Teens can be hard to shop for, but with the right gift card, you can make sure they’ll love your present. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at some of the best gift cards for teens and why they make great gifts.
While COVID saw a slight decrease in the purchase of gift cards, the gift card market is set to continue growing. The global gift cards market will reach $2,076.51 billion in 2027, according to Allied Market Research, with a CAGR of 16.2% from 2020 through 2027.
Having worked with several high-school parents to guide them on gift card suggestions, I have some helpful insights and have also spent a good amount doing research on best options for Christmas, Birthday, or graduation gift cards for teens.
Why get a gift card for a teen?
There are a few reasons why gift cards make great gifts for teens. For one, they can be used to buy anything the teen wants, whether its clothes, music, movies or video games. Additionally, gift cards help teach teens how to budget and spend responsibly. By giving them a gift card instead of cash, you’re helping them learn how to save up for the things they want and not overspend.
Factors to consider when picking a gift card for a teen:
When picking a gift card for a teen, there are a few things you need to consider.
- Firstly, think about what the teen is interested in. If they love fashion, get them a gift card to a clothing store; if they’re into music, get them a gift card to iTunes or Amazon. You can also get gift cards that aren’t tied to any one store, like a Visa or Mastercard gift card.
- Secondly, think about how much money you want to spend. Most gift cards come with a set amount of money that can be used at the store or online. If you want to give a smaller amount, there are also gift cards that range from $5 to $25.
- Finally, make sure the gift card is easy to use. Many gift cards can be used online or in-store, and some can even be used for purchases over the phone.
What are some great gift cards for teens?
Here are some of our favorite gift cards for teens:
– iTunes gift card: This is a great option for music lovers. Teens can use an iTunes gift card to buy songs, albums, and even movies and TV shows.
– Amazon gift card: Amazon is a great one-stop-shop for everything from books to electronics. Teens can use an Amazon gift card to buy anything they want on the site.
– Clothing store gift cards: If your teen loves fashion, a gift card to a clothing store like Old Navy or Gap is a great option.
– Movie theater gift cards: A gift card to a movie theater is perfect for film buffs. It can be used to buy tickets for any movie, and some theaters also offer concessions like popcorn and candy.
– Video game store gift cards: If your teen loves video games, a gift card to a store like GameStop is a great option. They can use it to buy games, consoles, and other gaming accessories.
– Gym membership gift cards: If your teen is interested in getting fit, a gym membership gift card is a great way to help them get started. Many gyms offer monthly memberships that start at around $10 per month.
Visa or Mastercard Gift Cards:
If you’re not sure what the teen is interested in, a Visa or Mastercard gift card is a safe bet. These cards can be used at any store that accepts credit cards.
These gift cards may be used at any merchants that accept Visa or Mastercard, allowing teenagers to purchase gas, school lunches, after-school snacks, movie tickets, a smoothie during break time, and more. They can also be used to acquire necessities such as school materials, hygiene items, or apparel. The idea is that teens require flexibility for their wants and needs. And, gift cards offer this by not locking the gifter into any purchase that the teen might not need or want.
Amazon Gift Cards:
Amazon gift cards can be used to purchase a variety of items, including electronics, music downloads, books, and other items that teenagers require. The card can be used for a purchase of any amount and does not expire. Teenagers like Amazon gift cards because they provide freedom of choice for the items they select to buy, and parents like Amazon gift cards because they can be used to purchase items that are in line with the teenager’s interests.
Target Gift Cards:
If you are looking for a gift card that the teenager can use to purchase items such as clothing, shoes, accessories, and dorm room supplies, the Target gift card would be ideal. The Target gift card does not expire and can be used at any of the retailer’s stores in the United States. Additionally, the Target gift card can be used to purchase items from the Target website.
Gift cards are a great way to give teens what they want without having to worry about whether or not they’re getting the right gift. They’re also perfect for teens who are difficult to shop for. By giving a gift card, you let the teen choose what they want and need. So, if you’re stuck on what to get that special teenager in your life, a gift card is always a safe and sure bet.
Electronics Gift Cards: GameStop gift cards
You can get your teen a Gamestop Gift Card which he/she can use to purchase smartphones, games, music players, and other electronics goods. Gamestop is a great place to buy the latest gaming consoles, games, and accessories.
Clothing Gift Cards: Old Navy gift cards
If your teen loves fashion, you can get him/her an Old Navy gift card. Old Navy is a clothing store that sells both casual and formal apparel for men, women, and children. The store has something for everyone, and gift cards can be used at any of Old Navy’s locations in the United States.
Transport Gift Card: Uber gift card
Teens these days are always on the go, so a great gift card to consider is an Uber gift card. An Uber gift card can be used to pay for rides in over 500 cities worldwide. And, since teens are always busy, this is a great way for them to get around quickly and easily.
Food Gift Cards: Starbucks gift cards
Starbucks is a great place for teens to get coffee or tea, and the company also sells food items such as pastries, sandwiches, and salads. Plus, Starbucks has locations all over the world, so your teen can use the gift card at any of the chain’s stores.
iTunes Gift Cards:
iTunes gift cards are perfect for teens who love to listen to music, watch movies and TV shows, or read books. With an iTunes gift card, your teen can purchase anything from the Apple App Store, the iTunes Store, and the iBooks Store.
Other food: Chick-fil-A or Subway Gift card:
Chick-fil-A and Subway are two of the most popular fast-food chains in the United States. Both offer sandwiches, salads, and sides that are perfect for Teens. Plus, gift cards can be used at any of their locations in the United States.
Sephora gift card:
Sephora is a great place for teens to buy makeup, beauty products, and perfumes. The store has locations all over the world, and gift cards can be used at any of them. So, if your teen loves makeup and wants to try out new products, a Sephora gift card is the perfect present.
How to give a gift card:
If you’re giving a physical gift card, it’s important to make sure it’s wrapped up nicely. You can buy gift card holders at most stores, or you can make your own using construction paper and a hole punch.
If you’re giving an electronic gift card, you can email it to the teen or send it through a messaging app like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger.
Tips and rules when buying a gift card for a teen:
Teens between the ages of 13 and 19 are becoming more independent, but they aren’t quite there yet. As a result, gift cards that allow them to acquire what they want (or go where they want to go) are the most beneficial. As a result, gift cards for teens should fulfill the following conditions:
- Get gift cards that wouldn’t require your teen to spend more money to use the card: This will avoid any possible debt the teen may incur. If they get money working some odd jobs such as babysitting, they shouldn’t use their hard-earned money to redeem your gift card gift.
- Consider getting a big-amount gift card compared to several small-amount gift card: Your teen is maturing and may be willing to save up and buy a big-ticket item such as a computer and a large gift card – compared to several smaller ones may assist with this. Unlike smaller kids of age 12 or below, several small cards are not attractive anymore. Smaller kids get attracted to several things and may like several smaller gift cards compared to one big gift card.
- The card must be usable at a variety of stores or restaurants: This will give your teen a variety of options to choose from, rather than being restricted to a certain place.
- The gift card must have an expiration date: This will avoid any possible waste on the card if not used in time, and will also motivate your teen to use it as soon as possible.
- Check the balance of the gift card before gifting it: This is important so that your teen knows how much money is available on the card and
- Consider those cards that are available online: This will prevent your teen from losing the gift card, as sometimes happens with physical cards.
When it comes to buying gifts for teens, gift cards are always a safe option. They’re versatile, convenient, and allow the recipient to get exactly what they want.
-The gift card should be for a store or restaurant that the teen is likely to visit.
-The gift card should be for a reasonable amount of money.
-The gift card should be easy to use.
-The gift card should not require your teen to spend money to redeem it
Gift cards for teenage girl
Teenage girls in their high-school years would appreciate a gift card that will allow them to buy clothes, cosmetics, or anything that she might need. A gift card for a clothing store would be ideal, as it would give her the opportunity to buy whatever she likes, within certain boundaries. If your teen daughter is into cosmetics and beauty products, a gift card for a store like Sephora would be great. It’s a store that sells high-quality makeup, beauty products, and perfumes. The store has locations all over the world, and gift cards can be used at any of them. So, if your teen loves makeup and wants to try out new products, a Sephora gift card is the perfect present.
Alternatively, you could give your teen a gift card for a restaurant. This would be ideal if you’re not sure what she wants, or if you want her to have the freedom to choose something she’ll enjoy. Allowing your daughter to eat out at her favorite restaurant is a great way to show her that you care about her. Plus, it’s a fun experience that she’ll remember. Just make sure that the restaurant you choose is one she’s likely to visit, otherwise the gift card will be useless.
Gift Cards For Teenage Boys
Teenage boys in their high-school years would also appreciate a gift card that will allow them to buy clothes, electronics, or anything that they might need. A gift card for a clothing store or an electronics store would be ideal, as it would give him the opportunity to buy whatever he likes, within certain boundaries. If your teen son is into gaming and wants to buy the latest game, a gift card for a store like GameStop would be great. It’s a store that sells video games, gaming consoles, and other gaming-related items. The store has locations all over the world, and gift cards can be used at any of them.
You can also offer AMC Theaters Gift Card which they can use to buy movie tickets, popcorn, and drinks. The AMC theater chain is one of the largest in the United States, so your teen will definitely have a chance to use it.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a grand-mom to two boys and is part of the review board here at Motherhoodhq.com. She is responsible for the quality control of content and is among our most experienced moms. She has over 20 years of writing parenting content online focussing on baby safety indoors and outdoors. She has written widely on babyproofing nurseries and homes for infants and toddlers and published work on privacy and the safety of baby monitors. She is a renowned advocate for non-wifi baby monitors that cannot be hacked and spends a lot of time educating parents on how to secure their homes – including ways to secure the baby from harm in and around homes. Sandra is a native of Atlanta where she also works. She can be reached using her email, Sandra.w(at)motherhoodhq.com