About Ergobaby 360 Omni
When it comes to baby carriers, Ergobaby stands as one of the most top-rated brands. Since they first introduced their first carrier Ergobaby Original in 2003, parents have fallen in love with their carriers, with evidence of top ratings on all major retailers’ websites. Over the years, Ergobaby has been listening to parents and has come up with improved versions adapted to meet the needs of the parents and babies.
The Ergobaby Omni 360 is one of the best baby carriers available today. It is comfortable, flexible, adjustable, and will grow with your baby from birth to toddler, giving you great value for money. And like all other Ergobaby carriers, it is modern and stylish, with lots of color options to choose from.
Ergobaby Omni was introduced in February 2018, and since then has received plenty of rave reviews across various retailers and has 4.7 out of 5 stars by over 3000 customers on Amazon.
Ergobaby Omni 360 All-Position Baby Carrier for Newborn to Toddler with Lumbar Support (7-45 Pounds), Natural
- One carrier that does it all: Grows with baby from newborn to toddler (0-48 months; 7-45lbs)
- All carry positions: Inward, front outward, hip & back carry
- 100% premium cotton: Soft and cozy for the ultimate in comfort
- Comfort: Padded lumbar back support and extra padded shoulder straps: Can be used in two ways, regular or crossed shoulder straps
- Premium features: Large removable storage pouch: UPF baby hood for sun protection and privacy for easy breastfeeding: Machine washable.
- Suitable from birth to toddler (7-45lbs / 3.2-20kgs) without requiring an infant insert
- Supports all four carrying positions: front facing in, front facing out, hip, back
- Weighs 1.12 pounds, making it one of the lightest carriers in the market
- A wide waistband with lumbar support
- Allows both H and X (backpack and crisscross) shoulder strap style options
- Detachable storage pouch
- Waist belt circumference of 27 to 58 inches and shoulder straps measuring 24 to 44 inches to fit all body types
- Available in two versions: 100% cotton fabric, Cool Air mesh with cotton and poly mesh
- It is designed to be the only carrier you need from birth until your baby is a toddler or no longer needs to be carried.
Unlike other carriers, which need an infant insert (usually sold separately) to use from birth, the Omni 360 comes with an adjustable seat that widens to fit your child as they grow. Also, it has a higher weight of 45 pounds while many other carriers have a maximum capacity of 35 pounds, making it a suitable choice for those who would like extended use with a toddler.
- Offers crossable strap option
Many carriers have shoulder straps designed to be worn, backpack style doesn’t help to distribute weight on the back leading to shoulder pain from straining. The Omni strap design can be worn backpack style or crossed on your back. Petite people find that apart from helping to avoid straining the shoulders, wearing the straps crossed allows them to get a perfect fit, and they do not have to worry about straps feeling too bulky or slipping off.
- It is highly versatile
While most carriers only support front in and back carry, the Omni also supports front out and hip carry positions, adapting to the needs of the baby as they grow. Newborns need to face in for skin-to-skin contact for bonding and head and neck support. But when they get bigger (5 months and above), they will love to have a view of the world, so facing out, hip, and back carry options are nice to have.
- It keeps the baby in an ergonomic position
Health experts recommend that while carrying the baby, the carrier should support the baby’s thighs to prevent legs from dangling to encourage healthy hip development. The Omni keeps the baby in an ergonomic position in all carry positions and is recognized as being a hip-healthy product by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI).
- The waistband has lumbar support
In addition to having a wide, adjustable waistband, Omni 360 has lumbar support to help you maintain the proper posture, maximize your comfort and avoid lower back pain from too much strain. It’s a lifesaver if you have a bad back.
- It is flexible and fully adjustable
Omni 360 allows you to adjust the shoulder straps, waistband, and the baby’s seat. The grey buttons on the front panel help adjust the seat position, and the Velcro straps at the waistband also adjust the body panel for the right size as your child grows.
- Great for breastfeeding
If you want to breastfeed your baby while wearing and going about your business, you only need to lower the shoulder strap on the side you wish to breastfeed from and once your baby is finished, tighten the strap once again. There is also a cover to keep the affair discrete.
- Comes with a pouch
Omni 360 comes with a convenient storage pouch that can keep small essential items such as a phone, keys, and wallet, so you don’t have to carry a bag as well. Some other carriers do not have pockets.
- It is extremely light
Structured carriers can be bulky; luckily, the Omni 360 weighs slightly over a pound, which feels like you are carrying nothing. This makes it a convenient choice for long distances, and you can avoid sweating with the mesh version.
- Some find the shoulders bulky
The shoulders on Ergobaby carriers, including Omni 360 are designed wide with padding to avoid digging into your shoulders. This also makes them feel kind of bulky, especially if you are petite. However, they are flexible, adjustable, and can be worn crossed to get a comfortable fit.
- Can be tricky for some to wear on their own
Like with many carriers, you need to reach behind your head to snap the buckle on your upper back to fasten the Omni carrier after putting the baby in. This may be hard for some people to do by themselves, requiring assistance (but loosening the shoulder straps makes it easier).
- Bulky when folded
This carrier folds up, but not compactly, to fit into a purse, perhaps in a backpack or diaper bag.
Do I Need an Infant Insert For Ergo Omni 360?
No, Ergobaby Omni 360 has an adjustable seat that narrows or widens down to fit your child. You do not need an infant insert.
How to Use Ergobaby Omni 360 Newborn
Wearing a carrier is not always easy, and may take you time to figure out how to do it correctly. The key is to practice without the baby at first. Below are some easy-to-follow steps on how you can wear your Omni 360 carrier to use with a newborn. You can read other top carriers for preemies we reviewed.
- Ensure the carrier is on the wider setting using the black buttons on each side of the front panel
- Fold the top of the front panel over to the inside and secure it with the buttons on the outside. This provides head and neck support for your newborn.
- Adjust the seat by attaching the Velcro straps to the two red center tabs on the inside of the waistband
- Fasten the waist belt around your waist; you want to make to tighten snugly and make sure the lumbar support is centered on your back
- Pick the baby and hold them against your chest, their head turned to one side and knees tucked(you should have a bit of fabric between you and the baby to shorten the height of the front panel so it will not be too high; it should reach the nape of the head)
- While holding the baby on with one arm, bring up the front panel and pass the shoulder straps over your shoulders
- Reach behind your back with one hand, grab the shoulder strap on the opposite side, and bring it around the front.
- Secure the strap with the buckle on the side of the front panel and pull the straps to tighten any slack within the webbing.
- Repeat the step for the other shoulder strap.
Ergobaby Ombi Guide – FAQs
How to Wash Ergobaby Omni 360
The Omni 360 is machine washable. The manufacturer recommends washing using a mild detergent on a gentle cycle with cold water. And for quicker results, it is also recommended to use the drier for about 20 minutes and then hang it to dry.
How to Fold Ergobaby Omni 360
You can easily fold the Omni 360 carrier for storage or packing into your diaper bag when not in use. To fold, follow these easy steps:
- Lay the carrier on a flat surface with the inside side facing up
- Fold the shoulder straps in half and place them on top of each other
- While firmly holding the pile of folded straps, roll the carrier onto itself
- Take the buckles on each end of the waistband and buckle
- Pull the straps on each side to secure the carrier as compact as possible
Ergobaby Omni 360 Weight Limit
Omni 360 has a higher weight capacity than others, up to 45 pounds
Ergobaby Omni 360 When Can Baby Face Forward
Omni 360 is a versatile baby carrier that allows your baby to face in and forward. It is recommended that infants must always face inside when in a carrier to have their head and neck supported. The forward-facing position is for babies with strong head and neck control, usually at 5 or 6 months of age.
Ergobaby Omni 360 for Hiking – Is It Ideal?
Ergobaby Omni is both lightweight and comfortable to wear for long periods; as such, it is suitable for hiking, especially the Cool Air mesh, which is airier to prevent overheating.
Ergobaby Omni 360 Positions
Omni 360 supports four carry positions:
- Front-facing in
- Front-facing out
- Hip carry
- Back carry
Ergobaby Omni 360 Front Facing and Instructions for Front Facing- Is It Ideal?
Ergobaby Omni 360 Front-facing means literally that you are wearing the baby on your front and then he or she is facing forward. Many kids love this position because they get to see the world ahead. However, as we mentioned earlier, this position is only safe for babies with strong head and neck control, typically between 5 to 6 months of age.
But many experts find this position less than ideal. This is because babies usually read the parent’s face for communication and to feel safe. In a forward-facing position, the baby is coming face to face with new surroundings, which may make her become overwhelmed or overstimulated. If you are a dad, you can also read more on this post we reviewed other baby carriers for dads.
The second reason this position is less ideal is that it puts more strain on the back as it’s more difficult to carry a load facing away from you. That is why it becomes uncomfortable this way the heavier your child becomes.
For these reasons, experts recommend limiting the front-facing out position for short periods.
Now, to wear the Omni 360 baby carrier in a forward-facing position, use the following steps:
- Check to ensure that the seat is adjusted to your baby’s size (use the grey buttons on the inside of the front panel)
- Loosen the shoulder straps
- Fasten the waistband around your waist
- Place the baby against your chest, and support her with one hand as you pull the front panel up
- Insert your arms through the shoulder straps one after the other so are able to switch hands to support the baby
- Buckle the back strap and pull on the straps to tighten
- Tighten the shoulder straps to center the baby and for comfort
- Ensure the baby is comfortably seated by pivoting her pelvis forward
Ergobaby Omni 360 Back Carry – Is It Ideal?
Back carry is normally ideal once your baby becomes too heavy to be carried on the front. This happens when the child is around 22 pounds/10-12 months old for most people. However, you can carry your baby in this position even earlier, provided they have strong head control. Back carry is also handy for long-distance walking or when carrying heavy things with your hands. In a separate post, we reviewed Ergobaby Omni 360 in the list of top-rated carriers with good back support.
Ergobaby Omni 360 Preferred Age Bracket To Use This Carrier
Omni 360 is recommended for children from 7 to 45 pounds/ 0 to 48 months
Ergobaby Omni 360 Manual
If you would like to learn more about the Ergobaby Omni 360, you can get the manufacturer’s manual here.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at MotherhoodHQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at email@example.com.