the baby to sleep right next to mama, but in their own safe space. The height of this bassinet’s legs is adjustable to fit beds with a height above 24 inches, allowing you to pick the baby and place them down without strain. It also means you can respond to the baby’s needs easily and faster. The bassinet can also function as a standalone bassinet when you lock the walls in place. This feature is great because you don’t want to risk your baby falling out when you are not around.
It’s on this list because it has wheels making it a portable option as you can easily take it with you around the house to keep an eye on your little one as you finish up chores. To keep it sturdy and safe, the wheels are lockable to prevent the bassinet from rolling away accidentally, and there is a tether strap to secure it to your bed at night.
This bassinet also has mesh sides for breathability and visibility. It also has two spacious storage baskets underneath to arrange the baby’s items that you need to have close at hand, such as change of clothes, diapers, wipes, swaddles, and the likes.
- Sides can lobe folded down or locked in place to use as a co-sleeper or standalone bassinet
- Mesh walls provide adequate breathability
- The wheels rolls easily and have a break for safety
- Adjustable height allows it to fit different bed heights for easy access
- Have storage baskets to keep the baby’s essentials within easy reach
- Parents wish it had more color options
- It does not have the easiest assembly
- It’s smaller than other co-sleepers
- Mattress is hard and flimsy
This is the new Rock and Play sleeper by Fisher Price after the original one that had an incline was recalled due to safety concerns. If you were a fan of the original bassinet, you will not be disappointed by trying this improved model.
It is on this list first because it is very portable. The frame collapses down to almost flat for easier packing for travel or when you just want to move it to other rooms within the house. We would not say it folds into a compact size, but its ultra light weight (7.5 pounds) makes it very easy to lug around.
The other reason we love this bassinet is that one, it is sturdy and deeper and has a higher weight limit (25 pounds) than other bassinets, which allows your baby to enjoy the benefits of sleeping in a bassinet longer. Second, the mesh sides promote airflow, keeping the baby cool and comfortable, and allow easy breathability and visibility. And, it has some nice toys and a mirror for your baby to play with when awake while a gentle rocking motion soothes them to sleep.
It is also a very easy bassinet to maintain as the sheet and pad are removable and can easily be cleaned and dried by machine.
- It is sturdy
- The frame folds up flat for easy packing and moving
- It has breathable mesh walls for safety, visibility, and comfort
- It can rock to soothe the baby or locked in place for stationary use
- It has mobile toys to entertain the baby
- Easy care, machine washable and dryer safe
- Great pricing
- Customers report that the mattress shrinks when thrown in the washing machine, but the problem can be avoided by rinsing the pad and washing only sheets
6 used from $17.78
If you are serious about getting a true travel bassinet, one that you can just grab and head out the door, the Brica Fold N Go bassinet is an excellent option. This is the most convenient bassinet for travel there is. First, it is practically weightless, weighing less than 3 pounds, and will be easy to carry around. Second, it folds down flat by a simple push of a button making it less bulky to carry. And, it has its own carrying handle, so you don’t need an extra carrying bag. It is so small it will fit into a suitcase when folded.
By any standards, this is a safe bassinet with mesh sides for breathability and a steel frame for stability. It also comes with a mattress and fitted sheets, so your baby’s cozy bed is always ready for use and can be placed on the bed, floor, couch, grass- wherever you are!
This is also a very inexpensive bassinet that cost less than $50, which is so much less than other portable bassinets in the market. But, there is a tradeoff due to its lower weight capacity (15 pounds), which means it can only serve your baby only a few months after birth.
- Well structured with a sturdy locking steel frame
- It has mesh sides for breathability and visibility
- Easily folds down flat for easy carrying and storage
- It’s the perfect size for traveling
- The base is solid and doesn’t sag even after folding
- Only suitable for newborns and small babies due to its small size and the low weight capacity
- The mattress is really thin
The Chicco LullaGo functions as a bedside bassinet, but it is also great for traveling families. It takes less than a minute to take apart and put together and fold down flat. It also comes with a carrying bag for storage and traveling.
As a bedside sleeper, it sits at just the right height for most beds, making it easy for parents to tend to the baby’s needs. The two side pockets are very conveniently placed to keep small essential items within easy reach. It is roomy and with mesh sides keeping your baby safe and comfortable.
To keep it looking fresh, all the fabrics, including the mattress cover, are removable and can be tossed into the machine.
- Easy and fast assembly and disassembling
- It folds down compactly for easy storage and travel
- Mesh sides provide maximum airflow and visibility
- Functions as a bedside sleeper
- Reasonably priced
- Fabrics are removable and machine washable
The mattress dips in the center where it folds from
Sheets are hard to find
This stylish bassinet comes in several beautiful colors to match your unique taste and is an excellent travel option. The legs are removable, and the bassinet part is one-piece that folds compactly for storage in the included travel bag. The frame is made from Aluminium steel, which makes this a very light bassinet (7 pounds) to lug around.
Besides being portable, this is one of the most comfortable bassinets in the market. The mattress quality is good. The fabrics are super soft and it has see-through mesh panels that will have your baby breathing nice and easy.
This bassinet is spacious and has a generous weight limit of 25 pounds, so your baby will be able to use it longer than most other bassinets. It is also very affordably priced ($70 the most expensive model), giving you the best value for money.
- Well-made and sturdy
- Has several color designs to choose from
- Foldable and lightweight making it easily portable
- Mesh sides allow airflow and visibility
- Removable and machine washable fabrics
This is a really cute and modern bedside sleeper with a fully adjustable canopy to provide full coverage when outdoors. As you can see from the pictures above, it folds down compactly, making it easy to move about, and includes a nice-looking storage travel bag.
This bassinet has mesh panels allowing you to check on your baby from the bed and also for ventilation. The removable canopy helps to create a cozy sleep environment free from glaring lights, pets, and bugs.
It comes with a water-resistant mattress pad, which makes wiping small messes a breeze, and the sheet is easily washed by machine. This bassinet is very affordable and perfect for use at home, on vacations, or even camping.
- A simple and adorable design
- It’s very sturdy
- Has a double canopy for full protection against the sun, insects, and pets
- Mesh sides provide visibility and breathability.
- Very affordable
- Easiest assembly, just lock the legs in
- Compact and lightweight hence great for travel
- The mattress is thin
- The canopy falls into the bassinet when it is unzipped and might make it hard to pick the baby
The Lillypod bassinet features a modern and classic design that is so appealing. It is available in many designs and color options to suit your bedroom decor. If you love a little luxury that catches the eye, this is it.
This is a well-made bassinet with high-quality materials that will last. It has soft fabrics with quilted knitting and a premium-comfort mattress, which will have your baby sleeping in luxury. It glides back and forth on its legs when the baby moves or when you rock it with your feet, helping to relax and settle your baby.
Although you can’t see from the pictures above, there are inbuilt wheels in the bottom of the rocker feet, making it very easy for you to move it around your house. The legs are removable and the bassinet folds into a compact size for easier storage and traveling with the included bag.
- Modern and classic design that is aesthetically appealing
- Rocks to soothe the baby
- Lightweight and foldable for easy storage and travel
- Great for small spaces. See all the best bassinets for small spaces like apartments here.
- You can’t see the baby fully through the mesh sides
- There is a risk of the baby not being able to breathe should they roll with the face pressed against the wall
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhood HQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.