Organic crib sheets are made from materials that do have chemicals, pesticides, or dyes, making them the safest option for your baby who requires an organic environment to sleep.
The best organic crib sheets are those that use organic fabric and their coloring does not use any toxic dyes.
Organic crib sheets are the best for your baby because they provide them with almost a natural sleeping environment, making their extended sleeping hours safe from toxins that are usually a risk with non-organic sheets.
This article provides you essential information about the organic crib sheets, including:
- The benefits of organic crib sheets
- What to avoid when picking organic non-toxic crib sheets
- What to look for when picking the best organic crib sheets, and
- The best organic crib sheets
Why baby needs a natural sleep environment
Babies need to sleep in a natural sleep environment as much as possible because their bodies do not develop detoxifying organs until they are six months old. Besides, babies require to sleep in organic spaces because they absorb toxins a lot faster than adults because they inhale 50% more oxygen per breath than adults and have quicker metabolisms than adults, rendering them to higher rates of toxin absorption.
Their sleeping environment, primarily their crib, should be free of toxins as much as possible to prevent allergies and toxins that threaten their wellness and sleep.
Using organic crib sheets for your baby is one major way of providing a natural environment for your child because they regulate the temperatures, absorb excess moisture, are non-toxic, fire-retardant, and are dust, mite, and mildew-resistant.
Benefits of organic crib sheets
- Reduced chemical exposure. Organic crib sheets protect your baby from chemical exposure because they do not have chemical flame retardants that are toxic because they off-gas into the air, becoming breathable by your child.
Instead, organic crib sheets use fabrics such as wool that is naturally flame retardant, or fabrics with safety-certified form and all-natural flex ensuring that they are flame resistant.
- Breathable material. Organic crib sheets have a breathable material, facilitating your baby’s safety and comfort. The breathable material absorbs moisture, keeping your baby only moisturized enough for better sleep. The breathable material also keeps your baby cool during the hot season, also allowing your baby to sleep comfortably.
- Prevents baby skin irritation. Organic crib sheets use non-toxic dyes, eliminate bleach treatments, and do not contain synthetic fragrances to prevent your baby from reacting from the toxic chemicals.
Instead, organic crib sheets use non-toxic dyes to achieve the bright colors of the bedding.
- Durability. Organic crib sheets are more durable than non-organic ones because chemical processes with non-organic crib sheets weaken the fiber.
- Organic crib sheets are dust mite resistant.
- Organic crib sheets are mold and mild resistant.
What to look for when picking the best organic crib sheets
Always remember that the best organic crib sheets are made of non-toxic fabrics, are breathable, are flame resistant, and are dust, mite, and mildew resistant.
Look out for the following terms and certifications when choosing the best organic crib sheets for your baby:
- Zinc. Crib sheets made of zinc-infused fiber are recommended because zinc makes them microbes, mites, and odor resistant, making the sheets safe for your baby and easy to keep clean.
- Certified Organic Cotton. Pick organic crib sheets that are made from 100% certified organic cotton because the fabrics are chemical free, meaning they are non-toxic to your baby.
GOTS certification makes sure that everything, beginning from the organic cotton crop farming to the manufacturing process is toxin-free.
Always look out for the GOTS log on the tag of the crib sheet and not just the label “GOTS certified cotton” to ensure that its growth and manufacturing is chemical free.
The OEKO-Tex certification label on the tag indicates that your organic cotton cribs are free from chemicals, pesticides, and toxins from both organic and non-organic fibers.
Pick baby cribs that use organic cotton and have the OEKO-Tex label only.
- Certified Organic Kapok. Choose organic crib sheets that are made from certified organic kapok because they are void of GMOs, synthetic fertilizers , toxins, and synthetic pesticides. Organic crib sheets made from certified organic kapok are also best for your baby because its silk cotton acts as a thermoregulator because of its breathability.
- Organic Pigments and Dyes. Buy organic crib sheets with an ‘organic pigments and dyes” label because they are gentler and safer for your baby compared to synthetic dyes.
Otherwise, choose unbleached organic white crib sheets because they are mostly likely untreated with harsh chemicals for your baby.
What to avoid as you pick organic non-toxic crib sheets
- Non-certified cotton. Do not choose crib sheets that are made from non-certified cotton even when labeled “organic cotton” because they could be pest-ridden or manufactured using chemicals such as AZO dyes and formaldehyde.
- Synthetic fibers. Do not pick crib sheets made from synthetic fibers because they are usually made with petroleum-based chemicals such as nylon, acrylic, and polyester. The chemicals are a health-hazard to your baby because their skin can absorb them and are not breathable.
- Flannel. Avoid buying baby crib sheets made of flannels made of synthetic fibers such as polyester and non-certified organic cotton that have harmful toxins to your baby.
Note. Only buy flannels made from certified organic cotton.
- Bamboo. Do not buy crib sheets made from bamboo fiber because they are saturated with chemicals. Bambo’s undergo an intense chemical process using bleach, carbon disulfide, sulphuric acid, and sodium hydroxide to make fabric and the chemicals remain in the fabric even after washing.
- Fabric finishes. Do not purchase crib sheets with labels such as “stain-resistant,” “anti-static,” “fire-retardant,” and “wrinkle-resistant” yet they are non-organic because they are filled with chemicals such as Teflon and formaldehyde to achieve the functions.
Reviews of the Best organic crib sheets
Coyuchi organic crib sheets are most suitable for your baby because they use organically-grown and organically manufactured fabric, achieving the GOTS-certification.
Coyuchi organic crib sheets are also available in different fabrics and prints, ranging from sateen to flannel finishes and nontoxic pigments.
Coyuchi organic crib sheets are available on Amazon from $38 for both Organic Crinkled Percale™ Crib Sheet and Cloud Brushed™ Organic Flannel Crib Sheet.
Monica and Andy
Monica and Andy organic crib sheets provide your baby with the most natural sleeping environment for your baby because they are made from organically farmed and processed organic cotton, acquiring the GOTS-certification. The crib sheets are lead, phthalate, and flame-retardant.
Monica and Andy sheets also enhance SIDS prevention because its full elasticity provides a fitted sheet for a standard-size mattress of upto 4” deep with shrinkage of 1% only.
Besides, Monica and Andy organic crib sheets support a cold machine wash and low, making their maintenance easy and fast.
Monica and Andy organic crib sheets are available for purchase on the monicaandandy website from $26.99.
Burt’s Bee crib sheets are 100% organic with GOTS-certifications providing your baby with a non-toxic, breathable, and thermo-regulating sleeping environment.
Burt’s Bee is also a parent’s favorite crib sheet because they are available in many different prints, offering you choices to pick one that suits your babyroom’s theme.
Purchase Burt’s Bee organic, fitted crib sheets on Amazon from $14
Lovevery crib sheets provide your baby with a chemical-free sleeping experience. Lovevery crib sheets are OEKO-TEX certified, having been tested for 350 regulated and unregulated harmful substances in an independent lab.
Besides, the crib sheets are soft with complementary and hand-painted prints, enhancing your baby’s comfort and visual stimulation.
Lovery crib sheets are also easy to maintain because you can machine wash them warm and tumble dry low.
Buy Lovevery 100% organic crib sheets from the lovevery website from $45.
The Naturepedic crib sheets also have a fitted design with a full elastic perimeter to offer a secure fit for your baby cribs
The Naturepedic crib sheets are available in four colors to suit your baby room’s theme
Finally, the crib sheets are easy to maintain because you can machine wash and dry them.
Buy Naturepedic crib sheets from naturepedic for $29.
Magnolia organics crib sheets are suitable for your baby because they are made of GOTS certified organic cotton.
The sheets are also safe and comfortable for your baby because they are standard fitted sheets and have a thick smooth knit with high-quality stitching.
Magnolia organics crib sheets are also convenient for use for you and your baby because they are machine-washable in warm water and tumble-dried on low.
Pottery Barn Organic
Pottery Barn Kids Organic crib sheets are safe for your baby because they are OEKO- Tex Certified. Pottery Barn Crib sheets are also fitted, ensuring safety and comfort for your baby.
Buy Pottery Barn kids crib sheets at Pottery Barn Kids from $19.99.
Little Star Organics
Little Star Organics are OEKO-Tex certified, ensuring that they are free from toxins for your baby’s well-being. Little Star Organic crib sheets are also super soft and breathable, making them baby friendly for their delicate skin.
Buy Little Star Organic Crib sheets from Walmart from as low as $19.99.
Pickle & Pumpkin
Pickle & Pumpkin crib sheets are a 100% GOTS certified organic cotton and certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX, ensuring that your baby sleeps on the most organic surface possible.
The Pickle & Pimple crib sheets are also super soft and breathable, providing you with the perfect little space to rest and sleep.
Buy Pickle and Pumpkin crib sheets from pickleandpumpkin from $48.
Touched by Nature
Touched by Nature crib sheets are made following the GOTS Standards that the company hopes to acquire the certification soon.
Touched by Nature crib sheets are soft for baby’s delicate skin and their bottoms are fully elasticized for a secure fitting.
Touched by Nature crib sheets are available on Amazon starting from $10.72.
Makemake organic crib sheets are 100% organic GOTS-certified cotton that is super soft and breathable.
You can buy Makemake organic crib sheets from $29.99
West Elm organic crib sheets are GOTS certified and STANDARD 100 OEKO-TEX-certified, proof that they are safe and non-toxic for your baby.
The West Elm are also fitted sheets, elasticized around the edges to facilitate a snug fit.
Purchase West Elm organic crib sheets at westelm from $29.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Naomi Lambert is a mother of two and an elementary school teacher leading our product quality review here at Motherhood HQ. Naomi has a degree in Elementary Teaching from the University of Utah. She has also worked as a product tester for Consumer Reports. Naomi enjoys reading and getting immersed in new research, especially on topics related to parenting and pets. When she’s not reading or testing baby gear, Naomi enjoys hiking in the midwest and hanging out with her two dog pets. Naomi is originally from Salt Lake City, Utah.
Naomi work leading baby gear/product testing:
To test new gear before we review here at Motherhood HQ, Naomi goes through a multi-step process that includes reading up on the latest research, conducting her own hands-on testing, and evaluating the results. She also consults with experts in the field, such as pediatricians, to get their input. This comprehensive approach ensures that our reviews are accurate and helpful for our readers.
Testing involves using the gear with her own children, as well as observing other parents using the products. Ms. Lambert looks for safety concerns, ease of use, and whether the product actually lives up to its claims. She also takes into account the price of the product and whether it is a good value for what you get.
After testing a product, Naomi writes up her findings in a review. She includes both the positive and negative aspects of the product, as well as her own personal recommendations. Her reviews are honest and unbiased, and they can help you make informed decisions about which products are right for your family.
Aggregating Other real-user reviews from other moms:
A critical process in our reviews is incorporating feedback from other moms who have used the products we are testing. To get this information, we talk to parents in our networks and consult with product-specific experts.These experts must have published work in the field of early childhood development, have worked extensively with the product in question, or have significant experience in the manufacturing or design of the product.
We also read online reviews from other parents, but we take these with a grain of salt. We recognize that many online reviewers are not objective and that some may be biased because they were given the product for free or paid to write a review. For this reason, we only consider online reviews after they have been vetted by our team of experts.
If you are a parent who has used a product that we are interested in reviewing, we would love to hear from you! You can contact us at naomi.lam@motherhood