VTech VM919 Review – Overview
Vtech VM 919 is one of VTech’s new releases from 2020 and is a step up from the entry-level VM819, so you get more features and better screen quality. It is the perfect choice for people looking for a baby monitor with great image quality.
The parent unit sports the industry’s largest 7-inch screen monitor with 720p high-definition picture quality so you can capture all your little one precious moments in crisp clear quality and large pictures that can be seen even from a distance. It has a built-in wide-angle lens that gives you a panoramic view of the whole room. Moreover, Vtech uses auto filter technology to ensure pictures that are true color, and you can zoom in up to 4 times digitally for an up-close view so that looking at your baby feels just like you never left their room.
The camera is also highly adjustable with 100-degree tilt and 270-degree panning capabilities; you can easily monitor your little one from any angle and see what they are up to, which is especially great for monitoring little climbers.
The monitor has a reliable transmission range of up to 1000 feet to keep you connected even when out in the yard. And with the intercom, you can always talk to your baby to comfort them when they start fussing, or you can activate the calming lullabies and white noise right from your parent device to lull your little one back to sleep.
Another great benefit of this monitor is that it has sound indicator lights so that you can mute the sound when you need some quiet time to relax and still be able to tell what is going on in your baby’s room. And you can also turn the screen off, and if the VOX mode is activated, it will turn the screen back on if the camera detects noise in your baby’s room. This also helps conserve power.
If you care for great picture quality, this Vtech model is perfect. Set up is easy as with all non-Wi-Fi monitors because you just need to plug in both baby and parent units and then switch on. As you would expect from the 7-inch screen, this parent unit is quite bulky, but it comes with a kickstand to prop it up on the tabletop. It also has an antenna to improve signal strength.
VTech VM919 Features
- Extra-large 7-inch screen
- Camera with built-in 110-degree wide-angle lens for panoramic viewing
- Pan 270° Tilt 110°
- 4X zoom, which is significantly better than 2X zoom most cameras have
- Two-way talkback
- Temperature sensor
- Automatic infrared night vision
- VOX mode with three sensitivity levels
- Sound indicator lights
- 5 lullabies and 4 ambient sounds
- 1000 ft transmission range
- 2700mAH rechargeable battery
VTech VM919 Pros
Clear, vivid pictures
Vtech VM919 is optimized to give you large pictures that are full of life. It achieves that by using high definition resolution and displaying on a large 7-inch screen that one can see clearly even at a distance.
The camera can scan 360 degrees to allow your whole room viewing with 270° pan and 100° tilt capability. The wide-angle lens on this monitor is built-in, so you don’t need to buy separately or change lenses.
Secure signal transmission
You don’t need to worry about creepy hackers taping into your baby’s signal with the VTech VM919 baby monitor since it uses non-wifi FHSS technology which encrypts and transfers the signal over a 2.4GHz channel. Check out these secure non-wifi monitors that use FHSS technology.
Long transmission range
VM919 transmits a reliable signal over 1000ft on open space, but the manufacturer hasn’t disclosed its indoor range. However, most people are satisfied with the consistent connectivity throughout their homes. There is also a rotating antenna to improve reception if you have inconsistencies.
VTech VM919 Cons
Short battery life
This is not the best option if you are looking for a long-lasting battery. Many customers report that the battery runs out after only a few hours of charging, sometimes even when the screen is dimmed, and the sound is turned off. The manufacturer fails to disclose how long to expect the charge to last.
It switches to dim mode after only a few minutes.
Many reviewers have complained that it dims after five minutes so that you can’t see anything. They have also noted that the only way to remedy this was to turn off sound detection and auto wake up, which is counterintuitive, especially also considering it has VOX mode that does the same.
Vtech VM919 is a non-expandable unit that only pairs with the one camera that is included. If you want to monitor multiple rooms then this is not the baby monitor for you.
You can get the manual here.
VTech VM919 Video Review
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a grand-mom to two boys and is part of the review board here at Motherhoodhq.com. She is responsible for the quality control of content and is among our most experienced moms. She has over 20 years of writing parenting content online focussing on baby safety indoors and outdoors. She has written widely on babyproofing nurseries and homes for infants and toddlers and published work on privacy and the safety of baby monitors. She is a renowned advocate for non-wifi baby monitors that cannot be hacked and spends a lot of time educating parents on how to secure their homes – including ways to secure the baby from harm in and around homes. Sandra is a native of Atlanta where she also works. She can be reached using her email, Sandra.w(at)motherhoodhq.com
VTech VM919HD Video Monitor with 7-inch True-Color HD 720p Display, Fully Remote Pan, Tilt, Zoom, 360 Panoramic Viewing, 110 Wide-Angle View, HD Night Vision, Up to 1000ft Range, Secured Transmission
$131.90 in stock
16 used from $57.43
- [2022 Upgraded Model with up to 15 Hrs Battery Life] - With New 5000mAh rechargeable battery you can get up to 15 hours of video streaming allowing you to easily monitor your baby throughout the night on one charge with the industry's best battery life
- [7 inch True-Color HD Wide Angle Display] Check in on your little one on the industry's largest 7" parent unit in 720p High Definition; The wide-angle lens with IR-Cut auto filter, delivers 110 degrees wide angle & true-to-life colors
- [Pan Tilt & Zoom with 4x Zoom] Fully remote Pan & Tilt achieved 360-degree panoramic viewing, with camera pans up to 270-degree side to side, tilts 100-degree up & down; The camera zooms up to 4 times using the parent unit; Use a damp cloth for cleaning
- [HD Night Vision, VOX Control, Auto-On Screen & Sound Indicators] Keep an eye on your baby in night with HD Night-Vision; You can keep monitoring with screen off mode as it picks up any sound over your VOX settings to trigger ON the screen
- [Lullabies with Long Range] With up to 1,000 feet of range stay connected with your baby from anywhere in home; Comfort your baby by playing them lullabies (5 calming melodies, 4 ambient sounds)