In our baby-wearing group, we spent a good amount of time a few weeks ago discussing the best rugs for babies. Our small group of 16 mothers had different ideas about different colors, and fabric materials ranging from wool, cotton, nylon, acrylic, jute to polyester suitable for a baby room.
Of all the fabrics indicated, we found wool and cotton fabric to be very expensive and are mostly replaced with Polypropylene, a material closer to polythene than cotton (but super soft). In fact, a spot check at the current best-selling brands uncovered that they are mostly made of this thermoplastic polymer. We couldn’t agree on which one between cotton and polypropylene is softer.
Discussing these details along with other key topics about safe materials for crawling babies gave me and my team a good starting point for this research.
One thing we did agree on and think I should mention here is the color you decide to pick. While the sizes of baby rugs for the baby’s rooms may vary, the color of the rug will determine the theme of your baby’s nursery. Babies are color-sensitive, they just like colorful material. Whether you have a boy or a girl, a colorful color would do. Yes. Even the pink rug would be great for your baby’s room. If you are however stuck with going with gender-based colors such as blue for boys, go for it. I personally prefer grey or white rugs but any color may not be too bad.
Regarding the design of the rug, your baby may not see much of this especially if your baby is still an infant. You can basically be as creative as you want. Do you want an elephant design? You’ve got it.
The one shown alongside was on offer for about $36 and you just might make your baby smile more.
Another big consideration that you should watch out for is the sensitivity of your baby’s skin to different fabrics. A rug can burn a baby’s face, baby’s knees, or even stomach and you may end up seeking treatment for rug burns as they can be considered first-degree burns. You should be aware of your baby’s sensitivity and always go for a non-toxic area rug for the baby. While it may be exciting and possibly great to get a foam rug, sheepskin rug, or fur rug, make sure your baby’s skin will not get burned by these external, potentially toxic materials.
We have spent over 20 hours comparing the finer details of the rugs that made to our top 5 and before we review them, let’s summarize what’s we found. The best rug for your baby will vary depending on the sensitivity of your baby’s skin. However, it is important to note that regardless of the fabric, a soft fabric made from organic material is the best.
How to choose a baby room rug and what we used to rank rugs for nurseries.
- The softness of the fabric used to make the material. You may also want to consider the type of knee pads your baby will use on the rugs.
- The reaction babies have to the material used to make the rug – You should stay away from those that made from materials babies are allergic to
- The ease of cleaning: Before buying ask yourself how easy it would be to clean it
- Safety: Make sure the rug you are buying does not pose any safety risk to your baby such easy-to-fall material.
List of 10 Top Rug Brands for Baby to Crawl on:
Below is a list of our top 6 rugs your baby can use to crawl:
- 1. ACTCUT Area Rug
- 2. Ottomanson Soft Cozy Color Solid Shag Area Rug
- 3. PAGISOFE Soft Girls Room Rug Baby Nursery
- 4. BlueSnail Super Ultra Soft Modern Shag Area Rugs, 4′ x 5′
- 5. Cozy Shag Collection Shag Rug Contemporary
- 6. Sheepskin Rug for Babies from Woolino
- 7. Teytoy Baby Rug for Crawling
- 8. Gorilla Grip Original Faux-Chinchilla Area Rug
- 9. Round ABC Kids Carpet Children Educational and Learn Fun Rug
- 10. Children Play Mat, V-mix Handmade Weaving Plush Foam Play Crawling Rugs for Baby
Our best baby rug deal is Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK272A that’s is currently on sale for 67% off its usual price. Check out the deal on Amazon here.
Reviews of the 10 Top-rated Rugs for Baby to Crawl (4.6+/5)
Actut area rag took our crown as the overall softest rug for your baby to crawl in 2022. With a 4.5-inch thickness, you can rely on it to give your baby the greatest comfort, all-day long.
The material is very cheap and will cost you less than $20 and is made of synthetic material that is very easy to clean. In November 2019, over 2,400 parents have rated it 4/5 and is currently the second best-selling rug on Amazon (under Nursery Rugs category). It is second to PAGISOFE Ultra, which is currently the best-selling baby rug for crawling babies on Amazon.
Actut baby rug for crawling comes in three sizes. The three options all have a length of 5 ft. and widths of 2.5ft, 2.6ft, and 4ft. If you are purchasing this to cover a wider area in the nursery, the 4ft by 5ft option (the biggest would be best).
It is made of synthetic material and although the material is not made of cotton or wool, it is very breathable and several parents have attested this
- The rug can be washed using a machine but it is not advisable to dry it using a machine. You should leave out, perhaps in the sun to dry and it can take a few hours to fully dry.
- This rug can be installed on any floor, tiled floors or wooden floors and you can rely on it to be firmly in place without using any stick-glue)
- It weighs 1.8 pounds
- It is advisable to use a hose tool instead of a vacuum if you prefer not to use the washing machine.
- 4.5 cm thick, soft and comfortable.
- While this rug is meant for your baby to enjoy the soft fabric and roll around, you should note that it can be used to decorate your floor and for your toddlers to play or even do yoga.
Ottomanson Soft Cozy Color Solid Shag Area Rug emerged as the 2nd best rug for your baby to crawl on in this 2022 list.
- 100% Polypropylene
- Resistant to fade, stain or wear.
- It is a simple yet sophisticated trendy look that’ll easily blend with any home decor
- It creates a cozy look and enhances the appearance of your room at all times.
- Measures 79 x 111 x 1.2 inches
- Thick pile design and soft material.
PAGISOFE Soft Girls Room Rug Baby Nursery was selected as the 3rd best rug for your baby to crawl on in this 2022 list.
- It has a Super Soft Feeling
- The rug is approximately 4 centimeters in height
- It measures 5.3 x 4 feet wide
- It has velvet surface and the plush is approx 3cm high
- It has skid-resistant rubber bottom
- It has easy-to-clean quality
- It has a beautiful color and nine great colors to choose from.
BlueSnail Super Ultra Soft Modern Shag Area Rugs was the 4th best rug for your baby to crawl on.
- Made from a synthetic material
- It has a plush blanket-like texture that is soft to touch and also looks very soft.
- The fibers bounce back when there’s an absence of pressure.
- It comes with a lot of colors to choose from; grass green, grayish purple, silver gray, white, beige, pink, purple, apple green, and coffee.
- It measures 4 x 5.3 feet
- It is a rectangular rug and you can place several rugs side by side for a bigger room coverage.
- It is light and very portable to anywhere you would desire to place it.
- It has a skid-proof feature and that makes it relatively stable.
- You can use a soft brush or a vacuum cleaner to clean it. If washed, please do not exceed 85F, and add softener to deal with.
Cozy Shag Collection Shag Rug Contemporary was our 5th best rug for your baby to crawl on. You should, however, note that as of this update in Jan 2022, this rug is currently not available for sale in Amazon. Check the link alongside though. Perhaps, it will be available by the time you’re reading this.
- It has a beautiful design and texture.
- It has very beautiful colors to choose from such as elegant gray and attractive turquoise.
- It has a slow shedding rate because the material makes it very durable.
- It has a high resistance against stains and spots
- It is very soft to touch and hence your baby will enjoy crawling and playing on this rug.
This sheepskin from Woolino has got to be the best rag for your little one; it is so luxurious! It is made from 100% Australian lambskins, known for being dense and silky smooth. Also, it is safely processed and tested for 100 harmful substances, with Oeko Tex certification and also approved for highest Class 1 infant use.
Again, this rag is super soft and soothing for your baby, so it is suitable to use as a play mat or liner in the crib and bassinet. Some reviewers have also used it as cushioning for their loved ones who are bedridden or in a wheelchair.
The rug also requires minimal maintenance; the manufacturer recommends only occasional washing if it’s really dirty, but otherwise, brushing and spot cleaning from time to time is sufficient.
- Measures 2 x 3ft
- Made from 100% natural, hypoallergenic, Australian merino wool
- Two-color options: Flax, Ivory
- Flame resistant and static resistant
- Machine washable and dry cleaner friendly
- OekoTex certified
- Premium quality and durable
- Easy care; needs only spot cleaning and occasional washing
- Luxuriously soft and plush
- Can be used as a liner for naptime, playtime, and for loved ones who are bedridden or in a wheelchair.
- Takes some time to flatten out and lose the creases
Teytoy Baby Rug is a rectangular mat that provides your baby with a large safe space to crawl and play. This rug is also a learning tool for your baby to start learning about things, people, and the environment in general. It is imprinted with tons of fun pictures of cute animals, fruits, numbers, facial expressions, and more in vibrant colors that will get your baby excited.
This rug is made from cotton material that feels soft and fluffy. It is basically weightless and foldable, making it perfect to take along when visiting grandpas, playdates, etc. The bottom has anti-slip rubber material that keeps the rug firmly on the floor.
The cotton material is waterproof and stain-resistant so that it only needs a simple wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of any spills and then dry it in the sun. You can also vacuum it and wash it for thorough cleaning.
- Non-toxic cotton material
- Measures 3.4 x 5ft
- Features educational theme with pictures
- Anti-slip bottom
- Colorful and attractive
- Super soft cotton
- Great tool for learning and playing
- Lays completely flat, even after folding
- Stain and water-resistant
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Non-slip bottom
- Reviewers complain it is too thin
This rug features thick, plush fibers that will feel so comfortable for your baby to sit, crawl and lie on. The top layer is made from faux chinchilla that makes it warm and soft. The middle has a foam layer to boost the cushiness. And the bottom has tiny grip dots to keep the rug from sliding around.
This is a great option if you are looking for a rug that will blend with the rest of your décor. It has a variation of twenty-one different solid colors and nine different sizes to fit any space you may have.
This is also the easiest to care for; you can vacuum or toss it into the machine with mild detergent.
- 21 color options
- 9 different sizes options
- Anti-slip dots
- Soft and fluffy
- Awesome grip even with heavy traffic
- You have many colors and sizes to choose from
- Colors blend well with the rest of home décor or nursery
- Great pricing
- It is a bit thin
- Reviewers complain that the fibers lie flat after just a few weeks
The Round ABC carpet is a fine rug that will stand out in your baby’s room. It comes in five different solid colors and two sizes to choose from.
Made from 100% premium cotton, the rug is plush and super soft providing a safe and comfortable place for your baby to learn to crawl and play from. The workmanship on this rag is something to be admired. The edges are exquisitely woven and all 26 alphabetic letters are handcrafted all around the edge, which adds a nice touch and also gives your child something to learn about.
To clean this rug, the manufacturer recommends hand washing but you can also remove most of the dirt by vacuuming. The rug is also foldable for easier storage.
- Color options: Blue, Grey, Pink, Teal, Yellow
- Sizes: Round 47 inches & 59 inches
- Material 100% cotton
- Anti-slip bottom
- Different colors to choose from
- Has alphabetic to inspire early learning
- High-quality materials and weaving
- It is not thick
- It creases
Children’s Play Mat V is a large and thick mat that you can use not just for your baby to crawl on but also as an exercise mat or yoga. Some reviewers have even used it as an area rug and are very impressed about how it holds up even in places with high traffic.
It comes in numerous solid colors and different sizes to choose from. Even better, the manufacturer gives you an option to have them customize one for you that is the specific size and shape that you desire.
The top of this rug is made from soft, velvet microfiber material. The middle has a soft sponge filler for cushioning and a non-slip bottom. It is also reversible to a white decorated surface in case you are bored of one side. Just keep in mind that the underside is textured so your baby will have lots of tiny things picked at.
This is also one of the easiest rags to maintain. You can spot clean in case of small spills, machine wash or hand wash for more thorough cleaning.
You also need to know that the company gives you a thirty days warranty to have a full refund or replacement if you have any problems with the rug, which is quite reassuring of just how high quality the mat is.
- 7 different colors
- 10 different sizes
- Customizable to your liking
- 30 days warranty
- Hypoallergenic and non-toxic materials
- Retains color and doesn’t shrink after washing
- High quality and durable
- Doesn’t crease and lays flat
- Easiest care can be spot cleaned, vacuumed, or machine washed
- Doesn’t slide around at all
- It is not as thick as you would expect, but still cushy
- Reviewers remarked that larger custom rugs are pieced together instead of being one piece
Things to Consider Before You Buy Rugs for Crawling Babies
Some of the things that you should consider when you want to buy the baby rug in order to ensure that your baby is safe to crawl on include;
- Ensure that the material used to make the rug are non-toxic and safe. You do this by making sure that they are materials with low levels of volatile organic compounds (VOC).
- You should make sure that you choose soft, plush and comfortable rugs for the protect the baby’s fragile body parts when they are crawling.
- Ensure you choose rugs that are easy to clean and vacuum. Rugs that have a high resistance to stains and spots because mostly babies can be quite messy when playing.
- Choose materials that are durable even after been used for a long time.
- Check for the size and style that best blends in with your home decor.
The material of the rug is important for two reasons: comfort and safety. You’ll want to choose a material that is soft and plush, so it’s gentle on your baby’s knees. And, you’ll also want to make sure it’s made from non-toxic materials in case your baby puts it in their mouth.
You’ll want to choose a rug that is large enough to cover the entire area where your baby will be crawling. This way, they’ll have a soft, comfortable place to land no matter where they end up.
3. Color and Pattern
The color and pattern of the rug can be important for two reasons. First, you’ll want to choose a color that goes well with your existing home decor. Second, you’ll want to choose a pattern that is interesting for your baby, so they’ll be motivated to crawl around on it.
This is the most important safety factor. Make sure to check the label and only buy rugs that are certified non-toxic. If your baby is prone to allergies, you’ll also want to make sure the rug is hypoallergenic.
5. Easy to clean:
Babies are messy! So, you’ll want to choose a rug that is easy to clean. Look for rugs that can be machine washed and dried, so you can keep them looking like new.
6. Machine washable:
Since your rug will be spending a lot of time on the floor, it’s bound to get dirty. Choose a rug that is machine washable so you can easily keep it clean.
Important Tips when using baby rugs
- You should first air the rug before installing it in any part of your home, especially in your baby’s room or nursery.
- Make sure you open all the windows after the rug is installed in the baby’s room or any room i.e off-gassing. .
- Dig your fingers into the rug in order to test its durability. If it is difficult for your fingers to reach the rug’s bottom, then it has higher quality hence it is more durable.
- Never machine wash rugs unless the manufacturer states it.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Hi there! I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhoodhq.com. I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at email@example.com.