In this post, I have shared the step-by-step process on how to wear Baby K’tan baby carrier which is a forward-facing carrier we previously reviewed here at MotherhoodHQ. It is also our top-rated soft carrier made with 100% cotton ideal for carrying premies.
Baby K’tan, the manufacturer of the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier claims that wearing the carrier is as simple as wearing a t-shirt because there is no buckling or wrapping involved. How to wear the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier depends on the position of a user but there are common wear guidelines that you can follow to make babywearing with Baby K’tan easier.
Steps to follow when wearing Baby K’tan
Below are the general steps to follow when wearing the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier;
- Put the two loops together to make a circle. The Baby K’tan is made of two loops of fabric connected by an adjustable back support band.
- Put the connected loops over your head like a necklace, making sure that the support band is at the back of your neck.
- Separate the loops and put one arm through each loop.
- The carrier should crss (X) at your front and your back and the support band in the middle of the X at your back.
- Take the outer loop (one farthest from your body) and lower it from your shoulder.
- The outer loop will be hanging at your waist and the inner loop will be lying diagonally across your torso.
- Continue wearing the Baby K’tan depending on the position of use.
The image below shows the six basic steps of wearing the Baby K’tan.
Safety Checklist when using the Baby K’tan
- Ensure that your baby is visible and kissable to avoid suffocation
- Make sure you can palace two fingers between your baby’s chin and chest
- Use of the carrier loops to support the baby’s head if they don’t have head control yet.
- Ensure that the Sash is securely tightened around the baby if the position of wear requires it.
- Make sure that the carrier is not tight on the baby’s leg to enhance comfort and development.
How to Wear Baby K’tan Baby Carrier on Hip
Follow the steps below to wear the Baby K’tan Baby carrier on Hip:
- Put the two loops together to form a circle
- Put the circle-like loops over your head like a necklace, ensuring that the support band is at the back of your neck.
- Put one arm through the loops and then place one loop over the other one.
- Stretch the fabric of the carrier at your side open to form a hammock-like seat,
- Lift your baby and place them in the Carrier with their legs straddling your hip.
- Ensure that the Carrier’s fabric covers the baby’s bottom up to under their knees and that it spreads over their neck
Below is a snapshot showing the step-by-step process of wearing the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier in Hip position.
Note: The Hip Position is suitable for babies who can sit up unassisted.
How to Wear Baby K’tan Baby Carrier on the Back
You cannot wear Baby K’tan Baby Carrier on the Back. However, you should ensure that you wear the carrier properly to provide the needed back support. The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier user manual explains that the carrier has a unique two-loop design and adjustable back support band that distributes your baby’s weight across both your shoulders and back, providing support. The 2 loops should cross at your front and back with the support band in the middle of the X at your back.
The Baby K’tan company instructs its carrier users to carry their babies in a visible and kissable position to prevent suffocation. The only recommended Baby K’tan Baby carrier positions are Newborn Kangaroo, Hug, Adventure, Explore, and Hip.
Below is a snapshot of the recommended baby positioning when using the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier.
How to Wash Baby K’tan
To wash the Baby K’tan Baby carrier:
- Machine wash cold with like colors only (Wash separately before use to understand its colors and remove the slight manufacturing smell).
- Use non-chlorine bleach when necessary.
- Tumble dry low when using the machine dry.
- Hang dry it if you prefer it to use the dryer.
Note. You can wash the Baby K’tan Baby carrier using machine and machine drying it, or washing with the machine and hang drying it. Hanging it to dry is especially important if you need to minimize shrinkage that is common when using the machine dryer. On the other hand, machine drying the Baby K’tan carrier is most appropriate when it feels a little snug and you need to shrink it.
When to Use the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier in Hug Position
You should use the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier in Hug Position when your baby is about 2 months old when they can stretch their legs fully.
The image below is a snapshot of how to use the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier in Hug Position.
This video provides visual instructions on how to use the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier in a hug position.
Does Baby K’tan shrink?
Yes, The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier does shrink. The Baby K’tan shrinks a little after washing and also stretches with wear. The Baby K’tan website explains that the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier is designed to stretch with use and tighten up with a wash.
Super tip on managing shrinkage of the cotton Baby K’tan Baby Carriers; Hang dry your carrier or machine dry it for 15-20 minutes and then hang dry it. Additionally, ensure that you stretch the carrier’s fabric often when hanging and drying it to minimize shrinking.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a grand-mom to two boys and is part of the review board here at Motherhoodhq.com. She is responsible for the quality control of content and is among our most experienced moms. She has over 20 years of writing parenting content online focussing on baby safety indoors and outdoors. She has written widely on babyproofing nurseries and homes for infants and toddlers and published work on privacy and the safety of baby monitors. She is a renowned advocate for non-wifi baby monitors that cannot be hacked and spends a lot of time educating parents on how to secure their homes – including ways to secure the baby from harm in and around homes. Sandra is a native of Atlanta where she also works. She can be reached using her email, Sandra.w(at)motherhoodhq.com