Are you in the market for a portable breast pump?
You may be confused about which portable pump freezer to pick because there are many of them in the shelves, each promising you convenience in pumping your breast milk for your little one.
First, let’s define a portable breast pump.
A portable breast pump allows a nursing mom to extract their breast milk when away from home and store it cold until they go back home and store it in the freezer for their baby later uses.
Then, we consider what makes the best portable breast pump to help you purchase the one in the market for you.
The best portable breast pump allows you to extract milk away from home fast, easily, quietly, without the risk of contamination, and store it at the right temperature until you get back home.
In this article, we discuss the best portable breast pumps in the market today for your nursing mom when traveling or away from the baby. We will provide a review of the following best portable breast pumps:
- Elvie Pump
- Medela Freestyle Flex
- Willow Wearable Breast Pump
- Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced Breast Pump with Tote
- Philips AVENT Manual Breast Pump
- Medela New Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- Bella baby
- Mom Cozy
- Motif Portable Double Electric Breast Pump
- Baby Buddha
- Spectra S1 Plus
- Lansinoh Manual
- Motif Duo Double Electric Breast Pump
- Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump
- Evenflo Feeding Deluxe Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump
- Evenflo Feeding Advanced Single-Electric Breast Pump
We will first discuss the features and benefits of portable breast pumps and factors to consider when choosing the best portable breast pump for you.
Features of a Portable Breast Pump
According to the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), all breast milks (portable breast pumps included) must have:
- Breast Shield, which is a cone-shaped cup that covers the nipple and areola.
- Pump that attaches to the breast shield or a plastic tubing to create a gentle vacuum that expresses milk.
- Milk Container, a detachable container that fits below the breast shield to collect milk as it pumps.
Additionally, portable breast pumps have specific features, including:
- Wearability. Portable breast pumps fit in a pocket, can clip to your pants, wear around your neck, or can wear in your nursing bra.
- Rechargeability. Portable breast pumps have rechargeable batteries or plugins or ensure functionality on the go.
- Size and Weight. The best portable pumps are compact and lightweight for easy transport.
- Bag and cooler. Portable pumps come with a bag and cool to keep the pumped breast milk cold and store the pump and bottles.
Benefits of Portable Breast Pumps
- Portable breast pumps allow you to pump even when away from home.
- They enhance your mobility as a nursing mother.
- Portable breast pumps facilitate multitasking, primarily wearable ones.
- Portable breast pumps allow you to improve your nursing experience; those with smart technology such as the Elvie and Willow have apps for iPhones and Androids that enable you to assess your pumping length, track your milk supply daily, adjust suction levels, and switch between stimulation and expression modes.
Factors to consider when picking the best portable breast pump
The expected benefits of a portable breast pump should inform you about the factors that you should consider when choosing the best portable breast pump for you.
Here are the key factors you must check when buying a portable breast pump.
- Weight. The breast pump should be light enough for you to carry it around easily.
- Size. A good portable breast pump should be compact enough to fit in your bag and wear on your body.
- Suction Strength. An effective portable breast pump should pump as high as 320 mmHg.
- Rechargeable Battery. A portable breast pump with built-in battery is better than that with AA batteries because you can recharge it anywhere and avoid disrupting your pumping schedule.
- Noise/Sound. A quiet portable breast pump is ideal because you can pump at work or in public spaces without the worry of disrupting others.
- Closed System vs. Open System. A portable breast pump with a closed system is better than one with an open system because it is more hygienic because it prevents milk from backflowing to the tubings.
- Available Pump Parts. Go for portable breast pumps whose parts are easily available to avoid purchasing a whole breast pump when you misplace a part or it malfunctions.
- Bag and Cooler. Choose a portable breast pump that comes with its totes and bags for easy transport or one that fits in a standard diaper bag when traveling with your baby.
- Cleaning. Choose a portable breast pump whose parts are easy to clean (dis-assembling and reassembling) to prevent virus and bacteria breeding.
- Ease of Use. A breast pump that is easy to use is the best portable breast pump.
- Warranty. Choose a portable breast pump that has a long warranty to protect yourself from pump parts losses and motor damage.
Comparison Of our Best Portable Breast Pumps 2022
|Name & image||Features||Best for?||Check Price|
|Spectra S1 Plus||-Lightweight weighing 3 lbs-Compact with a back compartment that fits the Spectra bottle-Ultra quiet-Gentle night light||Best Double Electric||Check Price|
|BellaBaby Double Electric Pump||-Rechargeable battery-Customizable pumping-Backflow Protection-10 storage bags||Best for working momBest Value||Check Price|
|Medela Freestyle Flex||LightweightCompact DesignUSB-Chargeable BatteryQuick ExpressionCarrier BagCooler Bag||Best for travel||Check Price|
|Willow 3.0||-360 degrees Patented Proof-Leak Mobility-5-sessions Rechargeable Battery-Spill-proof, self-sealing storage bags||Best Wearable||Check Price|
|Lansinoh||-Lightweight-Compact-Strong suction-Rechargeable Battery-Cooler Bag-Carrier Bag||Best for Low Milk Supply||Check Price|
-360 degrees patented proof-leak mobility-Spill-proof, self-sealing storage bags
|Best handsfree||Check Price|
|Motif Duo Double Electric||Rechargeable BatteryBackflowTechnologyBacklit LCD ScreenLightweightCompactUltraquiet||Best affordable||Check Price|
|Haakaa Silicone||CompactLightweightSilent Expression Technology||Best Natural Suction||Check Price|
|The Elvie Pump||Ultra-quietLightweightCompactWearableHas no tubes or wires||Best quiet||Check Price|
|Motif Medical Luna Double Electric||-Lightweight-Hospital-grade suction-Backflow Protection-Ultra-QuietBuilt-in Light||Best for Faster Milk Expression||Check Price|
|Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump||Built-in Tote Bag2-Phase ExpressionPortable and Rechargeable batteryIce packCooler Bag||Best for large breasts and twins||Check Price|
|Medela New Harmony||SmallLightweightDiscreetPersonalFit Flex Breast Shield||Best Manual Pump||Check Price|
|Philips AVENT Manual||CompactLightweightNatural Motion Technology||Best Pump and Bottle Combo||Check Price|
Below are the reviews of the best portable Breast Pumps
#1. Elvie Pump
Here is an Elvie video that explains the different features of the Elvie pump.
Elvie Pump is the world’s first silent wearable, portable breast pump.
Elvie Pump is an ultra-quiet, wearable electric breast pump that has no tubes, wires, and fits in your nursing bra, making it one of the best portable breast pumps for mums on the go or traveling.
Besides, its compact size and lightweight of 14.8 ounces for the double Elvie Pump stamps it as leading portable breast pump.
The Elvie Pump Fits in your Nursing Bra for Discreet and Hassle-free Pumping
Available as a single or double breast pump, the Elvie pump makes breast pumping almost seamless because you simply monitor the milk volume and track your pumping journey from your phone.
The single Elvie breast pump comes with 1 Hub (pumping mechanism), 2 bottles (150 ml), 2 breast shields of (one of 24mm and the other one of 28mm), 2 valves, 2 spouts, 2 seals, 2 storage lids, 2 bra adjusters, 1 USB charging cable, 1 carry bag, and a manual.
The Single Elvie Pump Components
The double Elvie Pump, on the other hand, comes with double the parts except for the instructions manual that remains one.
The Double Elvie Pump Components
Below are the Pros and Cons of the Elvie Pump
- The Elvie pump is an all-in-one design without external cords and tubes, making it hands-free.
- The Elvie pump is reusable because its bottles of 150 ml capacity are also fridge and freezer safe.
- The pump is rechargeable and offers you upto 2.5 hours of pumping depending on your settings when fully charged.
- The Elvie pump is quick to pump because it switches automatically from stimulation to expression mode when it detects let-down and pauses when the bottle is full.
- The Elvie pump is silent, allowing you to pump discreetly anywhere and anytime.
- The Elvie pump is wearable, enhancing your mobility and multitasking when pumping.
- It has a two year warranty
- The Elvie Pump allows personalized pumping because you can choose between 2 modes and 14-intensity settings.
- You can use the pump for either single or double pumping, ensuring that each pump has a particular breast for accurate tracking.
- The Elvie pump is a smart device, allowing you to explore the pumping insights on the phone app.
- The pump offers a comfortable pumping experience for you because of its breast shields.
- The Elvie Pump is safe and hygienic because it uses a closed system, its dishwasher friendly, and its BPA free.
- The pump has a two year warranty for the Hub and a 90-day warranty for the washable components.
- It is one of the most expensive portable breast pumps in the market.
- Some users have expressed that the breastshields keep warping.
#2. Medela Freestyle Flex Double Electric Breast Pump
This video here explains how to use the Medela Flex ™ electric double breast pump.
Its minimal weight, compact design, and USB-chargeable battery makes the Freestyle Flex™ one of the best portable breast pumps for mums on the go.
Medela Freestyle Flex™ Components
The Medela Freestyle Flex™ breast pump weighs only 4.41 lbs and measures 13.39 x 7.09 x 9.45 inches, facilitating its portability.
The breast pump easily fits in your palm, pocket, or handbag, making it super easy for you to carry it everywhere you go and pump at your convenience.
Pros and Cons of Medela Freestyle Flex™
- The breast pump is compact and light, enhancing its portability.
- The breast pump has an in-built rechargeable battery, allowing you to express anywhere.
- You charge the Medela Flex ™ on the go because it has a USB port.
- The breast pump allows you to track your pumping progress because it connects to the Medela Family app.
- The breast pump uses the Medela PersonalFit Flex™ Breast shield that ensures your comfort and increases milk flow.
- It uses a closed system, preventing breast milk from entering the tube.
- The breast pump facilitates quick expression because its double pumping collects 18% more milk on average compared to single pumping. Its 2-phase expression that mimics a baby’s sucking rhythm also fastens pumping.
- It has an intuitive interface with a digital control panel that allows you to start and pause milk extraction, switch expression mode, and adjust vacuum levels.
- The electric breast pump comes with a carry bag and a cooler bag to keep your milk fresh when away from home.
- You will have to buy the Easy Expression bustier separately if you want hand-free pumping with the Medela Freestyle Flex™ electric breast pump.
- It is more costly compared to other similar breast pumps.
#3. Willow 3.0 Wearable Breast Pump
The Willow 3.0 is a wearable, double electric breast pump with a hospital grade suction and a 360 degrees, patented leak-proof mobility that allows you to pump in any direction, enhancing its portability.
The 360 degrees mobility of the Willow 3.0 means that you can pump breast milk when lying down, bending, putting your baby to sleep on their crib, carrying your little one, walking, standing, or working on a desk.
Willow 3.0 Wearable Breast Pump Allows you to Pump in Any Position
The Willow 3.0 wearable breast is also among the best portable breast pumps because it has a rechargeable battery that lasts for 5 sessions when on full charge, allowing you to express milk through an entire day.
Besides, the Willow 3.0 wearable, double electric breast pump expresses fast because of its smart sensors that detect let down and switches the pump form stimulation to expression automatically, a key function of a portable breast pump.
Finally, the Willow 3.0 breast pump is one of the best portable breast pumps because it allows you to pump into spill-proof, self-sealing bags, an essential feature for moms on the go because it prevents spills when multitasking.
Pros and Cons of the Willow 3.0 Wearable Breast Pump
- The breast pump is light and compact enough for portability.
- It is easy to clean the Willow 3.0 breast pump because you only clean parts.
- It is quick because its Smart Sensors enable automatic switching from stimulation to expression.
- The breast pump’s battery lasts for five sessions when fully charged, which is sufficient for a mom on the go before recharging it.
- It facilitates multitasking because it is a hands-free breast pump.
- The breast pump offers leak-proof pumping because its Flextube creates a continuous latch.
- The breast pump provides a personalized pumping experience because of its smart-suction technology adjusts based on your suction preferences.
- The pump allows you to either express into reusable containers or spill-proof, self-sealing bags.
- The recommended age for use is after 12 months of breastfeeding.
- The breast pump is more costly than similar breast pumps.
- The breast pump’s reusable bottles are sold separately.
#4. Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced with On the Go Tote Double Electric Breast Pump
The Medela Pump in Style Advanced with On the Go Tote is a double electric breast pump by Medela, the number 1 Physician Recommended Breast Pump Product in the U.S.
The double electric breast pump is one of the most prized, best portable breast pumps because of its built-in to its discreet tote bag for convenient transport wherever and whenever and its portable back that allows you to recharge the pump when necessary.
The Pump in Style’s research-based 2-Phase Expression technology also underscores the pump’s rank as a best portable breast pump because of its efficient expression and optimized flow.
Finally, the On the Go Tote pump comes with a portable battery pack, power adapter, contoured ice pack, and removable cooler bag, enhancing its position as one of the best portable breastfeeding pumps.
Pump In Style Advanced Double Electric Breast Pumps Pros and Cons
- The pump has a 2-Phase Expression technology that facilitates quick and efficient expression.
- The pump provides a customized pumping experience for each mom through its adjustable speed/vacuum control that allows them choose their most comfortable pum[ settings.
- It is easy to carry it wherever you go because it comes with a tote bags that accommodates the pump, the bottles, the tubing, the cooker bad, contoured ice pack, the breast shields, the breast shield connectors, valves, membranes, and other portable breast pump essentials.
- It is more expensive compared to other portable breast pumps.
- You have to buy extra large breast shields separately, yet it prides in being the best for large breasts.
#5. Medela New Harmony Manual Breast Pump
The Medela New Harmony is a single manual breast pump that is the best portable pump for nursing moms who are away from their baby briefly.
The Medela Manual Breast pump is portable because it is small, lightweight, and discreet for easy transport and discreet pumping whenever you are.
Medela New Harmony is Compact Enough to Fit in Your Handbag
Additionally, the Medela Manual breast pump has a PersonalFit Flex Breast shield that increases the rate of milk expression.
This short video here explains the features and functions of the portable Medela New Harmony manual breast pump.
Pros and Cons of the Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- The breast pump is simple to use because of its intuitive and ergonomic design.
- The Harmony manual breast pump prevents spills because the bottle stand secures the pump and bottle greatly.
- It is easy to assemble and disassemble the breast pump.
- The breast pump is comfortable for you because it mimics your baby’s natural suckling rhythm through its 2-Phase Expression technology.
- The pump comes with safe and dry disposable nursing pads to prevent breast milk leaks on your clothes before and after expressing milk.
- The Medela New Harmony manual breast pump is only convenient for limited pumping.
- It is the most expensive compared to similar pumps.
- It is hand-held, limiting mobility and multitasking when pumping.
#6. Philips AVENT Manual Breast Pump
Philips AVENT Manual breast pump is among the best portable breast pumps because of its compact and lightweight design that allows you to carry it wherever you go and makes it easy for you to hold and position the pump on your breast comfortably.
The pump’s Natural Motion Technology also enhances its portability for mums on the go or traveling because its suction and nipple stimulation enables quick milk flow.
Pros and Cons of Philips AVENT Manual Pump
- The breast pump is compact and light, enhancing its portability.
- The manual pump is quick milk of its Natural Motion technology that increases milk flow.
- The pump allows for an upright pumping position because of its no-lean forward design.
- It is easy to assemble and use because of its few parts.
- It is affordable
- It has limited mobility when expressing because it is hand-held.
- It does not come with a carrier bag.
#7. BellaBaby Double Electric Breast Pump
BellaBaby Double Electric breast pump is one of the best portable pumps because of its lightweight and built-in 2200mAh Li-ion battery.
BellaBaby’s closed system, 2 pieces of milk bag adapters, 10 storages, and its sensitive touch panel stamp its authority as one of the best portable breast pumps.
The closed system prevents milk spills during pumping, the 4 modes and 9 levels of suction allow you to control the pumping experience when on the go, and the sensitive touch panel increases the ease and convenience of pumping when on the go because you only click by one finger to operate.
Pros and Cons of the BellaBaby Breast Pump
- It is one of the most affordable double electric, portable breast pumps
- It is light and compact to carry when on the go or traveling.
- It is easy to use because of its one-finger click on the sensitive touch panel.
- It has a rechargeable battery with a 3-hour life.
- It has a closed system, preventing spillage.
- It allows direct pump to storage bags.
- It has a strong suction
- The pump’s strong suction might be too strong for some nursing moms.
#8. Momcozy Double Electric Wearable Breast Pump, S9
The Momcozy Double Electric Wearable Breast Pump in Pink
The Momcozy double electric wearable breast pump is one of the best portable breast pumps because of its small size and light weight to carry on your handbag easily.
The S9 is also among the best portable breast pumps because it is tube-free, wearable, and has a USB charging port that allows you to charge conveniently from a power bank, computer, car USB, adapter, and other USB- supported devices.
Here is a video review of the Momcozy Wearable breast pump.
Pros and Cons of the Momcozy S9
- It is super light and compact for travel
- It super quiet, allowing you to pump discreetly and without disrupting those nearby
- The breast pump allows you to recharge it from any USB interface, enabling you to express milk anywhere and whenever.
- The breast pump matches your busy life because its massage and suction modes stimulate milk flow.
- It is quite affordable for a double electric breast pump
- It comes in pink, green, and gray to suit your traveling style.
- It is easy to use because of its minimal parts and its intelligent feature that shows you the battery indicator, suction mode, level up, level down, and gear indicator.
- Momcozy’s 70-minute battery life is short, creating an inconvenience with the constant need to recharge when pumping through a day.
#9. Evenflo Feeding Deluxe Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump
The Evenflo Deluxe Advanced Double Electric breast pump is among the best portable breast pumps in the market because of its lightweight, rechargeable battery from multiple power sources, noise cancellation features, and comes with a cooler bag and carrier bag.
The pump’s closed system style also increases its portability because it prevents milk back up in the tubing and motor to keep the pump functioning properly.
Pros and Cons
- It has a closed system
- It is lightweight, weighing 1.05 lbs only
- It comes with a cooler bag to keep the expressed milk fresh
- It comes with a carrier bag for convenient portability
- The pump is hands free because it is compatible with most pumping bras and Freemie Cups
- It is handheld unless used with a nursing bar that you will buy at an extra cost.
- It does not have a very strong suction.
#10. Evenflo Feeding Advanced Single-Electric Breast Pump
The Evenflo Feeding Advanced Single Electric breast pump is one of the best portable breast pumps because of its lightweight and compact design and its 3AAA rechargeable battery that lasts for three hours when fully charged.
The pump’s closed system also enhances its portability because the design prevents milk from going back to the pump motor, maintaining its proper functioning.
Besides, it is easy to use by easily adjusting the pump’s suction and turning the pump on and off in one when underscores its portability for mums on the go.
This YouTube video here shows how to use the Evenflo feeding advanced single electric breast pump.
Pros and Cons
- It is is lightweight and compact
- You can charge the breast pump anywhere because of its multiple power options.
- It is easy to assemble
- It is affordable
- Its single-electric suction is not as strong as others in the market
- Its AA Batteries are sold separately.
- It has a limited warranty of 90 days.
#11. Spectra S1 Plus Double Electric Breast Pump
The Spectra S1 Plus is a premier single and double electric breast pump that is lightweight, quiet, and has a rechargeable battery with 3-hour life, making it one of the best portable breast pumps for moms on the go or traveling.
The S1 Plus weighs only 3 lbs, allowing you to transport it wherever you go.
The pump also has a back compartment that fits a Spectra bottle, increasing its compactibility and portability.
This video here discussed the different features of the Spectra S1 Plus breast pump.
S1 Plus is Compact Enough to Fit in your Handbag.
Besides, the pump allows you to pump milk discreetly because of its ultra-quiet motor of 45 decibels.
Additionally, S1 Plus’ massage mode improves your breast expression milk journey because it mimics the natural suckling of a baby.
Also, the single and double electric pump has a gentle night light that enables you to express milk even at night without putting the lights on.
Pros and Cons of the S1 Plus
- It is lightweight and compact for easy transportation
- It has both single and double pumping capacities
- The SI Plus is ultra quiet, enabling you to pump discreetly
- The pump has a gentle night light that allows you to pump anytime and anywhere.
- It mimics the natural suckling of your baby, increasing milk flow.
- It has a very efficient hospital-strength suction
- It is covered by most insurance companies
- It has short tubings
#12. Spectra S9 Double Electric Breast Pump
The Spectra S9 is small, lightweight, rechargeable, and discreet, making it one of the best portable breast pumps available.
Weighing 5 lbs only, the S9’s massage mode, ultra-quiet model of 45 decibels, backflow protector, and adjustable suction levels feature stamps the single and double enabled electric breast pump as one the premier portable pumps in the market.
This video here by Spectra Baby Australia provides a detailed discussion of the Spectra S9 Plus features and functions.
Pros and Cons
- The breast pump is lightweight and compact
- It has a rechargeable battery
- It is more gentle on your breasts than other electric pumps
- It is ultra quiet
- It prevents milk infection through its backflow system.
- Its suction is as not as strong as other portable, electric breast pumps
#13. Motif Portable Double Electric Breast Pump
The Motif Duo breast pump is one of the best portable breast pumps because it is lightweight, superquiet, and has a rechargeable battery with 2.5 hours life, allowing you to carry and use it wherever you are.
Additionally, the pump’s backflow protection and backlit LCD screen enhances its portability for moms on the go or during travel by limiting milk contamination and pumping even in the dark, respectively.
Here is a video by Motif Medical that explains how to use the Motif Duo breast pump.
Pros and Cons
- It is lightweight and compact
- It is quiet
- It has a good battery life
- It has a backlight for nighttime pumping
- It is difficult to use because it has many parts to use
- Its suction strength weakens as the battery charge lowers
#14. Motif Medical Luna Double Electric Pump
Another best portable breast pump is the Motif Medical Luna double electric pump.
The Motif Medical Luna pump is lightweight, has a hospital-grade suction for quicker expression, has backflow protection, has a built-in light for pumping at night, and is ultra-quiet for discreet pumping.
Additionally, the breast pump has a battery-powered option with a rechargeable battery that lasts over 2 hours, allowing you to pump on the go.
Pros and Cons
- Has a hospital-grade suction for quick pumping
- It is lightweight, weighing only 2 lbs
- It is quiet, enabling a discreet pumping experience
- its backlight allows you to pump in the dark
- It prevents milk contamination because of its closed system that provides backflow protection.
- You will have to buy the cooler bag separately.
#15. Baby Buddha
BabyBuddha is one of the best portable breast pumps because it is lightweight and small, such that you can hang it around your neck using the included lanyard.
The BabyBuddha double electric pump is also extra quiet, allowing you to express discreetly without drawing unneccessary attention when out in public.
Budda is wearable, increasing its portability
Additionally, the pump is wearable and has a closed system, ensuring that your breast milk does not flowback and risk contamination, a constant worry for nursing moms on the go.
Pros and Cons
- It is lightweight and compact
- It has a strong suction
- Has a rechargeable battery, allowing you to pump on the go.
- The pump’s wearability enhances mobility.
- The suction might be too strong for some some moms
#16. Lansinoh DoublDouble Electric Smart Pump 2.0
The Lansinoh Double Electric Smart Pump is one of the best portable breast pumps because of its lightweight, smallness, strong suction, cooler, icepack, and carrier bag facilitates its transport and use when on the go.
The breast pump weighs 1 lb and measures 11 x 9.75 x 7.75 inches.
Also, the Lansinoh Double Electric Smart Pump is very quiet, increasings its usability when on the go when you do not want to draw attention from those around.
The pump’s use of rechargeable batteries also enhances its portability because you can pump even in areas without access to electricity.
Pros and Cons
- The pump has a hospital grade suction for quicker expression
- The pump is light and compact
- Its comes with a cooler and ice pack to to keep the expressed milk fresh
- It comes with a tote bag for easy transport
- It is very affordable for a double electric, portable, and smart breast pump
- The pump’s strong suction is too strong for some moms.
#17. Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump
The Haakaa Silicone breast pump is an award-winning pump that ranks as one of the best portable breast pumps because of small size, lightweight, and silent expression technology.
Pros and Cons
- It does not require charge or batteries
- It is compact and lightweight
- It is affordable
- It is unsuitable for full-time pumping needs.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhood HQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at email@example.com.