Have you ever been in a situation where you needed to keep an eye on your baby but couldn’t be right there with them? If so, you may have considered using a baby monitor to help. But what if you don’t want to or can’t spend the money on a traditional baby monitor? Or what if you’re traveling and don’t want to bring your bulky monitor with you? In cases like these, your iPhone can come in handy as a makeshift baby monitor. Here’s how to set it up.
How to use iPhone or iPad as baby monitor: 7 Steps
You can turn an iPhone or iPad into a baby monitor and this is very easy to do with the steps below. You’ll need to use two iPhones or two iPads. One will be the camera and the other will be the display/screen unit.
- First, turn on Wi-Fi on one of your iPhones or iPad. This will allow the connection between your iPhone/iPad mounted as a camera and the other iPhone/iPad that you have with you.
- Mount your iPhone or iPad on the baby’s nursery and position the camera facing the baby.
- Next, open up the app store on your phone and download a free app that works for you. You can choose from apps such as Baby Monitor 3G or BabyPing. We have reviewed the best baby monitor apps here.
- f you need two-way communication during naptime or bedtime hours, download an app that’s got a direct video feed connection. Otherwise, skip this step. Some good options are Live Camera Viewer Pro ($0.99) or Baby Monitor 3G ($2.99).
- After you’ve downloaded an app for two-way communication, open it up and search for your camera’s name. When you’ve found it, select it and press connect. When you’re connected to your camera app, open another app that works with this type of connection.
- After everything is successfully connected, your iPhone will be ready to send an audio/video feed wirelessly to the other iPhone or iPad that has a video display.
- When you want to turn off the connection, open up the settings app on your connected phone and disconnect or log out of it.
Now you can use your iPhone as a video feed for your baby monitor. No need to invest in another device. Please note that using this method does not provide true continuous monitoring of your child, because you have to be looking at the device to keep it active.
You can use an iPhone or other devices such as iPod Touch and Android phone which supports free apps like Google’s own baby monitor app to turn your Android phone into a baby monitor for up to 3 cameras.
Use iPad/iPhone as Baby Monitor for Free using Luna
You can download Luna Baby Monitor with Video on Appstore on both the iPads or iPhones and this will enable you to use your Apple devices like baby monitors. Luna is the best baby monitor application with an intuitive set of features and premium service for iOS devices.
The Luna app is a free baby monitor that turns the iPhone or iPad into a live video baby monitor. The app can be used with a Wi-Fi network and has automatic night vision mode supported. Two-way communication is enabled through the app or any device capable of calling. Professional support is available.
Features of Luna:
- – Free app to use iPhone as baby monitor (no subscription necessary)
- – Turn an iPhone or iPad into a baby monitor;
- – Camera and display/screen unit
- – Live video for baby monitor
- – Works with Wi-Fi network
- – Automatic night vision mode supported
- – Two way communication enabled through app or device capable of calling
- – Professional support available.
- – Works on other devices that have video calling capabilities like iPod Touch, Android phone etc.
Use Cloud Baby Monitor App with iPhone or iPad to make a baby monitor
Cloud Baby Monitor app by VIGI Limited can enable you to turn your iPhone or iPad into a video baby monitor. You can easily uses this app with your household WiFi network.
Cloud Baby Monitor is the best baby monitor application for iOS devices because it’s got an intuitive set of features and premium service. Cloud Baby Monitor has an automatic night vision mode that makes sure to help you keep a watchful eye on your little one even when they’re sleeping. Two-way communication is enabled through the app or any device capable of calling and there’s professional support available.
- You can pay $4.99 to get premium features and use this app to enable you to turn your iPhone/iPad into a baby monitor.
- Camera and display/screen unit;
- Works with Wi-Fi network;
- Automatic night vision mode supported;
- Two-way communication enabled through app or device capable of calling;
- Professional support is available.
- Works on other devices that have video calling capabilities like iPod Touch, Android phone, etc.
- Can stream to Apple TV, Apple Watch, iPad, or iPhone.
This Cloud monitor app gives you extremely high-quality video with Apple’s retina display and crisp audio with Unrestricted Range (Wi-Fi, 3G, LTE, Bluetooth), Noise, and Motion Notifications.
I am Ashley Davis, a mom of three kids and the editor here at Motherhood HQ (formerly 10BabyGear). I have been a parent since 2011 and have been doing full-time consulting as a baby sleep expert since 2019. When I am not researching or testing the next baby gear hitting the market, you’ll find me teaching my toddlers a trick or two – especially over the last few months with the lockdown. I hope you’ll find my guides and reviews helpful as you make your next purchase decision. If you have any questions, you can reach me at email@example.com.