UPPAbaby MESA vs Chicco Keyfit 30 Vs Chicco Keyfit 35
UPPAbaby MESA is far much heavier, almost double the weight of Chicco Keyfit 30 and Chicco Keyfit 35 which weigh almost half the weight of UPPAbaby MESA. Aside from weight, UPPAbaby MESA is much more expensive compared to Chicco’s brands (30 & 35) but is much easier to use and with a longer expiration period by one year. Another difference is that both Chicco Keyfit 30 and 35 varieties are not made with flame-retardant substances while only two of the 4 varieties of UPPAbaby are not made with substances containing flame retardants.
UPPAbaby MESA, Chicco Keyfit 30, and Chicco Keyfit 35 are all renowned car seat brands that have several similarities such as country of the manufacturer (China) and the level of safety using side impact protection. As mentioned above, the key differences between the three brands are the quality of materials used to manufacture the brands, the weights, and the pricing. UPPAbaby MESA’s two varieties are made of flame-retardant material.
More details on the similarities and differences of UPPAbaby Mesa vs Chicco Keyfit 30 vs Chicco Keyfit 35 are below;
|Uppababy MESA||Chicco Keyfit 30||Chicco Keyfit 35|
|No products found.||No products found.||No products found.|
|Comes in four varieties/colors (Jordan, Henry, Bryce, & Jake)||Comes in 10 colors/varieties||Comes in five colors/varieties|
|Recommended for infants that weigh 4 to 35 lbs. and not exceeding 32 inches in height||Recommended for infants that weigh 4 to 30 lbs. and not exceeding 30 inches in height||Recommended for infants with a weight of 4 to 35 pounds and not exceeding 32 inches in height.|
|Rated 4.8/5 on Amazon||Rated 4.9/5 on Amazon.||Rated 4.9/5|
|UPPAbaby MESA is heavier than both Chicco Keyfit 30 and 35 with MESA weighing 18.7 pounds||Chicco Keyfit 30 is lighter (weights 9.6 pounds) than Uppababy MESA, almost half the weight of MESA which is 18.7||Chicco Keyfit 35 is lighter than Uppababy MESA. Keyfit 35 weight 10 pounds against MESA’s 18.7 pounds|
|Uppababy’s Henry and Jordan varieties are made from flame-retardant-free materials while Brye and Jake are made from regular materials with toxic flame-retardants. The ones made of flame-retardant-free materials (Jordan and Henry) costs about $50 more than those made Bryce and Jake varieties. The two varieties (Henry and Jordan) are similar to Keyfit 30 and 35 as they do not contain toxic flame-retardant substances. Learn more about the dangers of flame retardants here.||Chicco Keyfit 30 car seat fabrics pass government flammability standards with no added chemical treatments or flame-retardants, similar to Uppababy’s Henry and Jordan varieties.||Chicco Keyfit 35 car seat fabrics pass government flammability standards with no added chemical treatments such as flame-retardants|
|Dimensions: 24 x 17 x 34 inches|
Dimensions: 27.5 x 17 x 24 inches
|Dimensions: 28 x 16.5 x 22.5 inches|
|7 years expiration||6 years expiration||6 years expiration period|
|Great for preemies||Good for preemies||Good for newborns & preemies|
|#11 in top 100 best-sellers on Amazon||#2 in top 100 best-sellers on Amazon||12th|
|Made in China||Made in China||Made in China|
|Up to 30 inches height recommendation||Up to 30 inches height recommendation||Maximum height recommendation 32 Inches|
|UPPAbaby MESA has a higher maximum weight and height limit, meaning it will last a little longer than the Chicco KeyFit 30. Its weight limitation is 35.00 lbs and the minimum weight recommendation is 4lbs||A lower maximum weight limit of 30 lbs compared to UPPAbaby’s 35 lbs||Minimum weight recommendation of 4 Pounds and Maximum weight recommendation of 35 Pounds|
|Side impact protection||Side impact protection||Includes energy-absorbing foam for side impact protection (SIP)|
|UPPAbaby MESA is more expensive than Chicco Keyfit 30 – You can Check the Price on Amazon||Check Price||Check Price|
UPPAbaby MESA made it into our top 10 infant car seats list of 2022 and it came third behind Britax B Safe Ultra and Chicco Keyfit 30. We were very impressed with UPPAbaby MESA specifically because of its advanced safety features, superior design, and style.
Unlike Chicco Keyfit 30 which supports babies with weights up to 30 pounds, UPPAbaby MESA has a higher weight recommendation of up to 35lbs, just like Britax B Safe Ultra. This UPPAbaby MESA carrier weighs just 10lbs and is considered a lightweight UPPAbaby MESA carrier.
Review of Uppababy MESA
While UPPAbaby MESA brand was released to the market in December 2016, the 2018 UPPAbaby MESA has slight improvements. It is, however, worth noting that UPPAbaby MESA has seen steady growth in sales thanks to the great reception of these infant car seats by thousands of parents across America. The graph below shows its sales since 2017:
I mention the numbers because it gives me a good basis to let you know why UPPAbaby is not just another infant car seat, it is probably the safest. Read below to know why we included this car seat on our 2019 list of best infant car seats.
Features of UPPAbaby MESA:
- It costs about $300 which is relatively more expensive compared to other best infant car seats on the list that cost as low as $199. You can check its current price on Amazon here
- It comes with a system that is easy to install because of its SMART features. It comes with an automatically tightening LATCH system and the system has an indicator that tells you when the base is fully secured to the seat
- Comes with adjustable no-rethread headrest with integrated Side Impact Protection making it safer for your baby
- It has storage pockets for harness buckles
UPPAbaby MESA Pros
- No-rethread harness,
- Side impact protection,
- Adjustable headrest,
- Hideaway canopy with stretch fabric,
- Easy to install without base,
- Innovative base with the self-retracting LATCH system.
UPPAbaby MESA Cons
- Relatively pricey.
- Your baby may grow out of it well before the size limit
- No anti-rebound bar or load leg like other seats in this price range.
- May make baby sweat on their backs
- Can be hard to get the right incline for baby’s head
- Front passengers may lose legroom
How to Install UPPAbaby MESA
UPPAbaby Cruz vs. Nuna MIXX
Nuna MIXX is relatively more expensive compared to UPPAbaby Cruz but Nuna MIXX comes with a bassinet. Both strollers’ bassinets can fully recline to a flat position and are approved for overnight sleeping.
|UPPAbaby Cruz||Nuna MIXX|
|UPPAbaby Crus is lighter by close to five pounds as it weights 21.5 pounds||Nuna MIXX is heavier with a weight of 26.8 pounds|
|Dimensions: 40.5″H x 22.3″W x 37″L||Dimensions: 44.3″H x 23.4″W x 33.5″L|
|Folder Dimensions: 17″H x 22.3″W x 36″L||Folder Dimensions: 16″H x 23.6″W x 35.8″L|
|Wheel size: 7″ front wheels; 8.5″ rear wheels||Wheel size: 7.5″ front wheels; 11″ rear wheels|
|Bassinet dimensions: 25″H x 17″W x 31″L||Bassinet dimensions: 24.5″H x 16.5″W x 35″L|
|Bassinet height and weight limit: 20 pounds or until baby can crawl||Bassinet height and weight limit: 17 pounds or 27.”|
|Protects its canopy and seat from touching the ground when folded and has the ability to stand when folded.||Comes with a clamshell fold that prevents the fabric from coming in contact with the ground.|
|Check price||Check price|
UPPAbaby MESA Vs Nuna Pipa
When Nuna Pipa is compared with UPPAbaby, there is one big distinction. Nuna Pipa comes with a steel stability leg which UPPAbaby MESA does not have. Both UPPAbaby MESA and Nuna Pipa have the same expiration age of 7 years and both cost around $300 with a very small variation of 5 cents as shown on the table below:
|UPPAbaby MESA||Nuna Pipa|
|Recommended for infants that weigh 4 to 35 lbs. and not exceeding 32 inches in height||Recommended for infants that weigh 4 to 32 lbs. and not exceeding 32 inches in height|
|10lbs carrier weight||8lbs carrier weight (With base: 21.4 lbs.)|
|7 years expiration||7 years expiration|
|Retails on Amazon||Sold directly by the manufacturer on their website and not on Amazon|
|Manufactured by UPPAbaby||Manufactured by Albeebaby|
|Five-point harness||Five-point harness|
|Given a 4.5/5 rating (Amazon)||318 customers gave an average of 4.9/5 rating (manufacturer’s site)|
|It costs $299.99 (link)||It cost $299.95|
UPPAbaby MESA Vs Others
UPPAbaby MESA FAA Approval
UPPAbaby MESA is approved for airline travel but you would have to use the infant car seat without its base. The UPPAbaby MESA base is not approved by FAA for airline travel.
UPPAbaby MESA Compatibility With Other Strollers
When you buy UPPAbaby MESA, you can use any of the strollers by UPPAbaby specifically, the VISTA, CRUZ, and MINU. Below is a list of all other strollers compatible with UPPAbaby MESA.
- UPPAbaby VISTA
- UPPAbaby CRUZ
- UPPAbaby MINU (with adapter)
- Thule Urban Glide 1 or 2 Single (with universal adapter)
- Thule Urban Glide 1 or 2 Double (with universal adapter)
- Mima Xari and Xari Sport (with adapter)
It is very important to note that UPPAbaby MESA is NOT compatible with the following strollers:
- Baby Jogger ( City Select, City Select Lux and City Premier, City Mini and City Mini GT, City Tour Lux, City Mini Double, and City GT Double)
- Baby Trend (Expedition Jogger, Espy, Snap N Go, Snap N Go Ultra Tande)
- Babyzen (Yoyo)
- Britax Agile, B-Lively, B Ready,
- Bumbleride (Indie and Speed )
- The canopy is not long enough or does not extend far enough to cover your baby’s legs. The canopy can be machine washed
- Not compatible with several strollers including Baby Trend and Baby Jogger.
Frequently Asked Questions of UPPAbaby Mesa & Others
Yes, UPPAbaby MESA comes with a base
Yes. It is possible to use UPPAbaby MESa with out a base. You’ll need a tight and secure installation of your car seat without using the base
Yes, it comes with an infant insert.
No. You’ll need adapters to attach the MESA to the UPPAbaby VISTA or CRUZ strollers
Yes, it is FAA compliant
UPPAbaby MESA car seat attaches directly to the VISTA without the use of an adapter and can be removed easily by pressing a button on the top of the car seat handle
Yes, UPPABaby MESA infant car seat is FAA approved by its base is not. You can see this list of all FAA-approved car seats
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Hi there! I am Kate, a mother of two and a child mobility expert here at Motherhoodhq.com. I am very passionate about creating awareness and educating parents about strollers and car seat safety. I write a lot about car seats and pay close attention to the safety ratings of different brands from NHTSA and CR. I also write about the changing car seat safety laws in different states and occasionally work as a consultant to parents looking to get some help when deciding on the best car seat, travel system, and stroller to pick. I also blog on different blogs and have been recognized as a baby mobility expert. If you have any questions, you can reach me using; email@example.com.
Chicco KeyFit 35 Infant Car Seat - Onyx, Black
- Easiest-to-install infant car seat offers more headrest height, legroom and stability for extended rear-facing use
- Easy-Extend Headrest System raises with the harness to grow with children up to 32” tall
- Includes stay-in-car base with integrated anti-rebound bar for increased stability and more leg room
- Top-rated installation features such as SuperCinch force-multiplying tightener and bubble level indicators
- One-hand, click-in attachment for effortless mobility with compatible Chicco strollers (sold separately)
2018 UPPAbaby Cruz Stroller -Jordan (Charcoal Melange/Silver/Black Leather)
- NEW! 2018 model CRUZ Stroller
- Includes full size front or rear facing toddler seat with multi-position recline
- Compatible with MESA Infant Car Seat - direct attachment, no adapters necessary
- One-step fold with or without seat attached
- Large, easy-access Basket holds up to 25lbs
Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat, Orion
$188.59 in stock
1 used from $186.70
- EASIEST INFANT CAR SEAT TO INSTALL – Simple, accurate and secure installation – every time – with two bubble-level indicators and spring-loaded leveling foot for proper base angle in vehicle seat and premium LATCH connectors for easy attachment.
- COMPATIBLE WITH CHICCO STROLLERS – Infant car seat clicks securely into the stay-in-car base and compatible Chicco strollers for a convenient car seat and stroller combo. A two-position carry-handle and one-hand release make it easy to remove.
- TOP-RATED INFANT CAR SEAT – Innovative SuperCinch Force-Multiplying LATCH Tightener helps achieve a secure fit in the vehicle and the carrier shell is lined with EPS energy-absorbing foam for improved impact protection
- FROM DAY ONE – Car seat includes a removable infant head and body support insert to accommodate newborns and smaller infants on their first rides. The Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat is designed for babies between 4-30 lbs. and up to 30” tall.
- ADJUSTABLE CANOPY AND WASHABLE SEAT PAD – Features include large, removable canopy that provides shade from the sun and machine washable seat pad for easy cleanup, ideal for baby travel.
UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat - Bryce (White and Grey Marl)
- Includes: 1 MESA Infant Car seat and 1 MESA base
- Suitable for infants 4–35 lbs and up to 32” in height
- SMARTSecure system installs in seconds, Adjustable headrest with Side Impact Protection
- Attaches directly to VISTA, CRUZ, VISTA V2, and CRUZ V2 strollers without adapters
- UPF hideaway canopy, Easily removable and washable seat fabric
Last update on 2023-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API