The first time I got a stroller, I got one without a cup holder and ended up purchasing a universal cup holder to attach it to the stroller. When I got the next stroller, a cup holder and a tray were two of the first things I looked for. Cup holders on strollers are important for parents who want to be able to bring their beverages with them when they go for a walk or run errands with their baby.
Below is an image of a cup holder on a Koolkraft stroller, one of our top recommended cup-holding strollers.
There are several benefits of having a cup holder on your stroller:
- You can keep your beverage close by: This is the most obvious benefit of having a cup holder on your stroller. If you’re like me, you like to have a water bottle with you at all times, especially when you’re out walking or running errands. Having a cup holder means you don’t have to worry about holding onto your drink or putting it down somewhere and forgetting about it.
- You can keep your hands free: If you’re pushing a stroller with one hand and holding a drink in the other, it can be difficult to navigate, especially if you need to use both hands for something. Having a cup holder frees up one of your hands so you can push the stroller more easily or attend to your child.
- You can keep your drink cold (or hot): Depending on the type of cup holder you have, it can insulate your beverage and keep it at the temperature you want. This is especially useful in hot weather when you want to keep your water cold or in cold weather when you want to keep your coffee hot.
There are four main types of cup holders for strollers:
- Standard cup holders: These are the most common type of cup holders and can be found on most strollers. They’re usually made of plastic and have an open-top so you can easily insert and remove your drink. Some standard cup holders have a cover to help keep your drink insulated.
- Expandable cup holders: These cup holders are designed to accommodate larger drinks, like water bottles. They’re often made of an expandable material, like mesh, that stretches to fit around your bottle.
- Tray cup holders: These cup holders are usually found on strollers that have a tray attached to the handlebars. The cup holders are usually made of plastic and are located on either side of the tray.
- Universal cup holders: These cup holders can be attached to any stroller, regardless of the make or model. They’re usually made of plastic and have a clip that attaches to the stroller frame. Some universal cup holders come with a tray that can also be attached to the stroller.
Below is an image of a universal cup holder retailing on Amazon for about $12.
Factors to consider when choosing the best stroller with a cup holder
When you’re looking for a stroller with a cup holder, there are a few things to keep in mind about the cup holder that comes with your stroller. Consider the following factors about the cup
- Size of the cup: Make sure the cup holder is big enough to accommodate your drink of choice. If you like to bring a water bottle with you, look for an expandable cup holder or a tray with built-in cup holders.
- Cup insulation: If you want to keep your drink cold (or hot), look for a cup holder with insulation. Some standard and expandable cup holders come with covers that can help insulate your drink.
- Cup holder shape and fit: Make sure the cup holder is the right shape and size to hold cups or bottles of various sizes.
- The grip of the cup holder: Make sure that you get a stroller with a cup holder that grips the bottle or container well even when you are on rough terrains.
- Attachment: If you’re looking for a Universal cup holder, make sure it’s easy to attach and detach from your stroller. You should also make sure it’s compatible with your stroller before you buy it.
- The number of cup holders a stroller has: If you have more than one child, or if you like to bring a water bottle and coffee with you on your walks, look for a stroller with multiple cup holders. Some strollers have tray cup holders that can accommodate two drinks, or you can get a universal cup holder that can be attached to the frame of the stroller.
- Cup holder material: Most cup holders are made of plastic, but you can also find metal and silicone cup holders. Consider the weight and durability of the materials before you choose a stroller with a cup holder.
- Location/ease of accessing the cups: The location of the cup holders can be important, especially if you have a large drink or if you have more than one child in the stroller. If you have a water bottle and coffee, you may want two cup holders so that each beverage is within reach. Some strollers have tray cup holders that are located on either side of the tray, while others have cup holders that are attached to the frame of the stroller.
- Price: The price of the stroller with a cup holder will vary depending on the make, model, and features of the stroller. You can find basic strollers with cup holders for around $50, or you can get a high-end stroller with multiple cup holders and other features for $200 or more.
Other Factors to consider;
- Type of stroller: The type of stroller you have will also affect your choice of cup holder. If you have a jogging stroller, you might want a tray with cup holders so you can have your drink and snacks within reach. If you have an umbrella stroller, you might prefer a universal cup holder that can be attached and detached as needed.
- Your needs: Think about what you’ll be using your stroller for and what type of cup holder would be most convenient for you. If you’re looking for a stroller to use while running errands, you might want a tray with cup holders so you can have your hands free. If you’re looking for a stroller to use while traveling, you might want a universal cup holder that can be attached to different types of strollers.
- Weight of stroller: Aside from cup-holder-related factors to consider when picking a stroller, you should also factor in the weight of the stroller you want to get. Go for lightweight strollers that weigh no more than 15 pounds and you’ll enjoy riding them and not feel like a burden.
- Storage space: Get a stroller with enough storage space to fit baby essentials such as diaper bags, bottles, and much more. Some like the Graco Modes Pramette have a phone holder.
Built-in vs attached cup-holders;
Built-in cup holders in a stroller are those that come with the stroller when you purchase it. Most of the time, these cup holders are made specifically for that model of stroller. Some strollers will have one built-in cup holder while others will have two.
Attached cup holders are those that can be attached to any stroller, regardless of the make or model. These are usually universal cup holders that come with a clip that attaches to the stroller frame. Some attached cup holders also come with a tray that can be attached to the stroller.
Reviews of the Best Strollers with Cup Holders
Our overall best stroller with cup holders in this list is the Summer 3Dmini Convenience Stroller. It comes with built-in cup holders and extra-large storage pockets and you’ll appreciate the fact that you get all that for less than $50! As of this publication in April 2022, it is the best-selling stroller and over 8,000 parents have given it a very good average rating of 4.3/5.
The Summer 3Dmini Convenience Stroller is a lightweight (only 11 pounds) and compact stroller that’s perfect for everyday use or travel. It has a durable aluminum frame, auto-lock and anti-shock front wheels, and lockable rear wheels. The padded seatback and multi-position recline keep your little one comfortable.
This Summer 3Dmini lightweight umbrella stroller is perfect for on-the-go parents. It has a compact fold and a hassle-free canopy with flip-out sun visor, making it easy to store and bring with you wherever you go.
- Safe with auto-lock and anti-shock front wheels
- Multi-position recline
- Not great with maneuverability as it has a 4-wheel design and not 3.
My next favorite stroller with a cup holder is another lightweight brand by Koolkraft called Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Easy Fold Compact Travel Baby Stroller. This one is different from Summer 3Dmini above as its 2 cup holders are removable.
The Kolcraft features a large, easy-to-access storage basket that holds all of the baby’s necessities, as well as a removable child tray with dual cup and juice box holders and a parent tray with two water bottle holders and an extra storage area. The stroller is also roomy enough for your growing child and folds up quickly and easily for convenient storage.
Disney approved! The Kolcraft Cloud Plus Baby Stroller is a lightweight design (only 11.8 lbs) perfect for traveling and day trips. With an extended canopy for maximum UV protection, a peek-a-boo window, and all-terrain wheels and front suspension, this stroller is perfect for any terrain. The one-hand fold makes it easy to take with you on the go, and the folded dimensions are 18″ W x 12″ d x 34″ h.
The Kolcraft Cloud Plus stroller easily transitions from the car to strolling with a simple one-step fold. The lightweight aluminum frame is easy to maneuver and offers an adjustable handlebar for added comfort. The padded seat and canopy offer maximum comfort for baby, while the roomy storage basket provides plenty of space for all of your essentials.
- Large storage basket
- Removable child tray with dual cup holders
- The stroller can be difficult to fold and unfold.
Next on this list of strollers with space to hold cups or water bottles is the Graco Modes Nest Travel System. This is a 3-in-1 travel system that can be used as a stroller, infant car seat carrier, and bassinet. The Graco Modes Nest has a one-hand fold and is self-standing when folded. It comes with a cup holder and a storage basket.
This stroller by Graco has a reversible stroller seat that can face the parent or the world, and the stroller can be raised to three height positions to find just the right ride for the baby. The included Graco SnugRide 35 Lite Elite Infant Car Seat is rear-facing for infants from 4-35 lb and up to 32″. The expandable extra-large storage basket means more room for your stuff (parent) and your baby’s stuff.
Q: Are stroller cup holders necessary?
A: While stroller cup holders are not necessary, they can be very convenient. Cup holders provide a place to keep your drinks while you are pushing the stroller, which can be helpful if you are thirsty or need to keep your hands free.
Hi there! My name is Sarah Davis, one of the co-founders here at Motherhood HQ. As a mom and certified teacher, I have worked with several kids and I am currently pursuing a Doctoral Program in Special Needs Education at the University of Northern Colorado. My specialty is early childhood education and I am a certified teacher in Alabama and in Florida but have also taught at an international school abroad. I am in charge of external partnerships here at Motherhood HQ and I coordinate the exchange and collection of user feedback from various moms in our network. You can reach me using my email, email@example.com