When most people think of baby gates, they think of the ones you put at the top and bottom of the stairs. However, did you know that there are also baby gates specifically designed for fireplaces? Believe it or not, fireplace baby gates are a must-have safety item for every home with a fireplace. Here’s why:
Fireplace Deaths and Injury Stats
- According to the National Fire Protection Association, each year there are about 9,600 residential fires are reported in which a child under five was injured. Of these fires, almost half started in the living room or family room, where a fireplace is commonly located. A survey conducted by Safe Kids Worldwide found that nearly 60 percent of parents with children younger than five don’t have any type of barrier blocking access to their fireplace.
Did you know that in one year, two children in the United States died when they fell into a fireplace or became trapped behind the screen? It is estimated that every 24 hours, one child in this country dies in a fire. And, according to the National SAFE KIDS Campaign, more than 800 children die each year from unintentional fires, with more than half of these fires occurring in the home.
What can you do to protect your children from a fireplace-related accident?
First, it is essential that any fireplace in your home be secured by a quality baby gate. You may also want to add a screen door or glass front doors to prevent accidental falls while still allowing you to enjoy the beauty of a fireplace.
It is also important to teach your children about this potential danger and how to react if they find themselves near a fireplace. Initial training should start as early as possible so that children understand the dangers involved with fireplaces and hearths.
How to Babyproof a fireplace
The only way to babyproof a fireplace is to install a sturdy gate that can be secured as a standalone hindrance between the open space and where the fireplace is situated in your house. Plastic baby gate brands are not great as gates for fireplaces as they can easily melt but you can get any sturdy ones made with wood or steel and with a safety lock. We have reviewed our top picks below;
Types of fireplace baby gates
Hardware-mounted: These require hardware accessories and tools such as screws to secure them to a wall. They are more secure as your baby will not easily break them.
Pressure-mounted: Do not require any hardware and can be fixed anywhere and can also be removed easily. You can get pressure-mounted if you don’t like screwing your walls or living in an apartment where the landlord doesn’t allow any hardware installation.
Reviews of the Best Baby Gates for Fireplace 2022
1. Regalo Easy Step – Best Baby Gate for Fireplace
Regalo Extra Wide Bronze Arched Decor is our overall best baby gate for fireplaces that you can use and rest assured of your baby’s safety. It is a stylish and functional fireplace guard that is designed with a safety lock that you can secure, making it confident that your baby won’t be able to get to the fire. This fireplace guard also stands 30-inches tall and expands to fit openings 29-35 inches wide. It is a simple pressure-mount setup, and no tool is required to install it. The easy close handle features a one-touch release safety lock. This sturdy, all-metal frame gate is light, weighing only 0.09 kgs, and suitable for children from age 6 to 24 months.
- Best Features: Extends 51 inches tall; fits 30-50 inches wide; simple one-handed open; no tools required
- Best for: Large openings
Material Description: Wide metal gate (22″ tall) opens easily with one hand and closes automatically. Gate swings closed on its own, but can be locked in place if desired. Extends to 51″ high; available in black, brown, and white.
- EXTRA WIDE: Stands 30-inches tall and expands to fit openings 29-35 inches wide.
- DECOR: Fashioned with high-end bronze finishes, walk through door that opens both directions.
- ADJUSTABLE: Simple pressure mount set up, and no tool required for set up. Easy close handle features a one-touch release safety lock. Sturdy, all metal frame.Do not use abrasive cleaners or bleach
- FIT: Perfect for hallway, doorway, open spaces and bottom of stairs. Includes 6-inch-wide extension kit. Gate folds flat for easy storage.
- SAFETY: Designed with safety-lock, meets all safety standard. Hardware mount for added security. Perfect for children 6-24 months. Great for pets too.
2. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
Second, on our list is Summer Infant Extra Tall & Wide Safety Gate which is also pressure-mounted and is a great gate for fireplaces.
The Summer Infant Extra Tall and Wide baby gate is made for extra-wide openings like the bottom of stairs. This sturdy steel gate features an auto-close that gently closes the gate door behind you and a hold-open feature that keeps the door open.
The walk-through design allows easy access when holding hands with your child or carrying groceries. The pressure-mounted hardware makes installation quick and easy without damaging walls. Includes three extension frames to fit openings 29 1/2″ to 53″. Adult assembly required.
- Best Features: Extends up to 57 inches tall; fits doorway or hallway openings from 28 – 42 inches wide; pressure mounted design
- Best for: Openings between walls that are thicker than doorframes
- Material Description: Plastic deco door gate deters children from opening with a one-handed easy pass-through door.
$79.92 in stock
- EXTRA TALL AND WIDE: The Summer Extra Tall & Wide Safety Gate for Baby is perfect for extra-wide doorways, stairs, and wide spaces. The 38” extra tall gate fits openings 29.5” to 53” wide and has a wide door, making it easier to walk through.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easily install this baby gate on stairways with the included kit, or by using the no drill doorway mount for in-between doorways. Tools are required for hardware mounting. Also included are 3 extension frames.
- AUTO-CLOSE FEATURE: The Extra Tall & Wide Safety Gate has an auto-close feature that gently closes the door behind you as well as a hold-open mechanism that keeps the door open when needed for extra convenience.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Have peace of mind knowing your baby or pet can explore safely with this high-quality baby gate from Summer. The built-in door stopper will prevent your gate from swinging open.
- STYLISH BABY GATE: This decorative baby gate is made with a cool gray metal frame, so you can child proof your home in style. Standing 38” tall, it is ideal for use with toddlers and pets.
3. Toddleroo by North States Extra Wide Baby Gate
The 3rd best gate for the fireplace babyproofing is the Toddleroo by North States which is an extra-wide gate made of wood and is JPMA certified.
The Toddleroo is a versatile and reliable baby gate or safety barrier that can be used on carpet, tile, hardwood floors, etc. without scratching.
The free-standing enclosure sets up in seconds, and the swinging walk-thru door panel has a child-proof double-locking system allowing secure, easy access. The bars are 2 ½” apart and JPMA certified. Safe for babies ages 6-24 months.
- Best Features: Best for rooms up to 10 ft. wide
- Best for: Stairs or other hard floors
Material Description: Wooden gate is 31 inches tall and fits an opening of 29-42 inches. 3-1/2 inch spaces between vertical slats. The swinging door allows parents easy access through the gate, but little ones cannot
- KEEPING TODDLERS SAFE SINCE 1953: Worry-Free Safety! The Toddleroo by North States 3-in-1 Wood Superyard is versatile and reliable - acting as a portable playpen, a baby gate or a safety barrier. Works on carpet, tile, hardwood floors, etc. without scratching.
- SAFETY & CONVENIENCE: The free-standing enclosure sets up in seconds, and the swinging walk-thru door panel has a child-proof double-locking system allowing secure, easy access. Bars are 2 ½” apart.
- MODERN FEATURES FOR MODERN HOMES: The mounting hardware accommodates extra-tall baseboards, can be mounted to angled walls, and can be infinitely extended with extension panels (sold separately) to span extra wide areas.
- CONFIGURABLE FOR A VARIETY OF SPACES: The 3in1 Superyard has locking panels that configure to fit any space for infinite play area options. Some barrier configurations may require additional hardware (hardware package sold separately by the manufacturer).
- BABY SAFE: This gate is JPMA certified. Safe for babies ages 6-24 months. Fun for your child, peace of mind for you!
4. Costzon Baby Safety Gate
Costzon is among the most reputable brands that make fireplace safety gates for babies on the market today. This baby safety gate is made using heavy-duty tubular steel to increase longevity. We loved the 115-inch length size of this freestanding baby gate that helps you to block your big home’s fireplace conveniently. It is the safest way to keep your child safe during winter when they might be tempted to get closer to the warmth coming from your indoor hearth.
The freestanding design means no assembling is required and it offers a 29-inches height that your baby can’t climb. Most parents love the lightweight (23 lbs.) design as well as the in-built dual locking system for ease of operation and baby-proofing. At $140, it is good value for money.
5. Bonnlo 121-inch Wide Safety Gate
This safety gate made it to our list for being among the finest metal baby gates for fireplaces on the market. The baby gate consists of 5 panels with a solid construction that spreads 121-inch wide. That makes it a good barrier for your fireplace even if it has an angled opening. It stands 31 inches high which is tall enough to block any baby.
We liked the steel frame that is strong enough to withstand your little one’s bumping strength to keep him or her safe. Even better, there are metal mounting brackets if you need to screw the gate into the wall. The wall attachments are flexible to make it easy for you to affix the baby gate to the wall at an angle.
Other than the configurability that allows you to install the Bonnlo safety gate into any shape that fits your fireplace opening, you can add 3 more panels. These separately bought panels will help you customize your space. The design has a walk-through door plus a safety locking feature. Its price tag is $140 on Amazon.
6. KidCo G3111 Hearth Gate
KidCo was among the first companies to introduce metal child safety gates in the US about 28 years ago. Its G3111 made it to our list today as one of the best fireplace baby gates for your standard 6-inch hearth. It has a width of 128 inches and a height of 29.5 inches.
To keep your little one safe, the G3111 hearth gate is made using robust tubular steel with robotic welding. Add nylon-based plastic parts with fiberglass reinforcement and you get solidity, durability, and longevity. We loved the unique magnet-lock tech that makes the 2-way walk-through door self-closing. This makes it hard for your baby to open access to the fireplace.
While this hearth gate is easy to install and assemble, it is not as sturdy since some buyers have complained about 1 and 2-year-old pushing it and breaking. It is priced from $200 on Amazon.
7. Regalo 192-inch Super Wide Adjustable Baby Gate
The Regalo brand makes some of the most highly rated baby gates that fit a lot of uses which include styles to block fireplaces. This baby gate particularly made it to our list for adaptability and convenience. Whether you need to block your wide fireplace section or the small gas fireplace, their 192-inch wide baby gate is a fantastic option.
This baby gate from Regalo comes with 8 panels so you can customize installation depending on your space. It also stands 28-inches tall to block even the tallest kiddos from opening it. We loved the wall mounting installation that improves stability and security. The all-steel design improves longevity while the locking feature on the walk-through door boosts baby safety.
If you have children aged 24 months or less, this baby gate is designed for you. It is available on Amazon at $110.
Where to buy
Are you living in Canada, the US, the UK, or any other place in the world? You can check the variety of baby gates for around the fireplace on Amazon using the links we provided. They are also available on other online stores such as eBay, Walmart, and more.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhood HQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.