Kids like to saddle up and take a ride on their very own horse toy. Since it is not feasible for them to ride the actual pony, a horse toy with wheels gives them somewhat equal excitement. In this post, I have reviewed our top picks that are safe and ideal for toddlers from ages 2 to 10 years. While infants with 12 months in age can ride some, we highly recommend they start to ride them at age 2 and above. Your baby can start off with a ride-on horse toy stick before graduating to a fully-built one on this list.
With the help of a few moms in our network, we have handpicked the best ride-on horse toys with wheels that are safe, fun, interactive, and durable.
Reviews of the Best Ride on Toys with Wheels
UFREE Horse Action Pony
Our overall best ride-on horse toy is the UFREE Horse Action Pony. UFREE Horse Action Pony is the best choice for your children as it mimics a real horse in all its movements. It’s a rocking horse toy with wheels, which can bounce up and down to gallop, ride like a real horse. Walking Horse Toy is an excellent way for you to be close with your kids at home or in the garden.
- Bounce Up and Down to Gallop, Ride Like a Real Horse, Walk Without any Power & Battery, 2-year Warranty.
- Advanced New Type. No Raised Saddle but Run Faster & Easier, Better Appearance.
- Two level stirrup for Different Ages.
- Approved by US Toys Safety Standard (ASTM F963) and European Standard (EN71).
- Easy to Install——Typical Assembly Time of 5 Minut
This horse has two-level saddles which can help you adjust the height of the seat according to your kids’ age. Your child will feel more comfortable and safer when they are riding on it. The UFREE Horse Action Pony is made of high-quality materials that make it very sturdy and durable. It is ideal for children from age 3 to 6 years.
PonyCycle Ride on Horse Toy
PonyCycle Ride on Horse Toy is a great way for children to learn about riding. This pony toy has a sturdy construction and will not tip over easily. It simulates riding on a real horse and steers left or right with the handlebar. PonyCycle toy is great for indoor or outdoor use and allows kids to ride whenever they want. The seat is comfortable and easy to adjust so that kids can get on it by themselves. With its sturdy construction, this pony toy will last longer than similar toys out there.
- FEATURES - PonyCycle toy simulates riding on a real pony also steers left and right.
- New - Gorgeous appearance and shape.
- UPGRADE - More comfortable sitting and touch feeling.
- FUN - For indoor and outdoor use, boys and girls to ride whenever they want.
- SAFETY - No Batteries, No electric. Wheels do not roll backwar
Hape rocking Horse
If you are looking for a more traditional horse toy, the Hape rocking Horse is perfect. This wooden horse toy is handcrafted with beautiful details and is made of high-quality materials. It is durable and safe for children, and will last for many years. The Hape rocking Horse is a great choice for toddlers and young children who are just starting to learn how to ride.
- Gently rock at a steady pace or safely take your horse for a gallop
- Classic toy gives hours of imaginative exercise while developing basic balance and coordination skills
- Some easy assembly is required
- Hape finishes are all non-toxic, child safe, and of the highest quality
- For ages 10 months - 3 ye
Basic Fun Ponyrider
The Basic Fun Ponyrider is a great gift for kids who love horses. This toy doesn’t require any batteries or electricity – your child simply moves up and down on the foot rests to make the unicorn move forward. It’s easy to go as fast or slow as they want, and it’s perfect for indoor or outdoor play. The wheels are smooth to ride on the floor at home or outside, and it’s built with sturdy metal and steel structures that can easily hold up to 88 pounds. The seat is comfortable and the non-slip pedal keeps them in place.
- No batteries or electricity required. Unicorn Ponyrider simulates the action of riding a real horse. By gently moving up and down on the foot rests, your child makes the unicorn move forward with an easy motion.
- Easy gallop and go - kids can go as fast or slow.
- Indoor or Outside fun - wheels are smooth to ride on the floor at home or outside play.
- Built with sturdy metal and steel structures and mechanisms that can easily hold up to 88 pounds.
- Comfortable seat and non-slip pedal
- Perfect birthday and holiday gift for kids ages 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,
ECR4Kids My Wild Pony
This battery-powered, 12V mechanical horse is the perfect ride-on toy for girls and boys ages 3+ years old. With realistic neighing and galloping sounds, the Wild Pony is an interactive walking horse children can ride indoors or out on smooth surfaces with a max speed of 1.86 mph.
Smart Gear Pony Cycle Chocolate,
The Smart Gear PonyCycle is a classic rocking horse with a new twist! It moves! Kids will love riding this fun and exciting toy for hours. The PonyCycle features a kid powered ride-on that simulates riding on a real pony also steers left and right. This is the perfect gift for any child who loves to play outdoors or indoors, boys & girls to ride whenever they want. You can even use it as an indoor bike trainer to help improve your kids balance while they are learning how to ride a real bicycle.
- KID FRIENDLY - Riding Toy that Moves Forward in a Galloping Motion.
- FUN - This Toy Simulates Riding On A Real Pony Also Steers Left and Right.
- FEATURES - Kid powered ride-on PonyCycle is For Indoor/Outdoor Use, Boys and Girls to Ride Whenever they Want
- CLASSIC - Like a Classic Rocking Horse Toy with a New Twist. It Moves! Exciting!
- SAFETY - No Batteries, No electric, just fun for any child. Wheels do not roll backwar
Rockin’ Rider Coffee Stable Horse Ride On
Rockin’ Rider Coffee Stable Horse Ride On is a fun and interactive way for kids to learn about horses and enjoy their favorite drink. This soft plush horse with painted pattern, sturdy metal frame and realistic horse sounds will be your child’s new best friend! Your little one can press the ears to hear the exclusive “I’m a little Pony” Song and fun talking phrases sounds. They can also activate 3 intuitive activation points that play realistic horse sounds. The high-back leatherette saddle with metal stirrups includes an adjustable shoulder
WondeRides Ride on Horse Toy
WondeRides Ride on Horse Toy is the best ride-on toy for kids. It gives children the same experience and exercise as riding a real horse but without all the risks of injuries.
The WondeRides Ride on Horse Toy has a sturdy metal frame with steel structures that can easily hold up to 88 lbs for 4-9 years old. It is easy to steer with its handlebars and kids can go as fast or slow as they wish. While the child is having fun riding, it can increase body flexibility, exercises the muscles of the whole body and develop.
- FEATURE- No batteries or electricity required. WondeRides ride on Unicorn fully simulates the action of riding a real horse, giving the same experience and exercise as riding a real horse. By gently moving up and down on the foot rests your child makes the unicorn move forward with an easy “gallop and go” motion. Easy to steer with the handlebars and kids can go as fast or slow as they wish.
- BENEFITS OF RIDING- While the child is having fun riding, it can increase body flexibility, exercises the muscles of the whole body and develop physical strength. Correct riding posture (back straight) can change the habit of hunching and create a better temperament.
- FUN AT HOME- Unicorn wheels are smooth to ride on the floor at home. During the period when have to stay at home, kids can have great fun riding, also exercise. No longer addicted to electronics.
- QUALITY- WondeRides ride-on unicorn are made with pride, quality and workmanship. Build with Sturdy Metal and Steel Structures and Mechanisms that can easily hold up to 88 lbs for 4-9 years old.
- DETAIL- Comfortable seat. Non-slip pedal. Safety one-way mute wheel. Easy to steer handle. LxWxH 31.5 x 13 x 36.6 inc
Rockin’ Rider Charger 2-in-1 Pony Ride-On
Rockin’ Rider’s Charger 2-in-1 Pony Ride-On easily converts from rocker to roller without tools, making it perfect for toddlers on the go. Press the left ear to hear the exclusive “I’m a Little Pony” song and press the right ear to hear 6 talking phrases and sound effects. The soft, huggable body talks and sings with a synchronized moving mouth. Seat Height is 12.5 Inches (rocker) 10 Inches (roller).
Q: Are ride-on-horse toys safe?
A: Ride-on-horse toys are safe as long as they are used as intended. Be sure to check the weight limit before purchasing to ensure it is safe for your child’s age and weight.
Q: Can I use ride-on-horse toys indoors?
A: Most ride-on-horse toys are meant for outdoor use, but some can be used indoors. Check the product description before purchasing to make sure it is safe for both indoor and outdoor use.
Q: How do I convert my ride-on-horse toy from rocker mode to roller mode?
A: Many ride-on-horse toys come with a conversion kit that is easy to use without any tools. Check the product description to see if your toy includes a conversion kit.
Benefits of ride-on Horse toys with wheels:
- -Can be used indoors and outdoors
- -Increase body flexibility
- -Exercises the muscles of the whole body
- -Develop balance and coordination skills
- -Encourages imaginative play
- -Entertaining for hours on end!
Where to buy
You can buy most ride-on-horse toys at retail stores such as Walmart, KMart, Target, or online from Amazon. Each of the three retailers usually has sales, clearance offers, or discounts for holidays such as Christmas, Black Friday, and more. If you are outside the US, you can find these toys in major retail stores in NZ, Australia, UK, Germany, and most other countries.
When can I take my child to ride a real horse?
Some children may be ready to ride a real horse at age 4, while others may not be ready until they are 6 or 7 years old. It is important to take into consideration your child’s age, weight, height, and experience with horses before taking them for a ride. Always consult with an experienced horseback rider before making any decisions.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Naomi Lambert is a mother of two and an elementary school teacher leading our product quality review here at Motherhood HQ. Naomi has a degree in Elementary Teaching from the University of Utah. She has also worked as a product tester for Consumer Reports. Naomi enjoys reading and getting immersed in new research, especially on topics related to parenting and pets. When she’s not reading or testing baby gear, Naomi enjoys hiking in the midwest and hanging out with her two dog pets. Naomi is originally from Salt Lake City, Utah.
Naomi work leading baby gear/product testing:
To test new gear before we review here at Motherhood HQ, Naomi goes through a multi-step process that includes reading up on the latest research, conducting her own hands-on testing, and evaluating the results. She also consults with experts in the field, such as pediatricians, to get their input. This comprehensive approach ensures that our reviews are accurate and helpful for our readers.
Testing involves using the gear with her own children, as well as observing other parents using the products. Ms. Lambert looks for safety concerns, ease of use, and whether the product actually lives up to its claims. She also takes into account the price of the product and whether it is a good value for what you get.
After testing a product, Naomi writes up her findings in a review. She includes both the positive and negative aspects of the product, as well as her own personal recommendations. Her reviews are honest and unbiased, and they can help you make informed decisions about which products are right for your family.
Aggregating Other real-user reviews from other moms:
A critical process in our reviews is incorporating feedback from other moms who have used the products we are testing. To get this information, we talk to parents in our networks and consult with product-specific experts.These experts must have published work in the field of early childhood development, have worked extensively with the product in question, or have significant experience in the manufacturing or design of the product.
We also read online reviews from other parents, but we take these with a grain of salt. We recognize that many online reviewers are not objective and that some may be biased because they were given the product for free or paid to write a review. For this reason, we only consider online reviews after they have been vetted by our team of experts.
If you are a parent who has used a product that we are interested in reviewing, we would love to hear from you! You can contact us at naomi.lam@motherhood